1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay rights in Moscow

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BILL9854, May 27, 2007.

1. BILL9854

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was just watching the news, and saw the report on the recent gay rights protest in Moscow. For those who haven't seen it, here's what happened.
    A group of gay people staged a peaceful protest in Moscow to campaign for gay rights, many of them were violently assaulted and arrested.
    One man was just talking to a news reporter about why they were protesting when someone ran up and punched him in the face for no reason, and police arrested HIM rather than his attacker, even though he'd done nothing, and according to the report this happened frequently.
    Also religious groups and other anti-gay groups showed up and chanted things like 'Russia without homosexuals', and one man said to the camera 'death to fags, death to all freaks'.
    It frightens and disgusts me that people can be so intolerant and ignorant in our time.

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to Uruguay. Here we gay/bi people are simply ignored by society. It's something people don't talk about.

3. GuitarGirl1350

That's how their culture is, I suppose. Kind of like America, isn't it?
    That's really sad though. It did manage to make CNN news.
    Blame the victim because you might hurt the attacker's feelings.

4. BILL9854

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It actually makes me thankful to live in england, which is nice because I often struggle to find things I like about this country (i say this while watching the rain on a holiday monday lol)

Makes you wonder if equality and acceptance will ever truly be reached... doubtful I think

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We're getting there, Bill.

Until 1969 gay sex was illegal. When I was your age the age of consent was 21 (a lifetime away when leaving school at 16), and I can remember it coming down to 18 then 16. It is now illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, we have civil partnerships (not quite marriage, but not far off), etc....

All this has come about in my lifetime, and I'm only in my early 40s.

There is still a long way to go (especially with public rather than legal acceptance), but we are moving steadily in the right direction and are ahead of many countries.

6. Micah

You find that each generation is becoming more and more tolerant.

A survey was conducted 1 or 2 years ago, which found that that something like 57% of people aged 40-60 had a problem with homosexuality.

While only 21% of people aged 18-28 had a problem with it.

As time goes on, awareness spreads. With each new generation comes more open mindedness and acceptance.