1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Makes You a Hypocrite?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, May 15, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Maybe this isn't easy to answer, but it's definitely a humbling and reflective question to ask:

What makes YOU a hypocrite?

As a bonus, who is the worst hypocrite in your life? Or was, if you've removed them from your life.

Be as serious or as silly as you want, but the best answers are the ones that make you think while laughing.

2. CyanChachki

It would probably be telling others not to worry about the haters. I give out.. what I believe is very good advice because I know what to do and I know how to handle them but feeling their wrath is a completely different thing. There are times where it will sting so bad that you'll wanna cry but you've just gotta brush it off your shoulders as if it never really happened. It's all you can do, right?

The worst hypocrite in my life would be my mother. She'd tell me to do certain things and then do the exact opposite, which gets a bit annoying.

3. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My life is hypocritical. Engaged so passionately in taking a stance against my own sexuality and those of others not heteronormative.
    I guess for the bonus question: my previous self.

4. LaEsmeralda

I'm very concerned about environmental damage and take a lot of steps to minimise my individual impact. But I love driving and I love my little car so so much. Trying to balance out a compromise between the two - I take the bus/walk inside the city, only drive if I can't get public transport outside the city or if I have to carry a whole lot of stuff.

5. AlamoCity

I might smirk at someone who orders a supersize meal at a fast-food place and gets a diet coke, while eating a burger and large (regular) coke.

6. Joelouis

Me refusing to eat meat because I love animals while eating a salmon salad.

And me moaning about kids making a nuisance of themselves in the street remembering that I was just like them once.

7. tscott

Truth.

I'm too am an animal lover. I'm a card carrying member of the Audubon Society. I care about wet lands, invasive species, etc. Yet I'm perfectly fine with mute swans populating or area in the wild. They're an invasive species, not native to our area, and the state wants to "cull" the flock. Yes, they're aggressive and use space previously used by smaller waterfowl like teals. If we were destroying Asian carp or zebra mussels I'd have no problem. I'd lead the charge, but killing swans; never! Why? They're pretty, good parents, a joy to see on the inlets. A real environmentalist would have no problem with this.

I also eat lamb chops and quail. I wear a muskrat hat, because it's so damn cold here and it's so soft, which goes against my former principle only to wear fur that been raised, not trapped. I'm also a rat catcher and occasionally ride with a local hunt club, but in America we usually just drive the fox to ground rather than having it killed, but then they're not the varmint they are in the UK.

Then there's the whole issue of being a gentleman and being polite to people you can't tolerate instead of ripping them a new one. Or "never" having change to give to those who beg on the street. The list gets longer.

I think it's in man's nature to be hypocritical to some degree. I try not to be, but brutal honesty is not always the best way to handle thing. Sometimes the small deceit save feelings and friendships. Besides who am I to judge?

8. randomly me

randomly me Guest

A lot of things.I probably couldn't name them all.
    In general some things annoy me to no end if others do them but i fail to see how it annoys others when i do them.

9. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I'm a very sensitive person and very attuned to other people's feelings as well as my own BUT I can be callous as fuck...so then I give off the vibe of being an arsehole.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This is pretty awesome, because it's so candid.

11. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being a vegetarian but loving cheese and yogurt too much to give up dairy, which comes from the same farms as the meat.

12. SpangleDangle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    have to agree with one of the other posters, mine is telling people not to worry what others think. sometimes it ends up being ALL I think about, and in the next breath im telling people not to worry, suppose its distracting from your own probs if your helping someone out. Dunno, always feels good to try & help people I guess, doesn't make sense though ahaha.:confused:

13. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    People are bringing up vegetarian issues and I'm the same way.

I'm really into pro-environment causes and environmentalism in general. I care a lot about plants, animals, and preserving the environment and resources.

And yet I love meat and don't have any intention to stop eating it. Meat not only often comes from badly treated animals, meat production is a huge drain on resources, more than most agriculture. I do try and buy organic and cruelty-free when possible, otherwise I don't put much thought into it. I can accept an animal being killed for me to eat, but could I ever kill one myself and eat it? Nope. If I had to kill it myself, I'd be a vegetarian.

So in that regard, I am definitely hypocritical.

I don't know about a hypocrite in my life; if there is one, I must be pretty oblivious to it.

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tell others to be themselves and I'm always hiding my true self

15. Gen

Gen

I Am a Book Thief:

It is true. EC's aspiring author and resident Shakespeare has pirated novels.

Wait a minute!! Listen! Hear me out!!!

When you dedicate half of your life to studies and another quarter to volunteer work, there is little time left to make more money than necessary. Any reader knows that books are extremely expense. An avid reader could easily spend in the thousands each year. I always buy physical copies of books that I love; however, constantly taking $20 risks every time I wanted to try something knew just wasn't practical for an ebook that I could find with the click of a button

Despite this, none of you will ever be allowed to pirate my books. I will hunt every one of you bastards down!

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love ketchup...but I hate tomatoes.

Okay, okay. In all seriousness, probably my worst is failing to apply myself. I used to be a health nut that was all about fitness and improving my physical self (losing maybe 40 pounds in under a year). I spiraled out one point to being what I hated about gym teachers. I try to promote "healthy living" while eating cheese fries, and got on the back of others about how "fat free is better" while I'm on the couch watching cartoons all day with a bag of chips by me.

It's so hard to shake, since I've been wanting to get back into fitness, but I'm still the same old lazy ass I've always been.

#16 Daydreamer1, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Please write a book containing pirates, just so I can steal pirate it to be ironic. It would be my most prized possession, LOL.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

We should begin with one of the most obvious.

Sometimes, I don't initially respond to my own questions. LOL.

I tell people to suck it up when a situation is bleak and their feelings are RAWR-levels of negative, because it's one thing to be suffering -- but hard on yourself AND suffering? Yikes.

I don't always follow through with that, and can spend days irritated about something. Often times, it's the most minuscule offenses that sting deepest.

For example, smart phones are convenient, but also way too pricey. Individuals who spend money on upgrading simply for the I-GOT-IT! factor, disappoint me...

However...

I enjoy reading, and if that means comic book or a novel, so be it. I've been known to buy two copies of a book*, which could be considered wasteful to another. I just want to have a conditioned copy that will outlast my reading copy.

*Little fun fact and pep talk
    Why would you want 2 copies of 1 book?

If you want the short and sweet response, it's because it makes me feel better. Why? Well, I value knowledge. I think one of the greatest signs of respect is to exchange information.

The chance I ever have/adopt children, I want to leave behind some very important pieces of knowledge. Which is why...

I own 2 copies at least of the following 6 pieces:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
    The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.
    The Holy Bible, with the maps and index, get on my level, LOL.
    Government of the Ottoman Empire.
    Revolutionary Suicide, a.k.a. My Name is Huey P. Newton and this is why we're angry.
    The Earthsea trilogy.

These are the books I find myself coming back to, for various reasons, and after a while they start to experience wear and tear. I can't have that on my shelf, it looks tacky, and no guest of mine is going to put 'tacky' and I together, LOL.

But most importantly... these books have given me a perspective into a wider world. They have aided, challenged, shaped, or encouraged me in some way or form.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, for example, has demonstrated some of historical blemishes, but it humbles me. It shows the lengths humanity can go, and serves as a reminder and a filter to see the world. My interest in politics was solidified when I saw what one nation would endure, and my critical thinking sharpened when it comes to the pizzazz behind politicians. That mustachioed idiot did not get there alone, and seeing how a political machine operates allows you to understand the political parties today.

On a less serious note, the Earthsea series is how I tend to perceive magic and nature.

It is always beneficial to gain perspective from others, even in general. Everybody thinks and feels, but differently and in various degrees, which provides for some interesting comparisons. Even if you agree or not, there is value in this because it can enhance your own ability. For example, I enjoy writing, and another perspective is a way to influence, say, a character in a story. It'd be awfully boring if every single character in a movie was the exact same, if there was never any kind of comparative conflict expressed.

Good or bad, productive or stifled, you still learn or are reminded of something--

You don't like the way the world is? All that time you spend complaining, you could be planning or, even better, doing something. If you can't do anything, there's always the off chance somebody else may or know how, so find them and let them know, they matter.

Perhaps it is the optimist in me, buried deep behind the brooding and the hurting, that instills this belief into me:

You never know what can happen, if you are helpful to somebody else. Perhaps that lifts their mood, inspiring them to paint a picture, that is the picture that confirms they're meant to be a famous animator, they become that animator and illustrate your kid's favorite movie.

A bit extreme yes, but it's better than embracing helplessness. I could write a nov--

"Nooo~!

We get it! You can keep a bad situation bad, or make a bad situation even worse.
    Do what you can, and at least try to give yourself what you want, instead of sabotaging it.
    And kick ass in the name of good times!
    "

Exactly.​

I rightfully cannot say anything about optional spending, LOL.

There's an irksome attitude towards folks who whine, too, especially if they have no intention to ever resolve their situation. I know, I understand, Life can be rough and unfair, and it's fine to need a little bit to recuperate... but don't stay there:

Have some pride, and take some action.

But...

I can be a crybaby, sometimes.

Being hard on myself comes very easy. Nothing makes me want to scold myself than falling short, or allowing myself to cry.

While I no longer see any shame in crying, it's still annoying for me to do. Not because it's a terrible thing to do, but due to how it makes me feel -- totally powerless against something, and that can feed into my anger, and that skews my attitude.

When I want something, it isn't very often I don't obtain that. This makes it rather frustrating when an obstacle shows up, delays are experienced, or worse, somebody 'out plays' me.

I'm still working that kink out. But it gets me steamed like very little else can, and I'm more likely to bitch and complain until something appeases me. This can be time to cool off, reminding myself that only a fool denies they make mistakes, to get better you have to be willing to learn and not deny, or doing something productive to offset the negative. It's very hard, but I am a lot better than I was.

When I feel a crybaby bitch fit coming on, I'll try and deal with it through exercise, writing, jogging, or meditating. If I can do that, it isn't too much to believe others can handle themselves better.

Besides, I'm a dignified lady, damn it! LOL.

19. The Wallflower

I never ever follow my own advice. People always come to me for advice but when the time comes, I never do what I tell others to do. Idk. :/ It's one of the things I dislike about me.

The biggest hypocrite I know? My mom. I learned from the best...

20. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Im Bi but get really pissed off when I see things like gays specifically picking a bakery, or fertility clinic or any other establishment that is Christian run just to create an issue. Or when they want to boycott something like Chick-fil-lay because the corporation donated money to a political group that defended "family" rights.

Even though I don't agree with the practices of these places, its their right and I don't think its beneficial or brings a good view of the gay community to do this. and yes, I do think it is done on purpose.