1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video game company bans player for posting in defense of LGBT players who are bullied

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PeaceWave, May 15, 2015.

1. PeaceWave

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    In case you ever wondered how the LGBT community and the issue of online bullying is treated in the video gaming industry, look no further than the following link. The position of giant Russian video game maker Wargaming.net is that any reference to the LGBT community is "political" and should immediately be removed, and that any person posting in defense of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and/or transgenders is "creating controversy" and should immediately be banned. Sadder still is that this company extends their message of ignorance to tens of millions of people outside of Russia through their partnership with Microsoft to deliver games via the XBox 360 and XBox One video game platforms.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/21aikv9.jpg

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Video game company bans player for posting in defense of LGBT players who are bul

It's russia...

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Video game company bans player for posting in defense of LGBT players who are bul

thats russia.

4. PeaceWave

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Actually, it's America when the game is delivered via our friends in Redmond, Washington.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

is russia da

6. Simple Thoughts

^

pretty much that.

---------- Post added 16th May 2015 at 12:56 AM ----------

I love this idea people have that these giant companies know everything about every single company they partner with. Microsoft is probably partnered up with thousands of other companies big and small who produce tens of thousands ( maybe more ) games, apps, and w/e else.

They can't monitor each and everything that comes their way. It's just a bit absurd to suggest really.

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well, yeah, ok. One could argue that before partnering with a Russian company *at all* they might have considered the relevance to the LGBT community, but I'd agree that maybe that's asking a bit much.

But when they do catch wind of it through a story like this, their decision to stay partnered or drop the partnership is a valid question. I would bet that if enough of the LGBT community expresses outrage, Microsoft isn't getting enough from that partnership that they'd be willing to sacrifice a large portion of market pissing us off. Whether we will express that outrage is another question yet again.

8. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

It doesn't surprise me, given that it's Russia. But still, as someone going into the gaming industry, this sickens me.

9. Simple Thoughts

^

Power of the free market. Vote with your wallets. Don't like something? Don't buy it. Really Really don't like something? Contact their partners and sponsors and make some noise. Companies like Microsoft are gonna go where the money is, and where the backlash isn't.

10. MetalRice

Horrible, but the norm in Russia these days.

11. I'm_Danni_x

I'm definitely not surprised, that's the usual junk that comes from Russia.

12. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

It's Russian, so their behaviour makes sense.

13. PeaceWave

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

So, are you saying that because it's a Russian company, Wargaming.net exerts influence over its U.S. offices (including Chicago, Baltimore and San Francisco) and requires them to crack down on the LGBT community similar to how is done in Russia? How is that even legal?

14. PeaceWave

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Just an update on how this is being addressed on the Microsoft forum. It's bizarre how a forum administrator can dance around an issue when clearly trying to justify a discriminatory practice.

Xbox.com Forums

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I'm just going to recap outloud because I'm unsure of what happened, so I'm going to process it. A straight person comes in here to voice some support and lament the fact that LGBT gamers are being treated like trash. And the responses are "it's Russia" and "it's a big corporation, and big corporations have no idea what they are doing."

I for one am glad you care, PeaceWave! I wish I knew what to do about the situation. The only efforts I know of to address bullying of LGBT gamers within the gaming community have come from the LGBT community itself (thinking Fraggot) and "professionalism" communities (I don't mean professional, like pro, but professionalism, as in a standard of behavior) like Thinking Man. As you know, we can only build positive communities when allies on the outside are able to say the necessary things that need to be said without fear of official reprecussions from any particular gaming company. So whatever Microsoft can do to make it clear that certain standards are expected to be met by its partners is I believe, quite apt.