1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physical awkwardness

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, May 17, 2015.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hi guys :slight_smile:

I have created a thread last time mentioning that I have social anxiety.

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/159406-have-social-anxiety.html

I would like to discuss about something. Its that I have a physical symptom whereby I will get tensed when I see people walking in front of me (or pass by me) and I would start walking in a funny manner (awkwardly) and also hunch my back. This attracts others attention and they will end up giggling at me. (I have seen them giggle at me with my own eyes.) And I end up being upset and depressed for being an awkward idiot.

Have you experienced similar physical awkwardness in public?
    Can such symptoms be overcome? :frowning2:

I feel concerned that other people would think I'm crazy or a freak with such awkward posture. :frowning2:

#1 potofsoup, May 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
  2. thesharkamander

I do the same; I also rock in my seat or move my head around a lot and when I'm stressed out I get twitches and convulsions and it makes my mom upset because I need to "sit still" (never mind that most of this is subconscious or involuntary).

3. salus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, and this is extremely annoying.

It doesn't happen with all people equally for me. It manifests most intensely around those who mean something to me (be it in a good or a bad way).

Normal rhythm of moving the arms when walking somehow fails, I start darting my eyes and/or head around like a caught animal.

And it's ridiculous when I'm in a group of people and somebody is taking a photo. Then I can't look at the camera, if I try to smile my face makes movements that shouldn't be possible and then I pray to whatever is out there to destroy the photos before they are seen by anyone.

I wish I knew how to overcome this. Being relaxed and composed is most important when around others yet it's at this time that I am most stressed.

4. ms24601

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When I get tense I don't know where to put my hands and I look rather weird. Also, when I was younger I was even more shy than I am now and I would easily blush, and whenever someone pointed that out it would get worse, I could feel my face getting hot it was really embarassing, but thankfully that is not as bad nowadays, at least no one has pointed it out in a while.

That's why I absolutely hate taking pictures, I avoid them everytime I can, usually what happens is something similar to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0o6JyJ-jtU

5. Zombi3

That's because you let the anxiety control you, or you tense too much. Do more physical activity, and don't think on the surrounding but the location you're walking to.

6. lizella101

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm awkward in myself. And the best thing to do is to just be aware that people are going to giggle at you, but if you feel uncomfortable it's not you're fault. Sorry.

7. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to be physically awkward, but then I quit drinking and got better.

8. Incognito10

I have pretty bad social anxiety and I tend to tense up when I walk in front of people and I don't look "natural." For example, due to tensing up, I am more rigid, I don't know where to look (do I look at the people I am walking by or look straight forward? Will I appear rude?) or I don't know what I should be doing with my hands or arms sometimes. It is difficult to explain, but if you have social anxiety, you likely understand.

9. MagicPotato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm a shy and introverted guy. So I rarely talk to others, it was worse when I was in the closet. Sometimes I notice that my jaw starts shivering when I get nervous. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it gets really annoying. Anyway, I know you may have heard this a lot but, try to ignore the people around you. Even if you make a fool of yourself, most people will forget it by the time they get home.

10. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I dont exactly do what you do, but i walk or run in the wierdest fucking way and i actually try to avoid PE, despite being pretty athletic.

11. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thanks for your replies guys.

Today, I went to the mall to buy something. As usual, I got the stares and giggles from other people. But, like you have said, I just tried to ignore them. It was quite tough to ignore but I did it. Thanks for your suggestion MagicPotato.

12. Footnerd

Footnerd Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've always walked with a slight limp which is how the kids in elementary school knew I was gay long before I ever did, I have noticed the same thing happen when under the gaze of straight people, something tenses up and it gets much worse sometimes. Don't know what causes it though and I am also severely introverted or have social anxiety or do at least until I am comfortable speaking to someone.