1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anti war vs. anti veterans

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, May 19, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A blog I saw prompted me to make this post and made think where should the line drawn. On this blog I saw woman complaining about signs and banners with the phrase"Support Our Troops" and saying how the soldiers our bad people. I am offended by this sentiment in society that soldiers who are just doing their jobs are bad people and I have strong support for our veterans and would go to any cemetery and give my praise to every veteran buried there if I could. Just place my hand on their grave and thank them for their service. War is terrible and as many other people I disagree with the Irag War and think it should of never happened but it does not go to the point where I hate the people who served. So with the risk that is thread will turn into a flame war and get deleted I was wondering what your thoughts on people who turn soldiers into enemies and horrible people also going as far as disrespecting the American Flag. I hope you all have a great memorial day and take time to go to a cemetery and thank your veterans this weekend.

2. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Lets just thank those soldiers throughout our countries history that served in order for those people to maintain the right to speak poorly of them.

3. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    There is a fine line.

The troops are doing what the government tells them to do. It's not their fault that the war itself is unjustified. If my problem is the war, then I will complain about the government, not the troops.

That said, many troops do engage in egregious behavior, and it needs to have light shed on it.

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. Well Said.

---------- Post added 19th May 2015 at 08:44 AM ----------

Exactly. I am tired of soldiers being put down but I also agree there are soldiers who come back to this country with this cocky know it all attitude and they think they a something of a higher power because they served their country. Of course not all of them are like that but there are veterans who believe they are superior to others.

5. kem

kem

I wouldn't blame the soldiers for war, it's the authorities that decide it. That said, it's not like every soldier is automatically a saint. Also, I wonder, if there were no soldiers, would there be war?

https://youtu.be/LTr60WYjNM4

6. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As much as I respect veterans for doing their jobs, I find it stupid when they get elevated to "heroes", and everyone idolises them as if they were gods. It's not just soldiers who won wars. It's the government that we should hate for getting us into these wars.

What does annoy me; however, is how it's a really bad occasion when a soldier dies. As there's no draft, isn't that what they sign up for?

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well its bad for the friends and family of those who were killed also for the soldiers themselves. The pain they go through is unimaginable and even though they sometimes sign up for it themselves fully knowing what they get into I give them nothing but respect and gratitude and it is still a very sad event.

8. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

All people are every sorts of shades of grey, meaning they aren't completely good or comety bad. There are good soldiers who want to serve for the right things, and there are bad soldiers who make very terrible decisions at times. That doesn't mean that soldiers are entirely evil for being the military.

Veterans are in a sense good people, they go out of their way to help other veterans and show respect towards their fellow veterans and soldiers. Although some of them usually do stay neutral on their status as veterans as well, it wouldn't mean they're wrong for doing that either.

The people who blame soldiers and hate them are always misunderstanding the bigger picture. It's usually government who drive the military into unnecessary war. A lot of people these days however try to respect soldiers with dignity and honor, trying to deviate from how Vietnam veterans were treated after they returned.

It's usually never the soldier to blame overall, and it's usually the government at fault for most of the problems the soldiers go through. Most people see it that way now. However, there is still a minority, one that will be highly vocal over the silent majority, who will bash soldiers instead of the government, mainly because of different factors that are vague. They are still in the minority next to the ones who support the troops.

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not anti-veteran in the slightest (I've always been one to support veterans). I am however, anti-military industrial complex that makes so many people veterans that we can't afford to treat right. The underfunded VA and rate of homeless veterans proves that. If we can't afford to take care of people we make veterans, don't send them to war.

Also, I don't believe every veteran is infallible, either. That's very prevalent by the 100,000 to one million Iraqi citizens we killed in the Iraq War. There are also those who raped young boys in front of their mothers, and people like Allen West that got a kick out of torturing people by pointing a rifle at their head, and shoot to miss and give them emotional trauma.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This:

And this:

Sum up my opinion on this.

When I obtained conscientious objector status, I was put through a very frustrating and condescending process, which was topped off with a guilt trip. The recruiting office was happy as can be when I first arrived, but when I told them what I wanted, the mood almost immediately turned. Suddenly, I was no longer this bright and courageous individual, I was this selfish and ungrateful problem.

If I want to fight in a war, I'll do it. But I'm not getting thrown into combat, especially if those who can declare conflict, don't.

What I hate seeing/hearing is, individuals who would otherwise never join the military, do so because it's the only way they feel they can make it in life -- that is terrible.

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed!

12. kem

kem

Conscientious objector high five! o/ I spent 6 months under house arrest for that, but I've mentioned that like a gazillion times on EC already.

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    It's been said before here and it's to be said again. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    Except for when the player rapes civilians, throws stray dogs off of cliffs, and, significantly, slaughters innocent people, etc. etc.
    And I don't approve of the whole 'be proud of our veterans' sentiment at all. Here's the deal:
    Capitalism requires imperialism. Imperialism requires soldiers (for now). They are mere pawns played by the wealthy.
    They are not protecting anyone. At least not the soldiers of major countries e.g. the US. They are deluded to fight for the corporations. If you take the YPG in Syria/Turkey, for example, that's another question.

They deserve help when they come back, and support, not homelessness or being rejected.
    But saying 'oh, we're so proud of you for protecting our country, you're our herous', would likely sound disgusting in the ears of the families of the people they killed (including civilians).

14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I cannot stand at my grandpa's grave and say your no hero for serving your country. In no way or no how sorry.

15. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Nor did I say you should. But if you praise all veterans collectively you're praising the insitution, the institution which is murderous.

Praising individuals is something else.
    And I never think serving any nation state is heroic, if I may be blunt. Doing your best to do the right thing and be a good person is heroic and should be praised. Being a soldier doesn't mean you're inherently trying to do the right thing or that you're a good person as little as it means that you're necessarily a bad person.

16. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know. War is horrible I think we can at least agree on that. I seen some very anti war people though who cry about freedom of speech and than harass and demonize others who practice their right to freedom. Not saying you are doing that just saying in general some people in that movement go too far.

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like hating anybody. But war is terrible. I feel that we should honor veterans for their courage and such, but not act like the fighting itself is good. If I were to fight in a war, I would feel proud of myself for being brave and getting through it, but bad for being involved in fighting. People act like fighting for your country is great in every way, but besides the heroic idea it's not that great to be part of such a devastating thing. That's how I see it.

18. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    What's "many"? Are we talking about anecdotes? We kinda have to be to make a statement like that, yeah? I haven't seen any statistics that say soldiers in general are more likely to commit crimes. There are studies that say returning veterans are more likely to commit violent crimes if they've witnessed or been involved in traumatic incidents, but that's a societal problem and it's our job -- all of us -- to support them, whether actively or just by supporting things like the VA with our tax money.

Anyone who experiences trauma is going to be changed. We can't fault people for being human.

19. Psaurus918

Veterans of yesterday are different than the veterans of today. Our great grandfathers and grandfathers worked, went to war to serve our country, came home and went back to work. Today it seems like many sign up for the wrong reasons, heck my cousins ex said he only signed up so he could kill people. Obviously not all of today's veterans are the same and most had good intentions but there are too many that have this cocky attitude or feel everyone owes them.

Also a draft is completely different than volunteering, if you volunteer to fight you know the risks going in. I'm all for programs that help veterans returning home get set up with a job and mental help.

Lastly no ones fighting to protect our freedom of speech.. Maybe WWII but not since then has our freedom of speech been endangered by a foreign country. Freedom of speech is a war between us and our government

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. i remember telling a friend of mine that my cousin is serving in Irag and he says to me well my father is probably a better soldier than your cousin cause my father is a ranking military official. Some people in the military now have this cocky attitude that they are above society because they served and they can do what they want but anyway that does not stop me from supporting the freedom they fight for and from supporting them.