1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can your Miggs-bryer personality type change?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, May 9, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

I'm just curious because usually when I take that test I get INTP ( or maybe INTJ I can't really remember anymore ) but the most recent time I took it I got INFP which is something I've never gotten before so I'm wondering if your results can change.

2. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Your type is defined when you become a teenager or a young adult. When you're a kid you may display a few of the functions which will later on develop into your type. But no, your type doesn't change.

You're probably mistyping yourself, and that's pretty common, really. I often scored ISTJ, ISTP and INTP though I am really an ISFP. Forums like PersonalityCafe and TypologyCentral really helped me out and they have a lot of resources :slight_smile:

3. Yosia

Peoples personalities change over time so sure your Miggs-Bryer result can change.

4. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I can't trust mbti because it's so subjective.
    The irony is that I did do a lot of research on that and I can say I'm an INFP.
    It's terribly common to mistype yourself early plus...confirmation bias.

5. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are two basic theories of personality. They go back really to classical times, and psychologists differ in their views now.

One view holds that personality is basically a fixed aspect of the individual. Prenatal and environmental factors hardwire a personality into the brain. When this becomes fixed is contested, but certainly by early adulthood.

The other view is that personality can change throughout life. Recent studies in neuroplasticity support this view - and I admit I favour it, just because I always hope I can change for the better. It seems the brain can be rewired at any stage, even people in their 80s or 90s can change. But what usually happens is we become more like ourselves, as our behaviour constantly reinforces the neural pathways. To change requires either a concerted effort to act differently, or a traumatic event which changes everything.

6. Simple Thoughts

I just try and answer the questions as honestly as I can. I ended up retaking the test and the second time I took my time and thought about every question and it came back INFP again. As I said before, I don't normally get INFP so to get it twice in a row has me baffled a bit.

---------- Post added 9th May 2015 at 01:06 PM ----------

I've always been of the mind that personality can change, but I also considered the Miggs Bryer to be a sort of baseline area that is pretty stable.

7. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol Miggs-Bryer...it's Myers-Briggs, by the way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think that for the most part, personalities don't change. You may learn to be more social and do better in social situations, but you're never going to stop being an introvert, for example. Subtle differences in MBTI test results might just be due to being in a different mood answering questions or taking a different test. But I doubt someone could go from being an ISFJ to being an ENTP or something like that.

8. Simple Thoughts

Oh oops guess I got my words all mixed up >.<

It's a common issue on my mother's side of the family. We can't get a name right to save our lives.

Well hmm...maybe I should take it again on a different site and see what changes.

9. Gandee

Gandee Guest

To Simple Thoughts: Have you tried to look at the difference between a introverted thinking dominant and a introverted feeling dominant? Even among the same type we can have very different personalities. It might help if you try to evaluate your decision making process. Both INFP and INTP have Judging as their primary functions so it can be confusing.

10. Simple Thoughts

I find to an extent I can identify with both INTP and INFP fairly well. Though I'm looking it up and it seems that these informal tests online are not the same as taking the official test.

I took the test via a program for gifted students back in 8th grade though ( the offical version ) but hell if I remember what type I was given =P

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They can change. I've gotten ESTJ in the past. The E has now changed to I.

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting question. I honestly don't know. I think we have preferences with the MBTI cognitive processes, no matter what job or role w're doing. I read somewhere that MBTI cognitive processes can become better balanced as a person gets older.

I might have experienced changing MBTI types. I was surprised by the MBTI type I scored at college. But it could be that I kind of acted as that type and it gave the impression that I was indeed that type. Plus I was still only a teenager.

Call me odd, but I seem to take on a bit of the personality of the person I'm talking with. I mostly hang around INFJs and I'm pretty sure that's influenced me.

[Youtube]pSNTdSSLauQ[/Youtube] and yeah I just realised you probably don't need me to link the video but it could help others lol

13. Gandee

Gandee Guest

If the test asked about punctuality and "do you prefer large group or small group of people", it has no credibilty :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, I don't like the idea that I can't change myself, and I want to be who and what I make myself, not some predetermined robot. I am my own creation, and all that.

15. Simple Thoughts

I just think it'd be nice to have some level of clarity when it comes to knowing who you are.

My sense of identity is a giant all over the place mess. There are a few things that stay the same: My religious beliefs ( however my views on religion have varied greatly. I've been the moderator, the negotiator, the angry atheist shouting aobut dumb religion, and the 'i don't care do what you want' kinda person and it's very sparratic and random ), My political views ( though some of the finer points might change ), and my social views ( Not too much has changed here actually. Don't hate gay people and my distaste for modern feminism never vary much ). All the little things though and even how I view myself ( whether I hate myself, like myself, love myself ) all seemed to just bounce around day after day.

Having even the slightest grasp on a sense of who I am to start working things out would be fantastic. X3

Suppose asking for a group of 4 letters to stay consistent is asking a little too much tough >.>

16. 741852963

I'd say most definitely.

I don't think any of these psychometric tests are 100% accurate (I actually think they are a load of rubbish if I'm being honest), the questions asked are far too subjective and influenced by changes in mood.

Lets say for example a highly closeted person takes the test. They are likely going to show strongly in introversion, and probably score weakly in areas of leadership and assertiveness. A few years down the line they could be out and full of confidence, showing as an extroverted leader type.

And the same goes for anyone, our life experiences can greatly influence our outlook on life and how we view ourselves, and these tests all rely strongly on that self-assessment. I think the only valid use of such tests is getting a "snapshot" of a person's personality at a specific point in time. I don't think you can categorise a person for life, no.

#16 741852963, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  17. Simple Thoughts

Makes enough sense, and you're right about the 'closeted' statement. I hadn't even considered that, but it makes a lot of sense.

18. 741852963

Exactly, it is far too black and white so completely misses the complexity of human personality.

I personally love big groups, but only in short doses and if indoors. I could spend hours happily in small groups, and am content on my own provided I have a task to do otherwise I get lonely or bored.

Try to get that from a simple yes-no question! I dare you!

19. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    There's a chance you might be an INFP - since you got this result when you answered the questions honestly - but personality tests are very unreliable. Tests won't provide you with a thorough (and useful) analysis of your cognitive patterns and traits, which is the main point of the MBTI: to tell apart your way of thinking.

From my experience in the matter, there are other types of evaluations which are much more capable of doing that. If you're interested, you could answer one of the questionnaires available on MBTI forums, or learn more about the theory. You could also frequent various type forums to see if you can get along and if you share an identity with the group (like I said, if you are inclined to think along the same lines). I strongly recommend PerC's questionnaires :slight_smile:

#19 Weregild, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

There's a difference between getting a different result on a test and a change in your entire personality I think.. all kinds of variables effect the first thing like the accuracy of your answers, and the validity of the test in the first place... but your personality, something that's been shaped by years of personal experience and preference isn't changed so easily. I could see changing a letter or two though, I tend to float in between INFP and INFJ myself as far as I can tell.