1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Positive vs Negative

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, May 17, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Are you, generally, more positive or negative in terms of attitude?

Would you consider yourself, generally, more upbeat or feeling down?

How do you tend to perceive the world, and everything in it?

If others were asked to answer this about you, what would they say?

2. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I'm a giant "Negative Nancy." I definitely view the world in a more negative light, and I usually feel more down than way upbeat. There are times when I'm more positive and much more upbeat, but that's not as often as it could be. And, if you asked others about me, they would most likely say something similar. However, I do have two relatively negative thinking friends, so there's that.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm more positive. Or maybe not positive, but tend to shove negative thoughts out of my mind and ignore them.

4. MisterTinkles

There is no such thing as "positive" and "negative" attitudes, only those who see reality and those who hide their heads up their asses against reality.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Until the world shits lilacs and rainbows, I'm not going to pretend it does.

I think it's important to see the beauty in the world. But it's just as important not to pretend like there's no conflict and that there aren't people getting hurt. It's important to train to fight on their side. I would love very much to "just live my life," and if that's what others want to do, I don't begrudge them that. But they shouldn't go around as though all the fights are over, and we need to just spread flowers over everything.

~ Adrienne

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Negative. It's how I cope. If I can't complain about school and such, I don't know how I'd get through it!

7. C P

C P

Do I even need to answer this? I'm pretty sure most members here who know me can answer that for themselves...

...but, while I may be a (very) pessimistic person, for once, I can agree with MisterTinkles in that I tend to see it as seeing things in a more realistic light than outright negativity.

Still waiting on that black hole to just suck this planet up...

Eta: Wow, I can even agree with Austin in that it helps me cope with things. I must not be feeling well, heh...

8. CyanChachki

More positive, or at least I try to be.

9. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I sometimes think of this as a scale from 1-10 (lower end negative, upper end positive). People seem to have their default level that they revert back to. For myself I'd say I'm generally around 6-7; more 'amused' than actually 'happy' most of the time, but on the positive end. I seem to have a low tolerance for misery. I can feel sad, anxious etc about something specific for a short period of time, but it quickly fades and either switches back to amusement, or changes into proactivity if something needs to be addressed and/or resolved. How much of this is down to me being 'positive' in nature, and how much is due to a stubbornly frustrated refusal to simply allow the negative things to get the better of me, varies.

Those who know me well, or well enough, would probably say I am positive. I've had people I've known for years express bemusement as to how and why I'm frequently smiling.

To those who don't known me very well I think some of my views of the world might come across as cynical or even suspicious at times, personally I see my viewpoint as neutral; simply logical observation. I tend to think (in fact know) that a large chunk of humankind is inherently stupid, makes the same mistakes over and over again and fails to learn anything from them, and often fails or refuses to see the obvious errors of its ways. By contrast, I also see the triumph of kindness, individuality and the indomitable nature of the human spirit when it is really pushed into a corner or facing great adversity. All things in balance, basically.

10. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I try to see the bright side in everything but I'm no Pollyanna.

11. 447

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a realist, so I couldn't say whether I'm positive or negative. It is what it is I suppose :V

12. Jellal

I have a positive opinion of myself and my life, but a negative opinion of the world at large, and life in general.

13. confuseddreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really interesting question this.
    Using Tigerinatophat's scale from 1-10 (lower end negative, upper end positive), I'd say
    Are you, generally, more positive or negative in terms of attitude?
    4 (others would probably reckon a 6)
    Would you consider yourself, generally, more upbeat or feeling down?
    4 (others I think would see me as a 7)
    How do you tend to perceive the world, and everything in it?
    5 (others I think would also see this as a 7)
    I am I think, contented, rather than actually 'happy' most of the time, and I try to keep my negative feelings to myself as I don't like to "drag others down".
    I just don't like to make others unhappy, and thankfully, it's not very often my negativity comes to the surface.

14. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth

Positive, definitely. Fairyly balanced, but most of the time I'm quite a perky pixie.

Ha! Since beginning to accept my gender stuff more and more this is actually not such a simple question anymore. Both! ^^ I'm generally upbeat and down at the same time nowadays...

The anchor of pain I hold bears down
    Praying for light,
    I pray for the sound
    Of drops in heaven falling to the ground

I tend to see it as 'things suck quite much right now. But there really is so much we can do so much better if we just work together to stamp out the systemic errors which keep us chained to this pale existence. There is light here also. But things could easily be so much better.'

Probably that I'm perky, albeit grave and mysterious at times <( ^-^ )>

15. Lyana

I've had a positive attitude for the past couple years. Strange, because I used to be the complete opposite. But now I'm more laidback, I take things as they come, and when they come, I laugh in their face. Definitely more upbeat, especially around others -- I never want to give off that depressing vibe.

It's funny, because I don't actually love the world all that much. I have a rather cynical outlook and I don't have much faith in humanity, but I tend to focus on the things and people I do like, and take joy in that.

I realized my attitude had changed drastically when an acquaintance told my best friend he liked me because "She's always smiling and so upbeat." My best friend told me later, and I laughed in her face and said, "Who, me? Damn, he must hang out with really depressed people."
    But actually, he was right.

16. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In general I'm more positive. I like speading positivity and good vibes and I try to see the good in people. But I'm a realist too. I tend to see things as they are and I don't try to whitewash the facts.

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

You cant go wrong with a healthy balance of both.

18. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I always expect the worst,so even if something bad happens it's something positive as it is still better than the worst =P

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm more of a positive person, and prefer not to dwell on negative thoughts for too long. I find overly pessimistic and negative people to be really irritating - but the same applies to overly chipper people.

I'm also less cynical when it comes to human nature. A lot of people think human nature is bad but I disagree - I always give people the benefit of the doubt, and I think most people are good.

#19 imnotreallysure, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  20. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Yeah, I mean what's bad about eating, sleeping, f*cking and being nice? :lol: