1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overly compassionate for others

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, May 7, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes I feel this way and I do it all the time and i don't think it is necessary a bad thing. I have love for history, genealogy and I love hearing people's stories no matter if they were a rich man in high society or a poor alcoholic struggling to provide for his family. I have many walks of life in my own family and no matter the good or bad things they did I wanna hear about them and understand possibly why they did the things they did I am not saying I could understand a violent act or anything like that unless it was a war act or self defense you get what I mean. Believe me when researching my history i look in the all kinds of records even arrest books because it all fascinates me. It is not just about researching history like if someone commits suicide in my community it personally hits me having been down that road and also having family members who been there. I try to understand their struggles in some way not that I would need know every detail or ask about it just sit and think about that person in a respectful way. I am kind of person who think nothing is better until everyone is achieving their goals or dreams in life. Until everyone is preserving in this world nothing is a done deal. I am a shy person and no would expect to be a activist for the unheard but I always dreamed of being one. I was that young kid reading history books, dreaming of being a politician, and even wrote my own version of Martin Luther King's dream speech when I was like ten years old. Anyone else feel this way?

#1 dano218, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. DinelodiiGitli

Yep.
    I'm not sure how common it is but I'm quite similar. It's so bad I've developed derealization as a coping mechanism.

3. AAASAS

Mine is bad enough that is can affect my daily life.

In highschool I was excused from watching videos about genocide, the holocaust, or basically any terrible things because it actually made me depressed. I remember having to arguing with my teacher about how I should be excused from watching videos like that. They actually make me cry and get really down about the world.

I also wasn't allowed to watch the majority of animal themed movies because I couldn't bare watching animals get hurt. I can remember being 13 watching the first scene of Braveheart and having to leave because I couldn't handle watching the horses get hurt, even though it was all fake.

I've never felt to be somoene to do anything about it because I think i would most likely end up killing myself if I had to listen to all human suffering, I just can't handle, it doesn't take much to make me a cry, I'm a massive pussy.

There is a girl with a mental disability that works at Wal-Mart in my town and she is a greeter, and I literally dread going there if she is gonna be working because all I wanna do is give her a hug and get to know her and just enjoy her company. I know its bad because I'm giving pity that may not be warranted, but I literally just want to make everyone feel good and can't stand watching anyone suffer. This girl timidly stands in the corner and doesn't greet anyone, and I just really wanna be her friend, not even her care-taker or anything like that, I just wanna do whatever she wants to do for fun with her, and just get to know her and enjoy her as a person. haha fucking tearing up just writing that. She went to my highschool and I used to always try to talk to her but it was really hard cause of how socially awkward she was, and I know she knew I was just trying to be nice, I wish I could reach out to her without it seeming like charity, cause it's not, I genuinely am interested in her and wanna make her smile.

4. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    You kind of remind me of me since I am all about history and politics. I read about history all the time, including the nastiest bits of it. I don't know if I'm "overly compassionate", but I do seek to understand almost everyone. I don't just accept "they're crazy" or "they're evil" as a satisfactory explanation for why someone does something. I need to know more than that. And I'm the person who has a really hard time disliking people. That's why I don't desire revenge and don't like capital punishment. And even on a smaller scale, when my friends say they don't like someone I know, I just can't feel that way. I end up feeling bad for that person instead.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks I appreciate that. I tend to overthink and overanalyze things but sometimes that can be avery good thing and means you think about whatever comes out of month instead of irrationally hurting someone's feelings or even hurting yourself

---------- Post added 7th May 2015 at 08:33 PM ----------

That is a interesting perspective. But when it comes to the disabled girl you know I have to be honest. As a disabled person myself If I found out someone was being nice to me based on my disability solely on my disability I would be completely offended and put off. Like I am more than a person than that. Like me for my personality or something else but if your talking me because I am the "poor disabled kid" than that is pathetic of you. I am sorry if I assumed wrong I understand though emotions get the best of you but as a fellow disabled person I had to mention what that friendliness can come across as. Please be there for the right reasons and I praise you if you are.

#5 dano218, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It takes a lot for me to dislike a person. Even people who annoy or irk me, I don't not like them unless they go out of their way to make my life a living hell. I also find it impossible to hold grudges against others, and I also don't believe in capital punishment as Tennyson said. I try to apply a humanistic psychological theory to life, all of that "Everyone has the natural potential to thrive" and stuff Psychologists like Maslow and Rogers said.

7. Justinian20

I'm not overly compassionate at all, but I am interested in the stories of people and how they became who they are. I also have never hated people ever. I did occasionally say something I didn't like about the person especially when that person took something I did and made it their own without acknowledging me In what they were doing. But I would say I never have felt the pain of others cause I was dealing with my own problems and I always felt alone and different, so I couldn't empathise with anyone

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Mercy is for the weak.

[​IMG]

Not really, but that'll have to wait.