1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you handle pressure?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, May 15, 2015.

?

Can you handle pressure?

1. What is this pressure you speak of? I'm cool as a cucumber

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I prioritise everything and by doing that, remain calm

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. I'm ok-ish with pressure most of the time

21 vote(s)
    53.8%
  4. HELL NO! I crack under pressure!

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you work under pressure?

Someone looking over your shoulder every few minutes, getting a whole lot of urgent stuff given to you to do at once, etc.

I cannot handle pressure at all. I become overwhelmed and don't know where to begin or what to do first, and I get very nervous and stupid when someone is watching over my shoulder. I just can't work under pressure. And working in admin, there is a lot of pressure sometimes. I've had numerous emotional breakdowns because of it. So... how do you cope with pressure? (Could be in the work environment or at school/college).

2. White Knight

Tumble back. Take a step back. Just give yourself a breathing room. 5 minute probably won't help you much to finish your work but it can help you to relax and develop an attack plan on the matter at hand. Smoke, drink, eat or chew a gum to relax your tense muscles... muscles around my neck become so tense so doing something like that (not smoking anymore) unlocks them.

Try to stay calm. Let people who are looking over your shoulder that you can't work like that... it is that simple. I can't do anything while someone looking over my shoulder, playing games, drawing, writing or working. Let them know that extra tension can lead you to make mistakes...

Try to organize your work so you can cluster similar type of jobs or the ones you can finish simultaneously.

Remember, stay calm. Try to keep things simple for yourself. Don't let anyone or anything come between you and the task at hand.

These are what I am doing.

I said I am okay-ish because if I can pass that relax phase after tense moments I can find my way under pressure. Since my childhood I loved the rush comes with being under pressure. Sometimes when you have other things to worry about it becomes very hard or impossible.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I gave all of that up years ago. The daily grind was not my thing, I decided.

My best suggestion for dealing with pressure and a heavy workload is to have systems and routines in place and learn to prioritise your work. Be very strict about it and deal with tasks in a methodical way, so the oldest items are always cleared first. Bookmark your work, so you always know where you are.

If you don't use templates, create some and use them well. When I worked in an office I found myself answering the same questions and enquiries so often that it was quick and easy to use a template response. They save so much time and effort.

If you are able to delegate tasks - do so. If you are able to say "no calls", or "take a message" do that too.

Sometimes it's necessary to take a step back from the chaos and think about your systems. It can make a huge difference if you spend a little bit of time on this.

4. Lyana

Second option.

I can't do anything if someone is looking over my shoulder. It paralyzes me. In school when the teacher walked behind us to look at what we were doing, I would set my pen down and wait until they were further down the row.

I rarely panic, but if I feel like I have a lot of pressure or a work overload, I write down a list of tasks, in order, sometimes weeks in advance, and I use that to prove to myself that actually, it isn't so much, I can do it. And then I'm calm.

5. twosoups

I usually handle my own work fairly well. Even with short deadlines set. It is when the situation is out of my control that I start to stress out. Such as when my boss makes a rule that contradicts my job or won't do his job so I can do mine.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Like a Queen.

I'm so clever.

7. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

depend on the condition

i'm good at handling high pressure if i have prior knowledge / experience and certain specific algorithm or protocols to follow

but if i have no prior knowledge or no experience even though there are obvious algorithm or protocols then i'm sort of screwed. i maybe able to do it *eventually* but the result may not be what what my supervisor expected

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm ok under pressure. I get a tad freaked/stressed out, but I prioritize and get it done. But I HATE when people look over my shoulder all the time.

9. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I don't really care about pressure.
    If others look over my shoulders let them.It's not their problem and if they get annoying i tell them so.This might have to do with the fact that i simply take things as they come and don't care what people think about me in general.
    I even handed in a blank paper for a classtest once so...

The only pressure i'm really affected by is when i'm frustrated in myself so much that i get a blockade...but..well..i'm working on it.

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try to do everything on my own and then cry.

11. randomly me

randomly me Guest

yes.yes you are.

12. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

As long as I'm not being watched*, I'm pretty good at dealing with pressure especially if I have a set time limit. Then I just prioritise, work without really thinking and before I know it the job is done.

*I could still work while being watched but it just creeps the hell out of me so I'll be more prone to mistakes.

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although sometimes pressure helps me knuckle down and I go into autopilot. I work in radio, and I've had times when everything's gone wrong - cohost not shown up, music not worked, stuff like that. In that case, if I need things to be done right now, my mind instantly goes into problem-solving mode. So I guess if it's one thing I can focus on I'll do it well, but having a lot of responsibilities on me at once makes me crumble.

14. Bravesole

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I need to slow down if I feel under pressure some people love the feel of pressure make them work harder .that's not for me I get angry, agitated by that time I need time out think things through.

15. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Pressure makes me stressed but it's the only way I can be productive. If I have too many responsibilities at once I will break down though and I'd absolutely hate if someone kept watching me work.

16. HugasaurusRex

Depends on the pressure. If it is a 3000 word essay that has to be handed in the next day and I have not even started it yet, then I can easily handle it. But if someone is stood rushing me to do something, then no, I will slap you!

17. MetalRice

Depends on the pressure.

18. AKTodd

I just crank up my energy level, adjust priorities on the fly, and make it happen.

Todd

19. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I listen to music and do as much as I need to do as I can. Balance it all out with playing music/creative writing.

20. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't handle pressure very well. If you're looking over my shoulder while I am doing something for you i.e. stock intake, or whatever. I will most likely punch your face if you tell me to correct something