1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you get over saying something stupid?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, May 5, 2015.

1. Anongirl123

How do you get over a cringeworthy moment? I was talking to someone today, and I accidentally exaggerated something. When I did a fact check, I realized I was wrong, and felt like an idiot. I don't know if it would be more even more awkward to correct myself when I get the chance.

How do you get over those awkward, embarrassing, or stupid things you said in the past that come to haunt you at the most random moments? Thinking "just forget about it" doesn't seem to be working.

2. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Put it in the past. Look at it, find it wrong/silly occasionally, but don't stare! It's behind you!

3. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on what it was. Don't be too hard on yourself. After all, you say it was an honest mistake. I would hope the other person is understanding. We can't be expected to remember everything perfectly.

If it isn't a big deal, then I forget about it. The other person might not even remember it soon enough.

If I think it's important, I'll probably correct myself, next time I see that person. Generally, the sooner, the better. I'm of the opinion that it's usually better to get awkwardness over with, whenever possible.

I hate feeling like an idiot. But I tell myself that it's very human to be wrong sometimes... as difficult as it can be to accept that. If I make a mistake, I might joke about it, to lighten the atmosphere. I agree with Purp's positive attitude about this.

4. LD579

It happens. Make mistakes, don't dwell too long, and move on and learn from them.

5. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope the other person forgets about. Draw attention away from it. That's what I do. I might not forget it, but they will hopefully -_-

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Blush brightly, get really quiet, and run away with all due speed. :astonished:

Lol the best way is to admit that it was stupid and get on with whatever it was you're doing. Nobody can truly claim they've never said anything they regret, so it's basically a non-issue.

7. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Realise that what's done is done, it's in the past now and you can't go back to change it. Accept that and then try to stay mindful by trying hard not to say/do stupid things in the future. I've got to heed this, but sometimes it's so hard and I slip up. That's part of being a human. No one is perfect, we make mistakes.

8. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Self-deprecation.

If I know I fucked up, the first person to point it out and make fun of it will be me. For one, it disarms everyone else in the situation since I basically took their ammunition and shot myself with it; although really it has more to do with the fact that absolutely no one is harder on me than myself, and I don't know how to hide that or "play it cool." So I'm just upfront about it, which usually works out for the best.

#8 Rawrzilla, May 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
  9. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    this.

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Make up for it with something smart :slight_smile:

11. White Knight

Put your foot into your mouth?

They will amaze at your agility at least... I know I would. :grin:

Just smile and don't dwell on it too much. We all make mistakes. At least you didn't say something that would hurt someone.

12. HugasaurusRex

I do and say so many things that would make most people cringe that I have become used to it, also my friends know that my mind fleets all the time from one thing to another, I can never stay focused on one thing of topic, so stupidity is always around the corner. But it is part of who I am and what makes me me.

13. Lawlett

Lawlett Guest

Thinking of something stupid I said earlier...

[​IMG]

Remembering person's expression...

[​IMG]

Freak out a little bit...

[​IMG]

Goes to person and repents of mistake...

[​IMG]

Person has one of two responses...

[​IMG]

Or...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Either way, you will be okay. The past is the past and what happened in the past stays in the past...

[​IMG]

Now was all of this just an excuse to use awesome gifs and not to help you with your unsolvable problem? You decide.

[​IMG]