1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

you're so skinny, here eat a fist sandwich?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wannahavechange, May 19, 2015.

1. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello ladies, gents,and cat people!!! My question today is that why is it tolerable.... I guess that's the word I'm looking for to say those word every skinny person dislikes: "wow you're so skinny, I bet you can eat all you want and not get big" or "Damn you want an extra sandwich"

My thought process is, it's not okay to call someone out on their body weight. It's really disrespectful to call someone fat or overweight, but if someone is called to skinny it's considered not?, maybe because people don't look at it as put down. Idk?
    Seriously thouh, when people tell me I need to eat more I look at them and laugh on the inside... are you Kidding me I want to scream," I have junk food monster that eats anything sugary, covered in cheese, or sour cream and onion!!!"
    Do you know the struggle of skinny peeps!!! First off if you're dating or just testing the waters and you're at the,movies and your gal pal or boy toy puts thier head on your shoulder... they're going to get speared by your shoulder blade!! I've had my sister tell me " damn boy you could poke out an eye with your shoulder!"
    So for anyone who is struggling with body issues or if you like the way how you look. I love all of you and rock the fuck on!!!
    Oh and btwsies: some people look good skinny, big, or in the middle. It's your body you do with it whatever you want . Chow;-):lol::lol::lol:frowning2:!)

2. Ghosts

I know I'm very bony and skinny and I weighed my self a while ago and I weighed 112 pounds I was so happy I gained a few pounds. Most people think being so skinny is great but for my height im underweight and its not healthy and I dislike when I hurt people when laying on them.

3. I was told just yesterday that I needed to gain 50 pounds by someone (that 'someone' was a guy who apparently is of the 'getting big = important' mindset but yet is of a moderate build/weight). Why would I aim for that when a weight closer to 115 would be an okay weight for my height?

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well when people say "you can probably eat all you want" they're probably jealous since they can't.

But in general I think it's more acceptable to call someone skinny than overweight because it's more acceptable (and desirable, for some) to be skinny, even though it's annoying for skinny people...

5. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really sure what the original question was, but as an underweight youngster, I feel obligated to post in this thread. It doesn't bother me too much when people comment on my weight, or my appearance in general. Hell, it always gets me an extra slice of pie at Grandma's. That's not a bad deal.

Sure, it's not polite to comment on other people's bodies, but humans are hardwired to make snap judgments about others' looks, and often have a hard time keeping their thoughts to themselves, so I can't really blame them.

6. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You guys are awesome and thanks for commenting, it's nice to hear different viewpoints;-)

7. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I don't mind much being called on being skinny or being able to eat a lot without gaining weight, because it's true. If they're rude about it and call me anorexic or "bony", then I don't like it. There's a line between just pointing something out and being rude. The thing is, no one can really "point out" that someone is fat because there's such a stigma against it -_-

I think it is natural to make comments, but people need to be a little more respectful sometimes.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

People make you sandwiches when you're skinny?

Nobody makes me sandwiches, so I must be fat~!

LOL.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm underweight too, but my mom was even more so at my age, and now she's overweight. Most people in my family are overweight, so perhaps it's coming. o.o Though I'm not as thin as I used to be; doctors were always concerned about me but since then I've gained and I think I'll be a normal weight by the time I'm an adult (if not suddenly overweight like my parents, lol).

But I often feel that underweight people's problems are ignored. You always hear people bashing fat people but if I tell someone I'm underweight they get jealous (when they're a perfectly normal weight!). So that's pretty weird...

10. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am the only skinny in our family. My dad, mom, and brother are all fatties :lol: I actually like being the only skinny in our family! I always get the last pizza, I always get to eat more ice cream than anyone, I always get to eat more chocolates than my brother, etc. I eat a lot tho. In every meal, I always eat with atleast 2 cups of rice. Weirdly, I am still skinny and havent been gaining weight for the last years.

I like the special treatment they give me for being skinny :grin: Tho I am very much striving to gain weight.

11. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My little sister tries to give me food she doesn't like (vegetables mostly) and when I tell her she should eat them herself she says, "But you're too skinny! You should eat my vegetables for me!" :lol: She doesn't do that with dessert though...

12. Formality

I've felt skinny all of my life. I've hated my body for being skinny, feeling like I don't look big and strong enough. I've been told I'm too skinny and that I need to eat more.
    Actually people, I eat enough. If I'm hungry I eat. I never don't eat because I think I'm too big :lol:. Rather the opposite I try to eat as much as I can so I won't look so skinny.

I don't really mind when people tell me I'm skinny nowadays. I know who I am and I know what I am capable of so I don't really care too much about what other people say about my body. But I know how I have felt in the past when I was younger and very sensitive to criticism.

So yes, I think there is a problem here. People should not be criticized or ridiculed for their weight. Most of the time those people are already aware of their weight and probably already feels self-conscious about it. Calling them out on their body isn't gonna help them in any way.

13. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I used to be bit chubby and really wanted to lose some weight, even though no one had ever said anything about my weight. It took me six months to get rid of 10kg - after that people started to comment how slim I was and it didn't feel good. At first it was, but soon it started to be awkward. At that time I had some problems with eating and body image. It was always a struggle to decide what to wear cause I didn't want to look fat but not too skinny either.

Nowadays I've gained about 5kg back and I feel so much better than when I was lighter. I've stopped weighing myself - I love food and exercise. I've realised my body needs the fuel to be able to do stuff I want.

14. Justinian20

I've always been a skinny boy, I was almost always underweight in every way and I eat so much food. So when I was a teenager and my guy acquaintances told me to eat more, I would just be like, "What the, I eat so much food it's not funny," I hated my body as a teenager, I just wanted to put on weight. I was so skinny and it made me feel weak as well.

But ever since the beginning of last year, I began to realize that I should be happy with my body, I now dream of having a muscly boyfriend and I am very happy with my body, especially since one time I was told I had the look of a model and so I took that and said, "Yes I do have that body of a model." But my mother who made that comment after a while said I don't have the body of a model. Finally I was like "Well, I'm not listening to that cause you are did not accept me when I came out." (All this was last year).

I've also started dressing for my body as well, cause I'm skinny I need clothes that fit a skinny boy like me.

Honestly on to the topic that the OP brought up, it can be harmful to say that someone is skinny especially if they have body image issues like I did. I didn't want to hear about my weight cause it made me feel so useless and weak and unmanly as well. I know it's uncommon for a guy to care about his body and have body image issues. There are moments where I've made comments about it, but I remember one incident last year where we were talking about cannibalism and who would be eaten first. They all ganged up on me, so I just stated, "Hey honey, I'm a skinny ass boy with not much meat on my bones and so if you eat me well you'll need to eat someone else too," then I pointed out the larger member of the group and logically said, "We'd eat you, cause you got the most meat out of everyone." Then she got upset and I was thinking, "We were talking about cannibalism and you get upset with logical solutions in a situation like that."

#14 Justinian20, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  15. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm apparently the right weight for my height but I can't help but feel that I need to fill out slightly. I find it really hard to buy clothes especially tops and shirts which fit properly. I usually have to buy really slim fit. But only a few shops seem to stock it and it's usually expensive. I'd love to put a little bit of a weight ob but I can't.

16. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel your pain :-(

17. Numb

So, I'm not a confident person, I don't like my body at all.
    I was bullied all they way trough middles school (especially for being feminine- they called me gay before i knew i am, my high pitched voice- at that time, i wasnt really good looking either, and to top it all off i was skinny.)
    So years go by and puberty does it's job, I can honestly see myself as good looking, at least when it comes to my face, but my body... that's still something im not confident with
    It's gotten to the point where, because media portrays all the guys as muscle-y and buff and shit i just feel un-manly and worthless, and i know i shouldnt care because most people that point out my 'flaw' are actually overweight and probably jealous... Yeah kids are mean what can i say

---------- Post added 27th May 2015 at 05:23 AM ----------

Guuurl, you sassy. :eusa_clap

18. AlamoCity

I am actually not skinny at all by a long shot and could stand to lose weight, but I am a size "medium, slim fit" in most brands. I think that the Western world has seen an uptick in the median person's size and they have inflated clothing sizes. Even when it comes to pants, some retailers will SERIOUSLY fudge waist sizes to make people feel better (I'm looking at you Old Navy, there's no way I'm a legitimate 32 :lol:slight_smile:.

19. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Yeah, now that people who are kind of skinny are getting to be a minority, people are thinking they have carte blanche to pick on these people, not only because they are a defenseless minority but because of nonexistent "thin privilege." If you're skinny, then just wait. You will see that, and it just might make you commit murder. Let me keep you from having to eviscerate somebody right now: you're not alone, and there are people you can talk to.

I'm chronically middle-weight, so I don't have a problem either way. However, I have a friend who cannot gain weight, even though she was at one point trying desperately to because she wanted to become a mesomorphic body-builder type, and the thing is, she overloaded her adrenal glands to the point she was having serious problems and didn't gain an ounce.

She tried hanging with feminist groups. She found out the hard way that a lot of them spend a lot of time putting down skinny people as "barbie dolls" and talking pretty arrogantly about how skinny is sooooo "unattractive" and "unhealthy" and all that. They style themselves as progressive, but they are still just putting down people who look differently from themselves.

Hello, but some people are naturally skinny, and there is no healthy way for them to gain weight. Their metabolism attempts to bring them back down to being skinny, and the health effects of trying stuff their way to what is considered conventionally to be a "normal weight" just might make them sick.

Some people are just fat. They can control this, to some extent, by living a healthy lifestyle. You don't have to be thin, but you do have to try to take care of your health, including watching your heart health, particularly if you have an Ebenezer Scrooge of a metabolism. Do what your doctor says, not what demagogues on television or the radio say, and I don't care if you want to be "all about that bass." Your doctor knows what she's doing.

But there is no excuse for shaming people, based on their body type. Someday, I'm going to have some jerk trying to shame me based on the fact that I'm a middie, and I'm going to have that person saying "middie privilege." I will resist the urge to break that person over my knee, and I will repeat the same things. Listen to your doctor, not to me or some imbecile on television or the radio, and you'll be fine.

#19 Christiaan, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  20. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, there is definitely some "table-turning" that has gone on in regard to how skinny people are perceived. The "curve appreciation" movement was well-intentioned but as with a lot of these things, it often went too far to the point where rather than "not-shaming" curvier people, it turned into shaming skinnier people. Even the word "skinny" itself is seen as perfectly acceptable to call someone, but don't you ever say "fat"!

I say this as someone who's been underweight most of my life. Can't tell you how many times I got called "shrimp". No one really seems to care about things like that...