1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should the stigma be removed from the word "slut?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, May 15, 2015.

1. Driftr

I still find it weird that people refer to slut as synonymous to dirty or prostitute or adulterer. At least those are a few words that pop up to mind when I think of that word. It's like when a serial cheater is caught on a TV show and their partner calls them a "lying slut" or something. I feel like society is to blame for shaming anyone who has multiple sex partners and suggesting anyone like that is a compulsive freak or something.

And I hate how people assume that anyone with multiple sex partners had a traumatic past or comes from a neglectful household.

I, for one, don't have a problem with someone being a slut. As long as they wear protection for every single sexual encounter, they're not knowingly being a homewrecker or charging/paying for sex, they have consensual sex with other willing people and they're not having sex out in public and they make their intentions clear to every sexual partner beforehand.

Do you think the stigma revolving around the word "slut" should be removed? Do you think it's too late for society to change their perceptions of a "slut?"

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I've always preferred "I'm a God damn adult and I'll do what the fuck I want, thank you very much" to "slut". But, that's me.

<3

3. Spacesword

If they're careful, who is anyone to tell them what to do? As long as they wear protection and an adult its none of anyone's concern.

4. Driftr

Haahaa Yea true. :lol:

5. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Words change their meanings, and so do social perceptions of behaviours. One of the criticisms of 'slut' is that it is usually applied to women. If a (straight) woman has multiple sexual partners, she is a slut, a slag, and other terms which are perceived as being derogatory. If a (straight) man has multiple sexual partners, he is a bit of a lad. At least if he is in his 20s or 30s. If he is older, he is probably a pervy old man.

When the term slut is applied to gay men, it is usually with the assumption that gay man are more into casual sex with multiple partners than straight men. It may be intended as an insult, or it may be said out of envy (in the past, more than one straight friend has said to me that he wished it was as easy to have casual straight sex as it seems to be for gay men. That may reflect my experience of London in the 90s more than anything else, though).

So insult, or badge of pride? How you treat 'slut' is up to you.

6. nohalos

If I were to be called a slut, I'll sing "Grown Woman. 'Cause bitch, I'm grown!

To be honest, someone else's sex life ain't my business. They should be allowed to do what they want to do and I should be able to do the same. And also as long as they keep it shielded by the thingy majingy that comes with flavors.

Also, I feel like prostitutes can be victims too. I'm not saying all of them are, they have different reasons for doing that. But my ex's sister used to be one, and she did it for him. That took a lot of guts, and that was a heavy sacrifice to support her brother and herself.

7. LaEsmeralda

The concept of the word 'slut' is pretty annoying. People should be allowed to do whatever they like with their sex lives without that sort of judgement. I don't think there should be an 'acceptable' number of people that a person can sleep with.

I don't know where I read this (I think it might've been the BBC? :eek:slight_smile: but apparently the average number of sexual partners in a persons lifetime is 9 for men and 4 for women? If so, I am well and truly a 'slut' :lol:

8. biisme

My friends and I use the word "slut" and "whore" all the time about each other. I wouldn't call a random stranger that, because they wouldn't know that we do it in fun. None of us are ashamed of who we've slept with. Or how few or how many there've been. It has destigmatized the word in our group. I think if an outside person called me either of those I would burst out laughing.

9. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lifetime? You mean a week, surely....

10. tscott

Slut is such a vulgar word. I cannot think of any context that it would not be insulting, even in jest.

11. antibinary

It should but there is one thing you got wrong.

How many boys have been called a slut?

12. AlexTheGrey

The word does need to take a nice long vacation. An early retirement would be better.

When you use the word, what is it you mean with it? I've yet to find anyone who can really show me that it will get used in a positive manner. So far, it seems we' as a society have moved from "gendered slur" to "but, I was using it as an ungendered slur." And I'm not sure reclaiming it would be the right call.

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I hate the term slut because it only applies to women. If we could go around calling sexually active men sluts and shaming them for it too, it would be fair game.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Interestingly, I've heard men called sluts before. But they laugh or shrug it off.

Though, I suppose, that sums up the problem...

15. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

It cannot 'be removed'. It will automatically become useless when EVERYONE becomes a slut, and that is never. Some monogamous people will always see promiscuous people as lewd sex-addicts, while some promiscuous people will always see monogamous people as self-denying bigots.

16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are all sluts.

17. MetalRice

I hate the hypocritical notion that someone having multiple sex partners (especially women, since men who do that are generally lauded) is a bad thing, people are adults; as long as they are safe who cares?

18. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't give a damn about the word. I think the stigma should be removed from the *concept* of slut!

The damage it does to women is huge. I have been monogamous with a single partner for nearly 29 years, and was never promiscuous, and I *still* fucking suffer residual "slut-shame".

19. HugasaurusRex

Well I honestly do not care for the word. It is a word, any way, it would be rather hypocritical of me to say I hate the word when I had sex with most of the boys in my school back in the day!

20. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate that word! And this is slightly off topic, but it's accociated with clothing too. I wore slightly shorter shorts today, and my outfit was cute : 3 even the teachers at school said I looked cute and sassy and stuff~
    But the thing is, I was called "slutty" "skank" "you look like a whore" by lots of girls. The guys didn't notice nor care. I was just expressing my clothing style in hot weather...and it wasn't the least bit "slutty" just because my shorts were three inches higher than they should be...why do people associate nice clothing with that? It's sexist.
    Guys go shirtless. It's not slutty. They're not whores. I wear shorts, now I'm asking for sexual attention by wearing provocative clothing....
    And the thing is, I don't get any sexual attention from guys. They could care less. It's just, the girls are sort of demeaning other girls for being "sluts" while I'm just trying to dress in a cute way as more of an art or to boost confidence...
    The whole concept of slut is stupid. I personally think I would like to remain celibate until I get married, but why shame people with derogatory terms just because they choose to actively have sex? Why is it looked down upon?
    Why is clothing provocative? I don't get it. Slut shouldn't be a word...I hate all of the words like that slut, whore, skank, hoe. I personally find hoe hilarious though. A new way to degrade someone for their clothing or sex life: call them a gardening tool!~