1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

for the gay couple with or plaining to have kids

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bi in MD, May 18, 2015.

1. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    How are you going to handle it if the come out to you as straight?

2. LD579

If your partner comes out to you as straight, or your kid does?

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I echo what Dain is asking. Could you be a bit more clear on who would come out to us?

But assuming you're talking about my (future) kids, I'm not going to put any pressure on them at all to come out to me. I'm going to let them know from a young age that it's okay with me if they like the opposite sex, same sex, both, or neither. I'll love my kids regardless. Also, while society stays heteronormative, I don't think anybody will be pressured to come out as straight, as many already assume you are straight until proven contrary.

4. LD579

To be clear, people don't have to come out as straight — not while society is heteronormative — unless people have stereotyped them as gay and it becomes assumed, or unless they've previously come out as something besides straight.

Thus a kid wouldn't really need to come out as straight unless they came out as something else first, and a kid raised by 2 non-heterosexual people would realistically have very understanding parents regardless of his/her sexuality.

If a partner came out to you as straight, then there would be a long-term issue with having the type of love you thought you would be able to, and having a kid together may not be possible any longer. It doesn't seem like it would be very common though, once you reach that point with someone, because society's pressure to be heterosexual would have already been dealt with, and in theory wouldn't come full-force back, unless they somehow realized they were straight after all this time. Again, it sounds very uncommon once you've had a relationship with someone for that long, enough to consider having kids.

5. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    just to clear it up
    this is a light hearted thread for joking purposes only.