1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medication

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, May 9, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is not an medical issue or anything personal that but it is something that I think needs to be talk about. I never realized until now how much danger our liver can get into when it comes to medication, alcohol or whatever else can cause damage. Even a well minded person who is simply taking medications prescribed by a doctor can die because they are taking way too much medication and yes maybe they forget to take it and take it more often because of forgetfulness but still there is a great danger in today's society when it comes to medications. I admit I abused sleeping pills and I liked the affects of them but than I became addicted to them couldn't sleep without them. Started taking a few a night. Now I cut down way down and barely touch them. Medications may sound like a life savior for many people but also can kill you when you least expect it and I think something in our society needs to be done about it. What are your thoughts?

2. Yosia

Anything can kill you at anytime. We as humans are getting too paranoid about what we can and cant do and eventually, we will just be eating lettuce and drinking water by the exact millilitre What fun is that?

I understand that drugs and medicine are very dangerous, but they are prescribed in a perfectly safe dosage, unless you decide to overdose, but that is not the medications fault. You can even become seriously ill by eating too many bananas...

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok. This happened to me personally someone in my life died and the over use of medication might of caused his death and probably should mentioned that in my post. This is not a joking matter. My dad gets his liver checked every time he goes to the doctor cause he needs to take many medications so the doctor makes sure he is not overusing them so it is not just a paranoia type of thing. Of course anything can kill you but having had liver related deaths in my family I take things like this very seriously no matter how stupid it sounds.

#3 dano218, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My doctor diagnosed me with fatty liver, and I take 7 medications. I think there could be a correlation despite the fact my doctor claims my fatty liver was through weight gain. Note: I have never touched a drink in my life.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting. I am not talking about medication out of paranoia because I have my faults too but I am saying this because it is problem in our society. We have people who die of liver diseases I cannot make that up and they did not overdose or intend on harming their liver. I think is very reasonable for doctor to do liver examinations on people. You know I had a loss in my life recently and this a personal subject for me and i think it needs to be discussed as a society. The problem with society is when we ignore issues out there and just take it as a part of life such as suicide, drug addiction,and other problems we face. Not that I would take way people's civil liberties but there does need to support out there.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can hardly function without my medicine, so no, I'm not willing to stop taking it.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I want to ban all medication and alcohol to protect our bodies and our livers especially lol jeez

---------- Post added 9th May 2015 at 11:24 AM ----------

No it is not the point. Medication is essential to our lives but at the same time when your liver enzymes are elevated it concerns a doctor. I learned this from my dad and in no means do I want to ban medication.

#7 dano218, May 9, 2015
  8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's unreasonable to say that western society is over medicated. There is clear evidence that we have over prescribed and reduced the efficiacy of antibiotic drugs.

I would also venture that we are over prescribing anti-depressants. Many people who take these drugs every day would gain more benefit from decent therapy and lifestyle adjustments. Dishing out pills is often not the answer, but it happens anyway.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well when you read about potential side effects, it says something of the nature "remember, your doctor prescribed this because they believe the benefit to your health outweighs the potential for negative side effects." Certain medications people need, so there's really no debate. Certain medications improve your quality of life so you just have to judge if the improvement is worth the risk. Some may even cancel out the negative effects. For example, in the case of sleeping pills, it's possible the benefits from good sleep may outweigh the detriments of medication.

The thing with the liver is that everyone has slightly different drug-metabolizing enzymes (cytochromes), so drugs affect people different. Some people may make a toxic byproduct during metabolism that gives them side effects, others may not. Eventually medicine will be more personalized but until then... I still think the benefits of many medications outweigh the risk.

10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is also the dangerous side effects of medication that can cause other problems. Such as dry mouth, irritation, tiredness, and other health issues. Of course every med has side effects and they suck and as necessary as medication is there is needs to more studies on this subject and creating meds without damaging side effects.

This is like me Accusing someone of banning guns cause they want background checks. I am not taking about banning meds or even alcohol for that matter.

#10 dano218, May 9, 2015
  11. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Eventually we all die anyway. I'm not necessarily afraid of taking drugs, but I think everyone would be afraid in their life once about taking new drugs or medication.

12. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like all medical interventions, medicine should always be prescribed and taken on a risk/benifit basis where as the benifit should outweigh the risk.

I take 4 - 5 different medications to control my asthma. That may sound a lot, and some of the tablets I take have to be constantly monitored through blood tests due to the narrow therapeutic index (too low and they don't work, too high and they are neurologically unsafe and can cause seizures and damage), but the benifit I receive greatly outweighs the risk.

Without my medications, my asthma would rapidly deteriorate and I would end up very ill in hospital, or worse. Alcohol is also a no no for me on these meds due to how they affect my tablets and asthma.

I agree, sometimes people are quick to end up on meds, but if everyone follows the prescribing guidelines, there shouldn't be an issue.

Happy days :slight_smile:

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well yeah my bf died at 47 had more life to live and possibly if he hadn't been taking too many medications while sometimes taking it more than once cause he innocently forgot. He died a very natural death but jeez i know it might of harmed him without knowing it. Also medication can cause addiction especially sleeping pills as I was addicted to them myself but now after my bf died I cut way down. We don't wanna be irrational or paranoid about this we just should be looking into these possible deadly outcomes from doctor prescribed medication. Also please refrain from insulting my bf's memory he was good person who had is faults and I still love him regardless of it.

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whatever personal mis-givings we might have about medication, I think it's important to say that you should always continue to take drugs prescribed by a doctor unless/until you are told otherwise. To discontinue treatment without medical supervision can be even more risky to health.

15. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm trying to cut back on medicine, I'm feeling better just being on a lower dose. All the medication I've been on hasn't helped that much and on a few occasions made me feel worse.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why would you say that? For me, therapy has been utterly useless, and anti-depressants are really the only way I can function.

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Made a thread with no bad intentions and I get stepped on over and again and assumptions get made. Jeez.

18. TheStormInside

I'm on several medications for mental and physical health issues. I do worry about being overmedicated at times, but then I think back to when I wasn't medicated and how I couldn't really function. It's a tough balance to strike. People talk a lot about the overprescription of antibiotics these days a lot, too, and I'm struck with embarrassment because I take them as a prophylactic due to immunological issues. I think at times doctors do just feel pressed to throw a drug at a problem rather than getting to the root of the issue. When you only have 15 minutes or so with each patient it's hard to do any real "investigative" medicine and often people want a pill that will fix them rather than a complex lifestyle change. Still, a lot of the drugs people take *are* medically necessary. I'm sorry about what happened to your BF, that's terrible. The same thing happened to a friend of a friend who was only in his 20s. It does make one think twice about what we are putting in our bodies, but sometimes there's also just no other options, either.

19. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. Yeah medication is important to our lives and necessary to survive. See my bf had health issues and struggled to find out a cause for his problems. He kept wasting gas going to the clinic and back and these were real problems. The doctors just threw meds at him all his life and he got into that routine with good intentions and and I have do not resent him one bit for it. Anybody would have made the same mistake. Again this is NOT about banning medication which creates more harm than good and just finding better solutions for medication usage. The root of the problem is too the doctor cannot find the exact cause for the patient's problems and just attempts to solve it with meds only. If I had to take meds to improve my life I would and i do have medical issues also that require meds or I would be in trouble so this horrendous assumption in this thread that I would risk people's lives by banning meds is personally offensive.

#19 dano218, May 9, 2015
  20. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I worded my comments carefully. Many (not all) people would gain more benefit from decent therapy. Not all therapy is decent - point accepted. It's also true that some patients don't properly engage with therapy to derive any benefit from it.

There is a place for anti-depressants and some people absolutely need them, I don't question that for one minute, but many (not all) don't. So if we are prescribing anti-depressants to people who don't really need them, we are in fact over-prescribing.