1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would happen if most people didn't want kids

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, May 18, 2015.

1. Driftr

Would a government still try to pursuade its citizens to procreate if most of them wanted a childless lifestyle? Would they have to bring back those campaigns where they bribe you with money to have kids?

Would there be another alternative? Like say developing robots to take over jobs?

I think that if that ever happened, the government would really start to look into artificial wombs, but even then, if most of the population does not want kids then who would raise all of the babies from artificial wombs?

What do you think of this scenario?

2. PurpleGrey

The world being as overpopulated as it is, I'd like to see a change in attitude about pregnancy. Like, is it such a big deal for your kid to be biologically yours? Or rather, that couples would want their kid to live in a world less crowded, so they adopt kids that have already been born. Maybe skip the youngest years, get a kid of like, twelve so they can stop worrying about aging out of the system.

Ah, I've wandered off-topic. If less people wanted kids, if that was the norm, I don't think it would flip the population issue. People would still have sex, because sex doesn't have to be about babies. If anything, it would make the majority of children wards of the state. Also kinda emotionally damaged at the thought of literally NOBODY wanting them.
    Unless the norm is, Birth, system, adulthood, sex, handing over junior to the government. They wouldn't even know it was sad. Damn, that's bleak...

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

People would still have sex and accidents would still happen, so I can't see us ever going extinct.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long as there's still a religion called Mormon then there will always be people on this planet.

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With the world population growing as it is, perilously high, it seems sheer perversity to even begin to *worry* about what would happen if it started to get smaller.

6. Psaurus918

People make such a big deal over babies... Especially in my family in the last 5 years we've had 6 newborns and everyone keeps asking me or my other cousin when were gonna have babies because the other kids are past the "cute" stage... Obviously no one knows I'm gay and my cousin doesn't want kids

7. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think if people stopped having children the world would actually be better....less pollution trash etc....kinda like in the past....grow your own food have more land etc

8. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think there should be a limit to how many kids you are allowed to have. I think three is enough. Then depending on if you are a same sex or couple or not, either the men or women get fixed to prevent any unplanned babies.

9. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I kinda agree with Purple Grey. I see a future where it would become the norm to be raised in the system then in adulthood turn any children that are born back into the system.

However, if you say " didn't want kids and took steps to prevent them" then it would play out quite differently. You said "most people" not "all people", so there would always be those that did want children. I would assume that since most people didn't want kids that they would probably act like they have toward the LGBT community towards those who do want kids. In a few generations those that don't want (and never had) children would start to decline (die) faster than the children are born. In a few generations the number of those that do want kids and the number that don't would start to level out. A few more generations later wanting kids would be the norm again.

This scenario would cause a pretty sharp drop in the human population and then we would eventually be overpopulated again.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In first world countries, it would be a problem. It is a problem. Fewer people are getting married. Fewer are having kids or want kids. Those who have spent a lot of time on schooling and career and who have the ability aren't going for it. Kids often seem to be born into situations where they can't be cared for like they should be.

In less developed countries, there is no problem. People are having kids ... lots of them.

Taken together, these situations aren't good all the way around. I think the problem will take many, many years for it to show up.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just check out countries like Japan if you want to see the effects of not having enough children to sustain your population.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Those who control the youth, control the future.

I would be wary of anybody that promoted a campaign for, or adamantly embraced, population control and was involved with government. Those who govern would make sure their legacy continued, even if they spoke about being selfless for the sake of the planet or resources, by having children.