1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My school's homophobia ugh

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Demure, May 7, 2015.

1. Demure

In the land of Sunshine,Lollipops, and Rainbows
    So my school has a GSA which is really awesome tbh. They put posters all around the school to put the word out and everything. But the problem is the fact that once they do, some of the posters get immediately tore down. It's really quite annoying. At one point someone even wrote the words "No feggets in dis scool". Although, I was really more appalled at the lack of literacy whoever wrote it had lmao. Anyway, anyone have an suggestions on what they should do?

2. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

My freshman year, the yearbook staff put a story in about a very much out & proud gay male student, who was a senior. I read the feature, & there was nothing offensive l in it at all, hardly even mentioned his sexuality, yet a lot of the Bible Belt soccer moms here took offense. There was even a Facebook page started by a local mom to throw yearbooks at him as he walked across the stage at graduation. The yearbook advisor was immediately reassigned to the middle school because so many people were upset with him for approving the feature.

This sounds like I'm being a smartass, but maybe stick the posters up higher than most kids can reach? Or, have announcements over the intercom instead of physical signs that people can deface.

3. guitar

I would write that comment under the homophobic comment on the poster "I don't know what's more appalling, your homophobia or your spelling."

4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ehh. I just wouldn't mind it. The GSA isn't for them at all, so who cares what they write on them. You said only some of the posters are getting vandalized, and I doubt it will have much effect on the GSA either way. It's a shame though.

5. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This especially sucks when everyone around you is pretending to be really accepting when they actually aren't. My school likes to pretend it's really forward by talking about the Day of Silence on the announcements, but they actually went a tangent about race/disabilites and didn't even mention homophobia. Like what's the point in announcing the Day of Silence if you aren't even going to talk about who it's about...?

Heck, today I overheard a conversation in my German class by two idiots sitting behind me. One said something like, "What would you do if your kid was gay? Would you keep it?" as if it were some casual thing. I think they noticed how I glared in their direction though, because they kept their conversation quieter afterwards.

6. AsiaJ33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very proud of my school about this stuff... @EleanorHunter, we do the day of silence too. But it's specifically done for LGBTQA+ members, with pride pins and all. We have a GSA too, and we even just added gender neutral bathrooms :thewave:

As for the problem... I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I don't have a solution for you, other than to ignore it. There are going to be idiots out there who don't care. But what are we gaining from letting it bother us? Well, it's sure not happiness. We have to ignore the people who bring us down, because after all, life is too short to stress ourselves about the people who don't deserve to be a problem to us anyway. Good luck :slight_smile:

7. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Someone should teach them a lesson...

8. Psaurus918

Yeah it's called being expelled. "Faggot" should be a hate crime at the HS level. Judging their spelling they aren't learning much anyways

9. Bravesole

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    my school had a support group and it took me a few months before I turned up had a shock because I knew two people. I almost turned round and walked out but No I stayed . I got allot of help I was only 14 and made some good mates who I still see today .

10. kamtra

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ive spent most of my life in catholic school and it kills me hearing everyone say how I'm going to hell but thankfully i got out of there when i did :lol:

11. biisme

Does your school have any of the bulletin boards that are in a locked case, behind glass? Similar to this?

[​IMG]

This would prevent other people from being able to touch the posters.