1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handing notice in at work and feeling incredibly guilty.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GArchi1992, May 13, 2015.

1. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, potentially I have an offer of a job lined up. Better pay, better prospects, easier location for commuting and it would mean working in an environment with people closer to my own age. It sounds perfect but I still can't get over feeling guilty about leaving my current employer as they rely on me quite heavily in our office.

How can I tell them at work that I'm thinking of accepting the new job?! I feel as though they're going to hate me or something. I keep trying to remind myself that I've got to do what's best for me. But even so, I still feel kinda bad!

2. White Knight

How soon you have to start new job if you accept that offer?

You can offer your boss hiring new person and teaching them ropes for couple of weeks before you leave for new job.

If you explain them your reasons probably they will understand your decision to accept new offer.

What is bad, at least in my opinion, is not finding a new job but arriving work one morning and announcing you are not coming tomorrow... or not showing up at work suddenly to let them figure out you have a new job.

Hope everything works out on your favor.

3. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I never got a job but I think I can relate. I used to be part of an athletic team at my college and even though I wanted to quit for so long, I couldn't because of guilt. You're probably feeling like you're betraying then.
    The best thing is to build up enough courage and be honest with them. Yes they'll probably be sad that you're leaving but they won't hate you. If they care for you, they'll understand your needs.

4. tscott

Have a frank discussion with your boss. If your on really good terms, he may offer a counteroffer to keep you on. At worst, you offer to train the new person (depending on your requirements at the new job) and if possible 2 weeks notice. Congratulations.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In this economy, you do need to do what is best for you. Your current employer is in business, they may not be happy about it, but they will understand. It's best that you understand this for the rest of your working life: loyalty is a two-way street, and if a business is faltering, they would not hesitate to drop you if you cost too much.

What they may do, if you are indeed as valuable to your employer as you say you are, is give you a counter-offer. Otherwise, it is best to be a little hard-nosed when it comes to work, and do what is best for you. In fact, if they are relying on you heavily, it is probably because you are performing above expectations, but not paying you accordingly...think about that.

Do the math, let's assume you are getting an immediate 5% increase in salary at the new job. In a year, you get another, say, 3% increase. That 3% is on the already increased salary. Let's use some real numbers: say you are paid 40,000 at your current employer, a 5% increase translates to 42,000 right away at the new place. In a year, a 3% increase on that 42,000 becomes 43,260, the following year with another 3% increase: 44,558.

Now if you stay and can maybe expect a 3% increase in a year from now, you would be earning 41,200; but if you go to the new place, you will be earning 43,260 in a year's time. That's a 2,060 difference! In two years, again assuming a 3% increase in salary (possibly more if you have proven to be a valuable employee, as you are now, or you are promoted), you would be earning 44,558; at the old place, you would only be earning 42,436. Add an easier commute, and people with whom you can relate more easily, and the decision becomes easier.

Of course, there are other things to consider: is the new company in good financial shape? What is the overall shape of the industry at the new company? How do you see yourself getting along with your new supervisor? What are your longer-term goals with the new place, is there room for career advancement? etc. etc.

Good luck!

6. ms24601

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I completely agree. You shouldn't feel bad for wanting to grow in your career, because at the end of the day they probably wouldn't feel bad if they had to do something that would benefit them at your expense. With that being said, if your other job offer is guaranteed I think you should be honest with your current employer about your situation, talk to them and explain how this new opportunity could help your career, thank them for the opportunity they gave you and offer to give as much notice as you can within your possibilities.

I went through a similar experience a while ago, I had a job which I liked, it was a great work environment, but I got accepted in an exchange program and it was my last opportunity to do it cause I was almost done with my degree so of course I went. According to my contract I had to give a 5 day notice, I gave almost a one-month notice and explained how important that was for me. My supervisor completely understood and was cool with it, but the head of the department (whom I barely talked to anyway) was really nasty about the whole thing which I don't think it's fair. All you can do is be ethical about it, if they understand, great, but if they don't it's their problem, you did all you could.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as you give them two weeks notice, I don't see why you'd need to explain why you're quitting. If they insist, you could say that you're moving on to bigger and better things.

8. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can relate. I'm leaving my job in a few months to go back to school; I haven't told anyone yet as I still want to work the summer; but I was brought in basically to replace people as most of their employees are older, and getting ready to retire.

It's particular upsetting as their teaching me a couple trades I wasn't skilled in; so I feel like I'm taking advantage of them. Also, the guy mentoring me has really gone to bat for me, and stuck his neck out.

The thing is though. I gotta do whats best for me. This job isn't that. At least not at this point in my life.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About the part I bolded, there is a quote I would like to share with you:

The guy who mentored you did his job to the best of his ability; that is to his credit and to the credit of the organization. They have increased the general skill pool, which has an effect on everyone's wealth, it is a sown seed that will bear fruit one day, and who knows, you may find yourself returning if the opportunity is right for you.

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is such a tempting arrogance to think that our employers cannot carry on without us. It's vanity, pure and simple.

Sure, you're valuable to them; sure, they love you; sure, they invest in you. And just as surely, they'll do the same to your successor.

You are replaceable at that workplace. You are not replaceable in this Universe. Live *your* life...for you. They'll be fine without you.