1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I getting a bit extreme in my activism? (venting)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MouseKeeper, May 8, 2015.

1. MouseKeeper

I'm always encountering bigots who insist non-heterosexuality is wrong. It's gotten to the point where I have nothing more to discuss, and instead I resort to mockery.

Because of the fact that lgbt people in the past were killed for being gay/lesbian/bi, and still are in some countries, I'm so tempted to shove the success down the throats of homophobic people, and intentionally anger them even more by pointing out the rage they feel for losing almost every legal battle so far. It makes it harder to resist when we call them out on their nonsense, and they cry persecution because they can't handle rebuttles/criticism.

Thing is, I don't know if I'm going overboard, or not. I have a hard time taking them seriously anymore, because their arguments are a joke. They have no scientific basis, they aren't founded on logic, they're infested with logical/formal fallacies, and they're insulting, degrading, and hateful. You can't have a serious discussion with them because they resort to using their god to justify their bigotry/homophobia when you back them into a corner. I just don't know if I should relax, or what. Do homophobic people ever anger you to the point where you want to tell them "in your face"? Or am I going insane?

#1 MouseKeeper, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. Jolly Roger

Oh yeah I get to this point all the time. You really just have to make sure that if you do mock them, make sure you're being clever and not just making yourself look just as non-intellectual as they are. I don't know your specific arguments, but generally I don't think your going overboard. My advice is, whatever you do don't be hateful in your arguments, it just makes their asinine views seem tangible.

3. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What I wonder is why you have these discussions in the first place.

4. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

Practically all I've done for the past two years is be a snarky bitch to people I disagree with. Last year I was a lot angrier, & I regret that, but people don't say ignorant things to me as much anymore, so it has its benefits. However, my dad likes to get me riled on purpose, so be wary of folks like that.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If you want to "win" an argument, you can't get pissed or negative.

The moment you do, it screws up the mood. People will associate how you make them feel, with whatever issue you're discussing, and this is a death wish when trying to convince somebody.

You have to look and sound like you know what you're talking about, as if it is so matter of fact, and convey that upon your audience/opponent. Doing so chips away at your opposition until they have to get emotionally invested, because they're banking on you losing your cool, and resort to such tactics.

If you're going for sarcasm or snark, you've got to make it more-funny and less-critical. Balance that sarcasm!

You don't convert the opposition, you collect the masses. Take away their audience, you take away their ability to enforce dominance. But most importantly, in my experiences with public speaking and debates:

You don't have to be right, you just have to appear right.

6. Ashleigh16

I completely understand. As an evangelical
    Conservative Christian planning on going into ministry I get it a lot. And same in my political work as a conservative

7. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    She nailed it.

In a way it's not worth it, to get involved with such folks, but we have at least to try, unless we want to join the hypocrites who complain about the lack of understanding while refusing to playing their own role.

Activism should be extreme. Rights won't be kindly given to you just by asking, specially if you are trying to take someone's privilege/power/resources away (actively or passively, which is the case).

8. CyanChachki

I definitely understand your frustration. They'll say and do anything to upset us and make us look like the villains, taking away their freedoms and rights when it's quite the opposite. The thing with bigots is that they're so stuck on being right because they fear change. They're afraid to admit that they're wrong because then that means that their faith in their religion or their way of life has been completely off course and wrong and that makes them feel very insecure. No one wants to feel insecure, especially people who desperately rely on a religion to guide them.

Here's the answer. DO NOT let them get under your skin. They want that as a way of power, to control you. These people are stubborn and will come up with every indecent little answer to your facts in order to remain control. If they say things like "You're going to burn in hell" or "You're disgusting!!" then just simply come up with a witty response or ignore it and leave it at that. They don't want to reason and probably never will.

9. LazyBirb

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are not going overboard there bro, in fact I think you can go a little more. Make sure that you don't stoop to the level of crappy insults like they do, and make sure you keep a level head. Bigots and homophobes will definitely get far in life but just know that you are in true and in magnificent fact, better than them. Hell, dance around the homophobes in public (not literally) with clever combacks and make them as flustered and frustrated as possible. They can't do shit.

10. Lyana

I have never encountered extreme homophobia, so have had no cause to be extreme in my advocacy. I prefer to have a serious, reasoned discussion -- and if the other party still refuses to agree with me, we eventually part ways.
    For some people, reason isn't going to work. I think you're better off not wasting your time and energy on them, but if you enjoy it, sure, go ahead. I don't think you're insane.

More than a year after mariage equality passed here though, I was discussing it with my parents, who were against it. They still are, and eventually I couldn't hold it in anymore and gloatingly said: "You lost, and we won!" Not my most brilliant argument.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think resorting to mockery will accomplish anything.

12. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

#12 Batman, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  13. Posthuman666

Now their arguments aren't even meaningful. Now that same-sex marriage is legal in the states, they have no purpose. Give them a few months before they realize how stupid they are.