1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our threads and post creates our ec persona

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Straight ally, May 19, 2015.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I just realized that the person people on ec sees is very different from the real person... Because there we dont post the entirety of our issues or life situations, we come here with a purpouse, and that purpise define what kind 's of threads you create, and those threads are the only thing other users know about you, this creates a version of yourself with is very different from the real you..

For example: maybe your life is in general wonderful, but you happen to have a problem with your boyfriend, and most of your threads here are about you asking for help on this, or ranting about this issue, so we dont know you are a person with a generally well life with a few problems, we instead only view the distressed you in its purest form and so we imagine you are living throught a tragic life...

Maybe you are here cause you like this community and you spend all the time on fun and games, and people just love how fun and wonderful you are, they view you in your pure happy mischiveous version and so they imagine your life is a happy one, but maybe your depressed.

Or in my case, usually i want to talk about sexual matters/issues/situations, because this is the perfect forum for that, but i fear that if i post many threads talking about sexual matters, people will conclude im a sex maniac or something.

I hope you enjoy my analisis, and i would love to see what do you think :slight_smile:

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the way i see it and sorry if it does not answer your question but i see it this way it doesn't matter how many threads you create or how many posts center around the same issue, or if your post covers every detail about the problem or issue to avoid assumptions or anything else you cannot control it people are gonna sometimes perceive it the way they want to perceive it and there is nothing you can do about that. It is the internet and some people act on impulse or react based solely on their experiences without giving a look at another perspective. I try not to care how others perceive me or if they jump to the wrong assumptions I try to accept people are gonna hear sometimes what they want to hear and sometimes their assumptions are so strongly held they won't give your prospective any acknowledgment. I am not saying all this to bash this site just saying it is the internet and don't worry about how you are perceived because most of it is out of your control and there is nothing wrong about posting the same kind of topics I don't think but I guess to some if it is a specific issue your asking about over and over again than it can be very annoying. But if you have a different problem on the sam kind of subjects don't feel afraid to write a post it is more than ok in my perspective.

3. ms24601

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree, but I think that applies to our lives in general, even when we interact with people face to face it is very unlikely they'll know all there is to know about you. I think you show different sides of your personality depending on who you're talking to, whether you do it consciously or not. And perhaps, there are parts of your personality that you don't show to anyone at all, that you'd rather keep to yourself. So, I think in the end you're always presenting different versions of yourself to different people, I think the only one who can really know the real you is yourself.

4. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Excuse me I'm a happy mischievous person! :O

Lol

But I agree with ms24601, we're just so multi-faceted and even irl people might not perceive every side of you. And why should they? There are some parts of me I would rather keep to myself!

Some people might think I'm the dullest person they've known and some think I'm a little imp :lol:

5. nohalos

I'm actually this crazy irl.

But that being said, I can be a really shy guy towards new people I meet. But then once my guard is down, get ready for a wild ride.

But yeah, EC can be an escape for some. It could also be an alter-ego of theirs. I wouldn't really say that someone is two different people, I'd say it's a part of them that they find difficult to express properly on whichever side of the screen.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My on screen persona is much the same as my IRL persona. My IRL persona can also be quite a bit raunchier and more blunt. I'm not here for a popularity contest. I'm here to discuss issues that come up for me, not so much related to sex or sexuality but how to navigate situations that have happened or I expect to happen in life, and to have some fun every now and then, for which I find the "Saw a hot guy today" thread to be the perfect avenue and quite funny. As a Later in Life guy, my taste is quite a bit different than that of most of you, but who doesn't like every last gory detail, am I right?

7. HugasaurusRex

I am this huggy and loving in real life...I just love seeing people happy and making them smile...And giving them hugs! Though irl I tend to mess up when talking as my mouth tends to get ahead of my brain and unfortunately there is no backspace for speech!

8. The Wallflower

I can't tell you this is exactly how I am.

You see, I may not be this expressive IRL, but that's only with people I don't feel comfy with. Once I adapt to you, I do all kinds of crazy things.

However, on screen it is much easier to express myself because I don't face any pressure.

I agree with you a little bit, but not completely.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'll admit it, I actually speak in Comic Sans MS offline.

I know, the shock~!

10. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL! Hahahahahaha! :roflmao: Now I know! I always thought you are a Copperplate Gothic speaker :lol:

My EC persona is realer than my real life persona

Here on EC, I get express the real me and I dont have to think that what will come out of my mouth will give hints that I am gay or something like that. Very much different in real life. I aways have to filter my words over and over again before I say it, that's why I always speak very little. Maybe this is why I dont make friends that easy.

11. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Oh come now, dear. Everyone knows you really speak in Wingdings, no need to try to hide it.

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Naturally, most of us really can't tell too well what the difference is between the real us and what people on EC see. I suspect most of us feel like we're being pretty genuine...but we have a hard time recognizing what others *aren't* seeing.

But I don't see that as being any different from "real life". What is the difference between the "real you" and the you people in real life see? Surely, if you're not out, then all these wonderful thoughtful ideas you express here about LGBT issues don't come up in real life. Or the self-doubt issues that you feel comfortable talking about in this anonymous environment that you'd never discuss face-to-face with others.

So neither face is really "the authentic one"...in fact, there *is* no "authentic face"...there is just who you are in various settings. And the extent to which these match up across those settings is the measure of your integrity as a person. This isn't a question of virtue, per se, but basically, how "whole" you are, as opposed to fractured into little special-purpose selves.

I try to keep myself integral. Life is just easier that way. But there are topics that don't come up must in real life (many of the thread topics here, for instance), even though I am fairly out. And fewer people in real life ask explicitly for love and understanding...so I show it less explicitly in that venue. But it's still present in everything I do. I'm just as impatient and sharp with ignorance in real life as I am here. I am fairly introverted in real life...so people hear fewer of my thoughts and see less of my humor, though the quiet joke gets inserted now and again, and people raise their brow and say "heh, I guess she *does* have a sense of humor!"

In a real life setting, I'm actually at my worst when I *am* being outspoken...in a text environment like this, I have time to put my thoughts together...I don't need a *lot* of extra time, but just a few seconds can really help me to say something correctly once, rather than putting something badly and then having to spend 15 minutes explaining and justifying.

And yeah...I can get just as self-absorbed in real life as I am here. *sigh*

13. timo

Don't worry, I'm just as cynical in real life.

14. Jellal

The only difference between me on EC and my IRL persona is that on EC, I can type my thoughts, so I'm a lot more eloquent.