1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is "interracial marriage" similar to "gay marriage" in that some ppl view it as...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, May 14, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ..."unnatural" or "sinful"?

Lately I've noticed that more and more people are accepting of same-sex marriage than ever before. However, there's still a significant portion of the population (especially in the US) that oppose gay people from getting married. I'm wondering if bringing up the topic of interracial marriage is a good source to use in order to prove that gay marriage is no different and that it's okay for gay people to get married. Do people who grew up in the 1950s and 1960s still believe that interracial marriage is "wrong," the same way some people still believe gay marriage is "wrong"?

I just hope to see that the vast majority of people will eventually approve of same-sex marriage, just like now the vast majority of people approve of interracial marriage (93% of American adults do, last time I checked).

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Re: Is "interracial marriage" similar to "gay marriage" in that some ppl view it as..

Yup, I'd agree

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Re: Is "interracial marriage" similar to "gay marriage" in that some ppl view it as..

You're potentially going to run into the "well, it's still a man and a woman" roadblock with this.

Still, it's enough of a similarity.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I agree.

5. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people

Interracial marriage is still wrong. It's "Adam and Eve", not "Adam and LaQuisha".

People did used to see interracial marriage the way people now see same-sex marriage: as something wrong, something sinful, and something to fight against. There are definite parallels.

6. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people

Im sorry, but again, I just laughed, and this ruined what I was about to seriously say.
    and, I am going to use that line in the future.

---------- Post added 14th May 2015 at 04:57 PM ----------

Ok, Im going to try anyway.
    Originally when the blacks were brought over as slaves, they were looked at as animals, sub human.
    for a white (human) to have sex with a black (animal) and I think we can all agree that sex with an animal was a bad thing. So the laws went on the books.
    as with all things, it took time for society to change its view, even after it was accepted that blacks were in fact human, just black humans, there were those that continued to look at them as nothing more than animals. So along with that view, the idea that the marriage was wrong stayed too. Over the years those people holding those ideas finally died off and the only thing left was a prejudice that the races shouldn't mix, other than the color most had no clue why, it just wasn't right.
    Fortunately society has come to a point where it is acceptable, and common. and I say fortunately because some of the most beautiful women today just happen to be the children of mixed marriage couples. ( hey, Im bi, I can look at them that way )

This really does not equate to the argument against gay marriage. But I still don't see a problem with two people that love each other being committed to each other in a marriage regardless of their individual sexes.

7. swagmaster

Tbf south of the border most people are mixed to some extent.
    I understand political corectness and border crossing politics would have you believe otherwise but most mexicans are some mix of the native peoples and the spanish. If not they are either white or nayive american usually.

8. Cider

Wait, people still care about interracial marriage?

Haha but seriously, interracial marriage/dating was a big problem like 10-20 years ago. Now, nobody, except for hardcore racists, cares.

I personally don't like it when people try to bring race issues into LGBT issues, to try to compare them, because they're different. Especially since racial rights have come a long way, (even though they still need progress) and gay rights are still underway.

Believe it or not, not every person that isn't white spends all of their life being afraid and prosecuted, and definitely not in the way that LGBT people are today. And this is coming from someone that isn't white too! :')

#8 Cider, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  9. swagmaster

People still don't aprove of it.
    Thats a similarity.

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Alabama didn't technically legalize interracial marriage until 1999 or 2000, and I still see racist clowns go on about how "mix breeding" is so offensive and terrible.