1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who else is sick of all this talk of bakers and cakes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, May 19, 2015.

?

Who else is sick of all this talk of bakers and cakes?

1. Yes, I've grown tired of it.

38.7%
  2. Nope, I love the baker/gay cake conversation

9.7%
  3. Neutral

51.6%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll have to admit, I'm almost ready to scream at the use of the example of baking a wedding cake for a gay couple as the go-to example for the larger question of whether or not businesses should be able to deny services to the LGBT community in general.

It trivializes the issue, which is the most dangerous aspect, and in all reality, I don't think many bakers really care all that much, or that all that many gay people would choose a baker that did.

The real issue is businesses in general, and I worry that all this cake-talk will be the sound-byte that dominates the discussion of this issue in the 2016 US presidential election, occluding intelligent discussion...

2. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Isnt there like a homophobic hot dog vendor or something?
    how about an anti gay tent rental company that wont rent tents for gay receptions.
    I mean, that could be legitimate, what if the tent material is not cleaned properly before the next use and an entire wedding party catches the gay or something?

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People don't realize that nondiscrimination laws are for more than just cakes and wedding photographers. Frankly, I'd like for not only the media, but even members of the LGBTQ community give up the façade that that's all these laws are for. As someone who is from a conservative rural area, it grinds my gears when people who live in large, accepting, urban communities try telling me that nondiscrimination laws are not needed.

4. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh shit, the inner libertarian.... its breaking through..... aaaaahahahahahahahaah

5. ForeverLost

LGBT hate and love is already a heated discussion itself. I don't see a reason to bring it into the world of food. But imagine those food fights, haha.
    I'm kind of neutral. I LOVE cakes with LGBT pride like coming out cakes.

6. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't even see why it's worth going through such trouble to force a baker to bake you a cake. I disagree with them denying you the cake, but when you go through such trouble to force them to, then it makes us look like the bad guy. There's plenty of other bakeries that will be happy to make you your cake. Just go there. Besides, the people you sue will probably do a sloppy job on it...

7. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahaha, after reading the title, I thought you just really hated cakes and baked goods :grin: I came into this thread ready to tell you that cakes are really good and that you need to chill out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nondiscrimination laws aren't about cakes.

9. LaEsmeralda

Gareth Lee went to another bakers and got his cake there. He still was within his rights to take Ashers to court for discrimination and lo and behold, he won!

10. Formality

At first I thought this was gonna be about all the baking shows on tv :lol: I was preparing to defend my precious baking shows like my baby.

11. Psaurus918

I'm glad people are calling bakeries out for not making a cake, this is not to force places to make something they don't want to but more along the lines of pointing out businesses that decide to put their faith or personal views before business.

I bet if bakeries refused to make religious cakes we'd be hearing the same crap, except most businesses would just make the cake, take the money and move on with their lives.

I'm an atheist, if I owned a bakery and someone wanted a cross shaped cake saying "I love Jesus" I'd make it as if it was any other cake and customer, I feel like a business refusing service is immature and bad business ethics. I know not all religious people are like this and I'd be more pissed off if I was religious and these people were creating a bad image.

12. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

My issue isn't so much about the legality of it. My issue is more about how it makes us look and the type of impression being sent. A bakery was sued out of $150,000 and had to go out of business. That really doesn't set a good example for the LGBT community when people are forced to accept something. The issue itself is complicated. It poses the question of what's more important: Should we focus more on changing minds or changing laws?

13. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    holy crap, was this really just posted? please let me (*hug*) you

14. LaEsmeralda

There were no laws changed. The bakery went outside of the law and that was why it lost the case. The media has sensationalised the idea of the 'gay man forcing the wholesome Christian family to bake him a gay cake' which is a ridiculous idea but the bigger issue is being missed. That you cannot discriminate on a religious basis. Don't blame the guy suing, blame the media for twisting this story to serve its own purposes.

Martin wrote a great post about this in the current events forum. I haven't mastered the art of eloquence yet :confused:

15. Psaurus918

No. Changing people's minds is a losing battle, there are always gonna be homophobes but what we can do is change laws to make it so gays can walk into businesses and not be turned away for their sexuality

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not both? Why do we have to choose? Both will help advance our cause. Would we be saying the same about things such as the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Acts back during the Civil Rights Movement? I think not.

17. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell naw, I will not vote in favor of making a non-discriminatory law. In fact, I'd like to limit congress's power regarding commerce.

18. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Eh, I was thinking about it a little differently. Keep in mind I'm not opposed to laws protecting LGBT people in local businesses, such as a bakery. I suppose I'm really just concerned with how severe the punishments are for those who do not oblige by such laws. The $150,000 fine was the one that concerned me the most.

19. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anti-discrimination laws don't typically apply just to businesses. They also apply to public services.

So, for example, you'd need an anti-discrimination law to ensure that I conducted my role as a social worker without discrimination. Without such a law, I could refuse to conduct child welfare assessments for a child at risk of significant harm, all because my spiritual beliefs do not agree with that child being conceived and nurtured outside of wedlock. Alternatively, a healthcare worker could refuse to set up a blood transfusion in an emergency clinic, because it does not conform to their beliefs.

There's also a variety of private companies involved in public statutory services, so you'd need the law to apply to them as well to ensure that they conform to it as a contract provider.

20. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good point. The government jobs are distinguished from the private market. But you did note that these two sectors do overlap a lot. Then it's fine to make laws non-discriminatory as long as it's for the government sector. If it is private, I believe it should be left untouched. It shouldn't be compulsory for private businesses to serve everyone. The only reason our country was able to weasel in our anti-discrimination laws for our private sector is because of our commerce clause. It has been over abused, and is unnecessarily limiting the choices of business owners.