1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I'm a lesbian, but I wasn't born this way"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Weregild, May 20, 2015.

1. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Just saw this video.
    I find Bindel's statement problematic, since it contributes a great deal to the erasure of a lot of orientations, but I agree that prejudice against the LGBTs is mainly rooted on the argument of lifestyle choices - I mean, when bigots say "everyone's a little gay, but they shouldn't act on it".
    Anyways, what do you guys think?

2. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    dont know what to say.
    I imagine that its possible to be honestly straight then switch teams for whatever reason.
    Im bi, as far back as I can remember I have had bi thoughts, first time I acted on them I knew right away that they were real.
    Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you dont...

3. HugasaurusRex

If we "choose" to be gay then how can a child as young as 6 (the age I was) understand that they are gay? At that age I did not even know what that meant, or even had a word for it, let alone choose to be it. So to say we choose to be gay/lesbian/bisexual or what ever else we are sounds very bigoted to me and just sounds like typical religious dogma.

4. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree with you...
    I think that being gay/being straight is what you are BORN with, however, sometimes it can change. Occasionally. I believe for some people, sexuality can be fluid, though for most, they arr the same. It's not a choice though, but things may change...

5. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reality is reality, if you feel a certain way or are attracted to someone at a certain time, that's that. It might be inherant for some, acquired by fluidity over time for others. What's important is you being honest with your attractions and how you feel for others.

6. kem

kem

Whether you choose it or not is irrelevant. Homosexuality doesn't suddenly become wrong because you weren't "born that way." As long as it doesn't harm either party it is fine.

7. sloths9

I feel as if it really depends on who it is. Some are born gay, others are not. I do think you can 'become' gay (sorry I dont know how else to say it) because everyone kind of has that part of them. Everyone is different in this way and it all just depends. Some have more testosterone then others and that results in their sexual orientation and gender. Same thing with all different types of hormones and I think many find their sexual orientation and gender around puberty because of all of those hormones

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was like a roller coaster of agreeing then disagreeing, then agreeing, etc. I think her idea is a little bit on the extreme side, meaning that it's probably wrong in many aspects.

I agree with her main idea: that being gay is okay whether it is a choice or not -- who cares? I do think that people arguing we are "born this way" and imply that it's completely genetic are probably wrong. I wonder if its easier for society to accept it if we get our foot in the door with that idea. However, it's dangerous if a genetic basis cannot be found; people need to recognize it doesn't matter one way or the other. There may be value in eliminating this from the argument.

I agree that it is doubtful a single gay gene will be found. However, I wouldn't doubt that genetics play a large factor. However, I agree that environment likely plays a huge role. It doesn't sound to me like she made an active choice to be a lesbian -- more that she finally decided to accept it. If she did make an active choice, good for her! I wouldn't doubt some people can decide to be gay but I'd guess those people have more bisexual tendencies... or their attraction changes over time. I think those people are in the minority. I know myself and many other gay people had feelings toward other boys at a young age. Still, whatever influences it, being gay isn't really a choice, but even if it were it's irrelevant.

9. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Some people are born gay, some people become gay, and some have gayness thrust upon them".