1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell about the time you publicly stuck up for LBGT causes/people.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by brainwashed, May 16, 2015.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lets hear your story, when did you publicly stick up for LGBT causes/people?

My story:
    I was at the pub last night (15 May), talking to a chap about high school - I call this beer talk. He said, ~"ya I was just like any other high school boy, I lusted for girls and cars". (the ~ means approximate quote)

I replied, without thinking (I've never done this before), "ya unless you're gay then you lust for cute guys." Catching myself I went on to say, "lets be socially correct.....it's 2015." (WTF - damn beer)

2. Lyana

If I hear something LGBT related that irritates me (stereotypes, discrimination, derogatory terms), I'm likely to speak up. That, and gender/feminist stuff, comes up pretty regularly.

I'm not that likely to bring the topic up unprovoked, but this year I did two different speeches before two different classes on the subject of trans people (we could choose any topic, and I thought it would be both personal and educational, as well as easy to talk about because I had so much to say). It was actually a really cool experience both times, the other students were interested and respectful and I felt like I had done something useful.

So yeah, I get the cool feeling you get after that. :grin: Relax and do it again!

3. Simple Thoughts

I haven't had much of an opportunity to do so myself. I stay at home a lot and do go out all too much. I'm pretty much a hermit.

At work sometimes they get pretty homophobic, but I can't really do anything about it there because I can't afford to not have a job. *sighs*

4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bonjaur

Thanks for the reply and reflection. I liked what you wrote and quoted it above. It was a positive experience.

Thanks for using English. My French sucks big time. I love listening to people speak French, it's such a beautiful language.

Salut

5. SpangleDangle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey. one time I do specifically remember was at school quite a few years back. Id been seeing this guy for like 4 months at same school so we were comfortable kissing in front of people etc.
    One time I overheard a couple people at my school talking about how they'd like to " dare" a gay couple to kiss in front of like 40 people to humiliate them ( my school was kinda still dragging its knuckles on the floor with regards to acceptance and sexuality, sadly still very common even these days).
    So me and this guy took the dare, and kissed heavily in front of at least 30-40 peeps...went down better tha expected, bit of applause, felt very proud lol.
    needless to say didn't get picked on ever again for being "unnatural" hehe. Best form of defence is a good attack :wink:

6. biisme

Back when Prop 8 was happening and there were protests all over the country, I went to the one in Boston with a group of people.

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Loved the part from your comment the best. (see above)

Thanks for the comment and challenging the status quo.

8. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    couple years ago before I quit drinking I was in the bar with my regular bar buddies.
    there was this guy that came in that was obviously gay, no question. He was with a couple of girls. He was really cute, thin, longer hair,, ( Need to go take a cold shower now )
    the guys I was with had no clue I was Bi, and to be honest, I dont think they wanted to know.
    anyway, they started in with the gay jokes and taunting, so after a few minutes I got up without saying a word, walked over to him, hugged him, gave him a kiss and bought him a beer, then turned around and yelled to my "friends" look, I kissed a homo and I didnt die. Then, as a bonus, the girls with the guy both turned and hugged me and gave me a kiss and thanked me.
    The friends stopped bugging him, and they never said a word to me about it.
    I really should have tried to pick him up but the crowd was between him and the door so it might not have been the safest thing to do. Self preservation must always come first.

9. L0ser

Well my Math class was pretty chaotic one day about a month ago, we had a substitute, and everyone in the class was talking about random things.

Then someone brought up the topic of marriage equality, and a few people "joked" about it. They made it abundantly clear that they were uncomfortable with it, and soon the conversation grew into an argument about various LGBT+ topics.

This one guy said same sex couples should not be able to get married. I'm usually a quiet guy, but I couldn't help but speak up on this. Soon we were arguing, he was saying it still wasn't right, but most of classmates were agreeing with me about how marriage equality isn't an issue(Or at least it shouldn't be.)

Then, the substitute broke up the argument, and said "No need to get so angry about this."

And my classmate said, "Yeah, well I think marriage should be one man, and one woman."

The teacher said, "Well, most people really uncomfortable with homosexuality are probably in the closet."

He didn't say another word about LGBT+ topics. At least for that day.

10. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    and most people that are verbally against religion are most likely right wing religious fanatics.

11. norcal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Im very similar here, but theres this one kid in my math class who once was talking about gun laws and how he thinks that guns should be only allowed to be used to kill gay people. SO, you can imagine, I said something and he responds about how he has a disability and he blurts out things without thinking, but oooh, I was super pissed. That really was not cool, especially because I live near San Francisco, and nearly EVERYONE here is supportive.

---------- Post added 17th May 2015 at 12:58 PM ----------

Sub entered beast mode here! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I literally lol'ed just now, pretty great!

12. essie

Every time we debate during a RE class or my father and friends say something I do not agree with about LGBTQ folks. It's pretty obvious that I support the communiy, but they haven't figured out that I actually belong to it.

13. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread is making me feel terrible about all the bystanding I do to lgbt bashing.

Its not that I don't support our community (obviously) however I find it very difficult to get in people's face about things they feel strongly about, especially pertaining to human rights. Im sorry :frowning2:

14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really recall any time I did this. When you live in a small town like mine it is more of minding your business and you will be left alone. There is homophobia but if you get to people and hear things you know who to avoid and who you can be comfortable talking too so I really never had that experience. In High School I saw it daily and wish I could of said something but looking back it it would of backfired anyway and the teachers let it run rapt anyway. Some people who are very outspoken and hateful in their views are not worth the time and energy to argue with because they have the personality where their opinion is the right one. But as I get older I think there are times when standing up and calling someone out on a hateful view is a good thing.

15. Im Hazel

Well, this was funny at the time. I tried telling it before, and it sounded really lame. Oh, and it's worth noting that everyone at my school still goes by the assumption that I am male.
    Well, there was this guy who walked up to me and my group of friends and stood on a wall with this other random guy. He started talking about how he hates all gay people. Big mistake, because there was me, an asexual friend and two people who are probably bisexual. I shout to this guy, "Huh? There's nothing wrong with a man loving another man, honey." (Queue winking and finger pistols from me.) My friends started throwing stones at him, and I told them to stop. "If you hurt my boyfriend over there, you'll have me to answer to!" And that made him run away faster than a stone ever could.
    Well, that wasn't that funny. But I guess my sleepy, dysphoria addled brain isn't in the best place to be telling this.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

To copy and paste:

17. El Extranjero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Right now in my country, we are getting ready for an upcoming referendum on same sex marriage. This means that campaigners from both sides of the argument are going from door to door urging people to vote either for or against. It's a pretty interesting experience having people actually come to your door on a fairly regular basis telling you how your way of life is sinful, wrong and deserving of fewer rights. The one good thing though is that it's made me a little more outspoken about my beliefs, and allows me to confront and challenge homophobes on an almost daily basis.

18. wolf of fire

One of my dad's friends is homophobic and on two occasions we have clashed: first time him: "it's bloody unnatural" me: "so is the house, motorbikes, Wi-Fi, tea and sofa but no one complains about them". The second time (he was whining about Conisa Wurst (yes I spelt that wrong but you know the one with the beard off Eurovision)) me: yes because that's what singing is about, if you have facial hair or not.

19. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

You don't have to be sorry for anything. It is not your job to defend anyone or get involved with disgusting people who aren't worth the effort. I'm assuming you, like me, aren't the confrontational type in nature and there's nothing bad or weak about that. Unless someone is physically being attacked I wouldn't bother getting involved myself, you'll just get in a big fight with some idiot who's probably full of rage and nothing productive will happen. If you wanna fight Homophobia without getting in pointless conflicts remember if you see someone getting bullied you can always approach them one on one afterwards, give them support and try to make them feel better ^_^

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

He's only non-confrontational when he doesn't have the costume on. Put the mask and cape on, it's a totally different story.

Good job sticking to the alter-ego role, Batman!

:thumbsup: