1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you the opposite of your sibling(s)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, May 15, 2015.

1. Other than gender and sexual orientation (if they apply), how about personality. Oftentimes, I see personality opposites when it comes to a set of siblings and the difference is highlighted when it's just two people.

I have this awesome friend named Derek and he's such an outgoing person. He opens up very easily and is always willing to talk, which is how I got so close to him. He's in university right now and I have classes with his younger brother and he has such a different personality. He has a very reserved personality and is more shy; he doesn't exactly open up that easily. Complete opposites, right?

I think I see it within me and my sister as well. She constantly loves going out and having fun while shopping and such, also she loves company. Meanwhile, she's completely perplexed about how I hate going out and keeping her company, even though she says (more like claims) she'll take me out to eat at my favorite Korean restaurant.

Maybe I'm wrong since those are a few examples I could provide, but do you guys feel the same?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In ways we are similar, and in ways we're dead opposites :lol: We're both reserved-ish, homebodies, and the only interests we have in common are pokemon, Zelda and the like.

He's more of a trend follower, seems to have an easier time fitting, and is more of a pessimist than me, among other things.

3. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    YES! Exact opposite! He's very sporty and outgoing and he knows EVERYONE in our area and EVERYONE loves him. While I am nerdy, home most of the time, doesnt know anyone, and everyone doesnt like me around. I guess the only common thing we had is our love for video games. We play DotA and shooting games together.

4. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yes! people always say me and my sister are like night and day. she's tan,has dark hair, is outgoing, talkative, and very conservative. I'm very pale, have light hair, very quiet, not talkative, and very liberal. It's funny because we almost never fight even though we disagree on almost everything.

5. Thedistra

I find it amusing that the sister I grew up with is completely different from me, but my half brothers have quite a few similarities with me. My half sister and full sister are a lot alike as well.

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My brother and I have a lot in common other than orientation. The only difference is he likes video games, and I don't. Otherwise, we are both libertarians, but he is more liberal than me. He loves to follow current events, we both dislike our parents and usually for the same reasons-their uber conservativeness and odd behaviors. He's quiet like me. We are both balding(slowly), have anxiety, and have only a few close friends. We like to talk and discuss philosophy and almost always get along. He is very affirming. He usually remembers stuff from the past that I don't and vice versa. If one person doesn't remember something, the other fills in the details.

7. Burnedcloset

People say I am the "boy version of my sister".

We act very similar. I always like to be the leader and make all the plans. I enjoy it when things go how I plan. I can see what they see. I don't think its a bad thing though.

We have different taste in men though. Her favorite man is chris hemsworth and he is just too masculine for me.

8. StingraySam

Out Status:
    All but family
    My brother and I are polar opposits in every way! he is a cis man, a-sexual/homoromantic, shy, sassy, doesn't like animals that much, and a health nut.
    I'm a DFAB genderqueer person who is only emotionally attracted to other trans* identifying people, polysexual, outgoing, blunt (but not (too) sassy), I LOVE animals, and I love chocolate to much to be a health nut.
    Yet, we are both furries, both artists (me with makeup, him with video), both queer (parents are not happy), neither of us like coffee, and we have similar music taste. I guess it just depends on what you are looking at with siblings. :thumbsup:

9. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In ways, yes. My sister is very much extroverted, where I am more introverted. She does very well in schooling environments where I do poorly. She's shit at videogames where I am decent. We share the same sense of humour, but she's definitely better at joke delivery than I am. I'm a big nature nut where as she loves the great indoors. I tend to take more risks, and act a reckless fool, and she plays things safe and sensibly.

We're both Tauruses, so that's cool, I guess.

10. guitar

In many ways, my bro & I have a similar outlook and personality. But we're quite different. He's an engineer, builder. I'm a people-oriented musician.

11. Magnemma

Magnemma Guest

My brother is my complete opposite both personality wise and looks wise. He is impulsive and doesn't think things through, he's un responsible, and aggressive, he is a good singer and is really good at violin and any other instruments he tries, he's super good at math. I am not any of those things. Also he has green eyes and freckles, and i have brown eyes and no freckles. but we are both really tall. He's a cat person, i like dogs... but neither of us ever want to do the dishes...

12. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My sister and I are usually opposites in complementary ways. So for example, she's an actor, I used to love filming and tech. Or she's one of those extemely visible art types (really fashionable, etc.) whereas I'm just as artistic but don't show it much.

Pretty much the only truly opposite thing I can think of is that her emotional range and accessibility is far greater than mine. She can't compartmentalize or turn off her emotions very well, but I struggle more to turn them on.

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, my sister and I are extremely similar. In fact, we're only 1.5 years apart in age so we feel somewhat like twins at times.

14. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, we're quite similar. We're both loud, brash, outgoing individuals who get angry quickly and have a liking for white wine and vodka shots. She's 9 years older than me though.

#14 imnotreallysure, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  15. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

My brother and I are very similar in a lot of ways. Basically same sense of humor and taste in music and general life outlook. But I'm significantly more passive and forgiving of bullshit than he is. He also has much better situational awareness and attention to detail than I do; he's much better at judging people's character. And I'm more lazy than he is. I do have a somewhat better ear for melody and composition than he does; but he has better rhythmic sense and can keep time more consistently without a metronome or other players present. I think we complement each other pretty well in that regard.

16. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    My siblings are both very smart and academic-oriented, so I'm similar to them in that way. That said, my older brother is into sports and cars and is a much more normal "guy" in that regard. He's also straight. I am definitely more effeminate than he is, that's for sure. Likewise, my older sister can be a nerd on one hand and we have that in common, but she's also a social butterfly and very popular, which is something I can't even fathom lol. At least we're both into guys.

So I have a lot in common with them, but there's a lot I don't. Either way, they're both very protective of me and I appreciate it :grin:

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say me and my sister are similar obviously she is a girl and I'm a boy she has kids I think they are a wast of time. Apart from that we are a lot alike

18. nohalos

In some ways we're opposite, in some we're the same.

My sister is very extroverted. She makes friends very easily and she gets comfortable in a new circle of people quickly. Also, she's very outspoken. She says what she has in mind, and the girl doesn't have boundaries.

I, on the other hand, am very introverted. It takes me weeks, even months, or YEARS to properly warm up to a person. I am a very shy boy, and I'm very... collected. I'm always afraid to speak my mind. I think before I speak, and I think that really gets in the way even in the smallest of all talks.

We do have similar personalities. Like, crazy, energetic humor. We can get very animated when we tell a story and it gets to the point that we're sweaty! She's like a grape, ready to eat whilst I'm a bit of a coconut; a lot of layers to go through but the goodies are all inside. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

We also both love to sing, but obviously, I'm the better singer. Also better dancer, performer.....

(We read each other a lot though. Like:

Sister: Ohmigod, babe (Yes, she calls me "babe"), you look fat today.
    Me: Yeah, but at least I don't look like a fish.)

19. Sevan

I have two brothers. My older one is a lot more reserved than I am, preferring to keep a cold front. He's heavy on the sarcasm, but is a nice guy, you know? I'm more introverted than extroverted, but he's a lot more reserved than I am. By younger brother, however, is extremely extroverted, energetic, playful and loves to talk. I guess it went in order, from most reserved to least with me in the middle, lol

20. MetalRice

Very different, I tend to be calculating, think things through, weigh risks and reward and I can be a bit of a loner too; while my older brother and sister are nothing like that.