1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused About Urination and Genitalia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lily1988, May 15, 2015.

1. lily1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Why do people say having a penis (whatever it is defined as) makes it easier to piss standng? In a cis female the lips can be pulled apart and it works the same way.

I'm confused at the idea that any and every penis would make it easy. (Such as "I'm so glad I have a penis so I can pee outside!") What about if it is short and can't be put far out of your pants, or. Of not at all? What if it is also further down low between the legs and not as far up in front as some are? What if foreskin makes it messy? What if the shape of the pee hole makes it spray? What if the penis is a small round knob rather than a long thin hose and not very flexible? Also, even among long hose shaped flexible ones, does that really make it EASIER? I think it presents more opportunities for mistakes and can be pointed in one's face accidentally.

Also, not all female bodies genitals are small either. Some do protrude. In this case he protrusion that would help expose the urethra would not be the lips and clit but the area behind that, what I call the pubic shelf. The urethra is behind the lips and clit. They can just be pulled apart and up and it works for most women. If it sticks out, the pubic shelf, it makes it easier to expose. But any part can be exposed with the right size hole in the clothes even a small penis or small pubic shelf (whereas a long penis or female pubic shelf would be easier to expose in more clothing). But naked, it should be easy for most female bodied people (but not all) and harder for some male bodied people (for the reasons discussed above).

My general point is that if there is any difference in ease it is not between male bodied and female bodied people (not even the ability to expose the part since there are large female pubic shelves and small penises), but that it is based on other factors between individuals.

Hell, some female bodied people can simply open their legs and it comes forward. Some don't even need to do that. The urethra is just in front more on some people. Some can pull up on their abdomen and it goes forward. Some tug their clit up out of the way and it pulls the hole up. Some need to pull the lips apart a lot like some men need to pull foreskin back a lot.

"All males can" is a lie. "All females can't" is a lie.

Why am I interested in the topic? Because it's been used to lie to women (females assigned at birth) about their bodies and because it is unfair to male bodied people who can't do it for society to push them to do it. Make a mess of themselves all so they can not get beat up.

Also because "you need a penis to do it" is phallocentric. The cis female method is not harder because there is no phallus (though sometimes there is, because of larger pubic shelves), because pulling something apart is no harder then pointing something. Just different. The idea a person needs a penis or a penis like thing to do it. And not every penis is a phallus. Some penises are small and more like knobs than long sticklike phalluses.

Phallocentrism hurts both females who don't have phalluses and males who don't have them. It also hurts females who do have them because it implies that what the female SHOULD have been born as would not have been a good thing, that she is good despite her femaleness and not because of it. It leads to people whose penises are not phalluses feeling inferior and competitive with people whose penises are.

We need to prize the female and (typical/ideal) female sized genitals and not only the phallus. There must be balance. We need to promote the positive traits particular to female-like genitals, in urination and otherwise. (This applies to small penises too). Your urethra is in the same place every time.

You only need to pull apart and not aim anything (for small penises with foreskin as well). You don't need to expose as much of your body you just pull the fly in the pants around it while pulling apart, all one motion. You don't get leakage at the end. You have less to get kicked in. Your genitals don't show through your pants. You get better water pressure than a longer genital would. Etc.

2. AlamoCity

A lot to digest.

A penis can be very useful if I go to a bathroom that's really nasty and want to pee a bit farther away from the toilet :lol:. Also, I guarantee you that most people with a penis entertain themselves aiming the stream at different things in the toilet or urinal (the "urinal cake," specks of dirt, insects that landed on the toilet, etc.).

However, I can see how society's views of the penis can be detrimental to the mental health and self-worth of people. But, also think about this: if we reduce your "phallocentrism," transmen only want a penis because society tells them it's needed to be a "man;" a penis isn't biologically necessary for transmen, but many would want a real penis (if money/surgical results were favorable). Are you saying they only want a penis to fit in and don't need it and should celebrate their female genitals because they could pee standing up?

3. lily1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Then you didn't read what I wrote.

You don't need a penis to pee far away. Opening up the lips does that in cis women.
    And I don't understand your claim that a penis is useful for doing that. It's not like just having a penis automatically makes it easy or possible because not every penis is the same.

Would having a short penis you couldn't pop far out your pants be useful? A penis with lots of foreskin that made it messy and pissed on your self? A penis where the shape of the pee hole made it spray?

You didn't read this.

---------- Post added 15th May 2015 at 07:47 AM ----------

Maybe YOUR penis makes it easy but not all penises would find it easy.

And women can pull back the lips like I very clearly said. And since many women's genitals protrude as well, and not all are small, exposing the area is not an issue. (Not that things really need to stick out to be exposed- both small penises and small female areas can have the pants fly pulled around them.

---------- Post added 15th May 2015 at 07:50 AM ----------

And no you cannot guarantee what most people of any body type do unless you take an actual survey. Also many males cannot aim because there's not much to "aim" with and it's an inflexible little knob. Those Penises exist too.

And cis women can aim by turning their bodies which is even easier, and some by pulling the lips differently, or, if the pubic shelf the urethra is on is longer or protrudes they can turn that different directions.

---------- Post added 15th May 2015 at 07:55 AM ----------

Ah I see. You said a penis CAN be useful. Yes, but a vulva can achieve the exact same results by pulling apart with fingers. Just as easy. And many uncirced men have to pull back foreskin AND point something (provided it's big and long and flexible, and not a small little knob)

But yes it's a subject I get touchy about because I've been made to feel inferior about it, so I learned to do it and not feel so inferior. It was easy. And not easy for many men.

I think people don't need a penis to be a man or male, never mind a big penis. Hell, some people who were males assigned at birth don't feel like men because their penises are not "big enough". It's sad.

Thank you for commenting. It's an issue I'm really confused on. The idea that having a penis automatically makes it easy and having a vulva automatically makes it hard.

---------- Post added 15th May 2015 at 07:56 AM ----------

I don't want to come across as rude. I just get very touchy about this issue and when people ignore the fact that women can easily do it too and that a penis doesn't automatically make it easy.

---------- Post added 15th May 2015 at 08:00 AM ----------

But yes I'm partially saying that. I'm saying that many women (not just ones who want to trans to men but women who are consistently women) feel inferior over their perceived "inability" which makes them want a penis because they believe that without a penis you can't do it and that with a penis you automatically can and it's easy. Some penises can't at all

#3 lily1988, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  4. AlamoCity

Actually, there are many studies that deal with research on transition. Here is a study conducted by a British non-profit (it's a lengthy PDF download) www.gires.org.uk/assets/Medpro-Assets/trans_mh_study.pdf

On page 24 under "physical intervention," it lists a survey of many procedures that FTM folks were asked about and one was "metaoidioplasty." Of the 372 sampled, 1% had had it, 14% would like to have it, and 38% were considering it, whereas 35% didn't want that procedure. Also, the survey found that "Of those who had undergone genital surgery 90% were more satisfied with their bodies than before, and only 3.7% were less satisfied (N=136)." Also, "for those who had undergone genital surgery, 83% were more satisfied with their lives, and only 3.8% were less so (N=131)."

Also, I'd wager the results would be much more conclusive if the survey asked "if you could transition (FTM) genitally with satisfactory results, would you consider genital surgery?"

-----------------

I'm sorry that "phallocentricity" has caused you so much grief, but would also like to perhaps tell you that such traits in society are more of a symptom of a disease than a disease itself; "phallocentricity" is like a "fever" and the "disease" is living in a male-dominated society where masculinity is prized, coveted, and fetishized; sure, you can attack a fever with antipyretics, but it's oftentimes better to understand and treat what is causing the fever.

#4 AlamoCity, May 15, 2015
  5. lily1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the link. I was talking more about urination among cis folks and the false idea that a penis or penis like vulva makes it easier. It doesn't, nor does a vulva make it hard.

My main thing I'm trying to dispute is that it's easier for cis males than for cis females. I don't believe this. Nor is it easier to expose the cis male genitals because not all penises are long and not all female pubic areas are short.

That if there are differences in ease, it's due to other factors between individual, not cis males and females.

Yes phallocentricity is caused by male supremacy and it causes harm to men too.

6. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    I cant speak for all men, but I find it useful when I have to pee and my penis is just poking out the bottom of my pants leg next to my shoe. Nobody even notices in the crowd as I find that relief I so desperately am in need of.
    not to brag mind you.

7. lily1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Next to your shoe? Huh?

8. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure women can't pee standing :lol: I mean wouldn't the urine just go straight down? We can aim, women can't.

9. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    why do you find it hard to believe that I wear shoes.

10. lily1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Nustin F you did not read the post.

It's not that simple. Some men can't aim it, if it's too small and not flexible and if he can't pull it out of his pants because of its size. Also most women can aim it forward they just pull the lips up and apart. And not all women are small, some have pubic areas that protrude more so they can pull that up. But even without that it's def possible for most women and hard for some men.

Also, foreskin can cause it to be messy even if the penis is big enough to protrude. And sometimes the pee hole makes it messy.

To say all men can and all women can't is extreme blanket statement and silly.

Besides why does going straight down make it bad? If you stand over toilet it's easier because it only goes one direction and can't be messed up) but like I said a woman can pull lips apart and make it go forward. And some women's urethras are more forward to begin with and not straight down.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm just waiting for somebody to get pissed off about this topic.

12. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    better to be pissed of than to be pissed on

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Best pee-lieve it.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Allegedly, some restrooms years back even made a point of this with signs:

"In case of nuclear attack, hide under the urinal--no one ever hits it."

15. lily1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    People don't seem to be reading or answering the question.

The summary is that having a penis doesn't necessarily make it easier because it depends on the penis (size, flexibility, foreskin, etc) and that being a woman doesn't make it hard (lips can be pulled up and apart, some female pubic areas protrude, some female urethras are more forward than down).

---------- Post added 15th May 2015 at 09:58 AM ----------

Yes BMc this is true not just because they don't hold it right but because of the nature of some penises. Some have a pee hole that makes a mess, some penises aren't long and flexible enough to point in many directions (though this can also make it easier not to aim all over the place), some have foreskin, etc.

And like I said, women can usually stand on front of the toilet and do it forward too. They pull the lips apart and it sends it forward. Some don't even need to do that. And some women's areas protrude somewhat so it can be even easier to expose through the pants, although it can be done without protruding, it's just more "dangerous" like it is with males with short penises.

#15 lily1988, May 15, 2015
  16. AlexTheGrey

Honestly, I'm still not entirely following what you are asking for. Yes, it is a stereotype. But where are you proposing we go from here? Is it enough to tear down the stereotype, or are you asking for more? I just don't know, so I don't know how to respond.

If you want the question of why people think it is easier for males to pee standing up answered, it is a cultural thing. It assumes you are talking about accessibility to things like urinals, and western style toilets. But in general, it is the idea that there are fewer obstacles involved. Especially in U.S. culture where circumcision is still the norm (why?), urinals are built with the variation of the penis in mind (it is a broad side of a barn), and male underwear is designed to enable quick access. You don't even really need to go down the road of biology to make your point, really. Socialization is an amazing, and rather scary, thing.

17. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    the premise is flawed.
    generally speaking, it is easier for the male to pee with accuracy while standing.
    sorry, thats just the way it is. You mention things like a small penis, Ive never seen one so small that it could not make it past the material of the pants. you mention the foreskin, but then you say the women can pull back their lips, cant the men pull back the foreskin? and get past that problem?
    Overall, your arguments just dont work. Some things in nature just are as they are.
    Im not saying women cant pee standing up, I am saying that they are not equipped to compete with males for accuracy when doing so.

18. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw a movie where women peed standing. In the scene, they were drunk, accidentally entered the mens room, saw the full length urinal, decided to give it a shot. :eusa_danc

19. LaEsmeralda

You can get this thing called the 'she-wee' - it's a device styled like a funnel that allows girls to pee standing up :slight_smile:

I was supposed to get one when I went travelling but forgot. Crouching down for a pee isn't too bad if you have enough coverage and you're certain that you aren't visible from surrounding houses/CCTV cameras. But you do need the pressure to get a decent stream. Nothing worse than the pee splitting and running down your leg into your shoe.

:slight_smile:

20. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not that bad if its cold out, can help keep your feet warm