1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Important is Alone Time to You?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, May 15, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

And no, you perverts, before you even make a masturbation reference, this isn't what I'm primarily referring to, LOL!

What I am referring to is, needing to be alone, by yourself, either to collect yourself or to embrace your solitary nature.

How important is this to you?

How important is it that others know and respect this?

2. White Knight

Between 1 and 10... 10.000.000

Oh if you yell loud enough people sooner or later learn that you don't want to be interrupted or disturbed.

3. CyanChachki

Very important. I warn people ahead of time now. It's not that I dislike people or don't want to be around them, I just can't be around crowds or visit people for hours and hours. I can go for about a solid 2 hour period before I need to just be alone for an hour or two by myself.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not very. When I'm alone my mind wanders off and I start thinking about things that I don't want to think about.. like an asteroid impact, or a zombie apocalypse.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Why not a zombie apocalypse with an impeding asteroid of doom approaching, at the same time? Nobody survives!

See, this is why you and I need to have our own sitcom. <3

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was actually thinking of zombie-infested asteroids, but your idea is pretty good too. :thumbsup:

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's important to me, but I don't need it often. It's no good having alone time at home as there is too much there to distract me. I need my alone time to be quiet time too.

8. kem

kem

I rarely need it. People time trumps alone time for me — I need the former, and endure the latter. I've learnt to be content by myself too, thanks to books and films and video games, but I still usually prefer hanging out.

I don't think I've ever refused an invitation to go out unless I'd made other plans.

9. Justinian20

I need to be alone sometimes but I don't mind not being alone, just being alone allows my creative juices to flow and I can recreate vast universes, including wars fought over entire star systems, Asteroid bombardment being used as a tactic in those wars, sometimes even supernatural creatures take advantage of these wars and rise against the beings that inhabit the planets. I can also write my songs and cry in my alone time, so it is pretty important in that respect.

10. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I need it. After even an 8 hour work day I need to just go be alone, just me, and music. If I don't have at least a 2 hour 'break' from people there are consequences.

Most people get that by now I think. Largely I'm left alone and when I'm ready to socialize I'll make an appearance.

11. Lyana

Extremely important. I need alone time. And it's actually been problematic in my relationships with other people. It's hard to get across the message that it's not that I don't want to hang out with you, it's that I want to be alone.

My friends tend to get it, and it doesn't stop us from doing anything together or seeing each other every day (though I do have one friend whom I keep trying to reassure that I actually want to see her, because sometimes I feel she doubts it). I love spending time with them, I suggest outings and activities -- I just can't spend every waking moment with other people. My alone time is non-negotiable.

It was a problem with my first two boyfriends. The first one I left because he wanted us to spend too much time together, the second one left me because I wanted to be alone too much. We work better as friends, when (it seems to me) they are less needy. I've gotten better at identifying early on whether "alone time" is going to be a problem.

12. biisme

Super important!

I recently went on a trip to DC with my parents and brother. We had to all share a room, and every day we were going to museums. By the second day I was so twitchy and tired of being constantly around people. People pressed against you in the museum. Family RIGHT THERE in the hotel room all the time. Rinse and repeat. I'm pretty sure I started to act a little crazy toward the end. If we had to get to the opposite corner of an intersection, I would go the opposite way of my family just to have like 30 seconds to breathe.

And I have definitely used cramps as an excuse to get out of going out with friends in college. Sometimes I just want to sit in my room and binge watch way too much Netflix!

13. C P

C P

As a loner-type person/introvert/*insert words that mean requires alone time*, extremely important. People drain the HELL out of me and I tend to need a good amount of time to myself. Outside of work and occasionally being with friends, since I live with family for the time being, I'm always taking long walks by myself(sometimes several hours, occasionally most of the evening/morning/whenever time allows, since that is the only way I'll get it).

I'm always doing my own thing.

People have given me crap about it in the past but, like CJ, by now most people just leave me to it because I'll be around to socialize when I'm ready otherwise.

14. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I'm sharing a room with two people practically since i was born so...

still i need my alone time which i normally get through going out running etc.

15. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's really important to me, and I need it often. I get irritated and pissed when I'm around people for too long.

16. tscott

Very...I was an only child...I like my alone time with this caveat...I like during the day...I don't really like it at night...I enjoy having family time, but since the divorce I've that only every other weekend.

17. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Very important. It's as important as breathing sometimes and thankfully, my family knows this and respects it.

Sometimes I just have to close the door and think because too many people = not enough room for me to think and breathe, at least emotionally y'know? I haven't had a problem so far and my family always warns newcomers that I like my space because usually I'll just up and leave the room, and a lot of people think, 'oh...did I do something to offend them?'
    I usually apologise later when I'm feeling sociable and explain it to them and after that, they understand. :slight_smile:

18. Bravesole

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do need my own space sometimes and people understand that .

19. AlexTheGrey

Important. For me, it is the time to decompress. But I will say, it is totally possible to have too much of a good thing, too.

20. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Incredibly. I'm a chronically ill introvert. Physical, mental and emotional recharge time is 100% vital to my wellbeing.