1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going Topless

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, May 18, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'll get right to it:

Men are usually allowed to be shirtless, no problem. However, if a woman does it, all of a sudden, it's indecent. Some[/S] exception seems to be made if a woman is breastfeeding, but even that causes problems with individuals occasionally, but that isn't what I'd like to centrally focus on.

Should everybody be able to go shirtless? Basically, why are da b00bz sexual but da pecs aren't?

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I have to admit, if women started walking around with their boobs hanging out then it'd be pretty weird and I'd find it slightly uncomfortable. It's like if men started walking around with their penises on display.

I've often wondered why boobs are sexual though - they're just big chunks of flesh, after all.

3. Lyana

Funny! I was just thinking about this in the park yesterday. Since it's getting hot, there were many shirtless men playing soccer, sleeping in the grass, or just walking around. Number of shirtless women? Zero. It's funny to me, being bi. Some of these guys had pretty sexy abs, and while I didn't stare, I I didn't appreciate the sight any less than I would have had it been a woman. Are we implying that men have no self-control and will pounce on a woman whose breasts are exposed? If so, that's a problem with men (and consent), not women.

I dislike the double standard. I would have liked to be topless there. It was freaking hot, and I'd just be more comfortable. The thing is, it's legal, but it's not done.

To me, breasts are not genitals and shouldn't have to be hidden. (Should genitals have to be hidden, anyway? But that's not the topic here.) Breasts are not inherently sexual or indecent. Some of us have smaller chests than some men. Also, it seems like it gets really indecent when a woman's nipple is showing -- you can expose side boob or the top of your breasts, but a nipple? Oh the horror! And let's face it, there's no way in hell that makes sense. Guys have nipples, too.
    Have a look at this comic.

Topless women are tolerated at the beach here (I've personally never seen a negative reaction, nor a rape on the beach -- see, guys can control themselves!), but never seen anywhere else. The only reason I don't go topless is because I'm not brave enough to be the first.

#3 Lyana, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I dont know why people are so uncomfortable with the human body. I wouldnt care if females walked around with their boobs out.

5. Jellal

I wish it wasn't a big deal at all. But I may not be the best person to ask this question to since I'm maybe ... abnormally comfortable with nudity. At least according to the reactions I get from my friends.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's okay and probably for the best. Revealing the body of a goddess would be too much for mortals.

<3

7. randomly me

randomly me Guest

My problem with the whole thing is that even if a woman wears a bra (ie the obvious sexual thingie isn't visible anymore) it seems to be some kind of taboo and there are definitely going to be some annoying comments...-.-

(the only exception seems to be a bikini)

8. CyanChachki

Yes, everyone should be able to go shirtless. Just because men's chests aren't over sexualized, doesn't mean that they're not half naked. They still are and they're allowed to do it on TV without getting their nipples blurred out. They can go almost anywhere without people caring all that much.. yet if a woman does the same thing, she's streaking, she's nude and the cops are called. I feel like this is just another thing where women will have to cover up for the ones attracted to them. You're attracted to their breasts? Great..but that shouldn't have any effect on being able to be shirtless.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cue the feminists saying boobs shouldn't be sexual, but they are because men are terrible creatures, and we need to free the boobies.

Anyways, no, everyone should not be able to go around shirtless. Boobs are sexual in our society (a fact is a fact) and so it's indecent exposure.

10. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Yes. Without exception. No ifs, ands, or buts. Only boobs.

11. randomly me

randomly me Guest

In defense of all women....it's fucking hot in summer.

12. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I think we ought to be allowed to go bare-arsed if it suits us, personally.

13. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's legal for a woman to go topless in most of the U.S.

14. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno about anywhere else but in the UK it's legal to go outside butt-naked if you want to. It's only illegal if someone complains.

16. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Personally, I don' get why people don't get that boobs are not supposed to be sexual.

Fair enough if you like boobs, hell, I love boobs, but they are designed to feed babies. That's it.

Though, of course, our society does not see it that way.
    I'd like to live in a world where when it gets really hot I can take off my top just as freely as a man and not feel ashamed of having boobs, but at the moment, it's not happening.
    Maybe one day it will be acceptable, and on that day, hallelujah.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's legal here in many places, but not all. And even where it's legal, it tends to be restricted to beaches. But what you say about the 'if someone complains' is interesting, because most won't bat an eye at a man being topless, but a woman they will, even where it should be okay.

I know in Kentucky, despite it being legal, a woman is not often allowed to be topless at a pool. A man can and this is fine, but if a woman does, she can be asked to leave and even banned from the pool. Of course, I'm speaking about in my area. I cannot speak on behalf of all of Kentucky.

When some women tried to take local legal action, it was pretty much decided, even if it is legal for a woman to be topless, it's up to individuals/places whether or not they allow it. I could understand in areas where men aren't allowed shirtless, but a pool?

I was rather surprised that was it. Folks just accepted it and moved on. At that point it wasn't so much about the being topless, it was the fact a legal body said, more or less, "Sometimes, we get to pick and choose what laws we follow."

That disturbed me.

18. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I don't know why this is a thing. It makes me angry. My brother gets so uncomfortable and pissed off if I walk from the bathroom to my room (which is literally three steps) without a shirt on. It's not like I'm full on naked, I'm wearing a bra. But why is it ok for him to walk around without his shirt or without his damn pants?!

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, if it is thought that male breasts are not sexualized and obscene, but female breasts are, there must be some kind of a gendered difference. I don't really see a way around that.

Most times, I prefer not to see people's bare chests, but I see no reason to use force of law to do so.

20. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    topless is ok but there needs to be an age cutoff for public safety reasons.