1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you childhood agree with statistics on homosexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ogmig, May 20, 2015.

1. Ogmig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did read a lot of the environmental factor that most gay men in studies seems to describe and i was surprised how my situation at home pretty much hit bull eye on everything the studies seems to describe.

Youngest male in family. Check
    Over protecting mother. Check
    Father absent at birth and emotionally withdrawn. Check
    Parents hates each other, threats are commons, ends up divorcing. Check
    Parents go back together for us after a while and ends up "divorcing" again after 1 or 2 years. Check
    From a very young age (5-10yo), father always upset never satisfied with anything i do. Get mad easily and never EVER teach me anything so i ends up spending time with my mother, sitting next to her when she apply makeup, listening to her music, watching TV shows with her.
    Overly macho and scary older brother that always threaten with violence no matter how mundane the problem is. Check
    Very shy, not very confidant got treated differently by peers in early childhood. Not boyish enough to play dodgeball with the boy but no interest in girls activities.
    Got "seduced" by another boy in very early childhood, convinced me to get naked together even tho there was no sex or anything this was very gay stuff waaay before my puberty.

I mean is there a specific childhood stereotype that i do not meet? I am not effeminate nor do i have any desire to be a women or for "woman" stuff in general. I feel like i am a male, my mental and personality is pretty much conform to what i observed in other males. It seems like if the environment is truly a cause then i am part of the statistics.

Just curious is anyone out there does not fit this profile in any way whatsoever. This is purely out of curiosity and a way to find out my self truth about who i am. I accept myself i am just trying to make sense out of my origins.

2. Psaurus918

-I'm the youngest male in my family (only son) but youngest male in extended family too
    -Very over protective mother
    -My father wasn't absent at birth but he spends his free time drinking (alcoholic)
    -Parents dislike each other (separated for a year but never divorced)
    -My father is never ever happy, has never said "good job" for anything I've done
    -I was very close to my mom growing up, watched tons of shows and movies together, shopping days together, mini vacations together
    -I don't have a brother so...
    -I actually liked dodgeball in school but hated baseball and football
    -I'm have very little confidence, even today I still don't
    -I was never seduced by another boy or man

Lastly I'd like to add I grew up with mostly female cousins I was really close with, when they were at my house we played with Hot Wheels but when I was at their house we'd play with Barbies

3. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hmm let's see...

Youngest male in family: Check...but also the oldest, I don't have any siblings

Over protecting mother: No. She's a bit protective, but compared to my friend's she's pretty chill

Father absent at birth and emotionally withdrawn: Nope. He's always been there.

Parents hates each other, threats are commons, ends up divorcing: No.

Parents go back together for us after a while and ends up "divorcing" again after 1 or 2 years:
    No. They've never divorced.

From a very young age (5-10yo), father always upset never satisfied with anything i do. Get mad easily and never EVER teach me anything so i ends up spending time with my mother, sitting next to her when she apply makeup, listening to her music, watching TV shows with her:
    No. In fact, my mother has always pushed me more than my father.

Overly macho and scary older brother that always threaten with violence no matter how mundane the problem is.
    Don't have any brothers

Very shy, not very confidant got treated differently by peers in early childhood. Not boyish enough to play dodgeball with the boy but no interest in girls activities.
    Hmm I'm shy and never really liked to play sports in school. Maybe my peers thought I was weird but I don't remember being treated differently. But yeah I was never interested in girls activities as well

Got "seduced" by another boy in very early childhood, convinced me to get naked together even tho there was no sex or anything this was very gay stuff waaay before my puberty.

This might have happened but I don't remember haha.

I don't think I fit the stereotype that much.

4. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

None of those. Not one!
    Seems I come from a very happy and boring family and had a good upbringing.
    I wouldn't believe any of those statistics; there are hundreds of books in how to lie with statistics and hundreds more that contradict one another.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Youngest male: No, my brother is the younger one.

Over protecting mother: Yes, extremely so. I remember my mom warning me about child abductors in the mall. If I strayed too far from her, they could grab me and take me to the bathroom and completely changed my appearance. If my appearance was changed, it would be harder for her to find me. My dad's safety & security mantra wore off on her.

Father absent and emotional withdrawn:Half a check. Not absent, but he worked frequently. He admits that he "shows he cares for us by working". I mean if we got hurt, he would fix us up. But being in the IT field, it doesn't lend itself to emotional connection.

Parents hate each other/divorce: No divorce because that is shameful in Evangelical culture, but there were plenty of verbal fights and my parents were close to separating when I was younger.

"From a very young age (5-10yo), father always upset never satisfied with anything i do. Get mad easily and never EVER teach me anything so i ends up spending time with my mother, sitting next to her when she apply makeup, listening to her music, watching TV shows with her": Yes, I always preferred to spend time with my mother. Given to be alone with one or the other, it would much sooner be my mom. I would take a bullet for her or my brother.

"Overly macho and scary older brother that always threaten with violence no matter how mundane the problem is."-N/A

"Very shy, not very confidant got treated differently by peers in early childhood. Not boyish enough to play dodgeball with the boy but no interest in girls activities."-Although I played baseball, I was frequently afraid of getting hit by the ball when I was younger. I was much better in the field than at the plate. I was treated differently because I was a preemie and took longer to read. I was bullied by some neighbor kids in like 3rd or 4th grade. The kids a block over from us hated anyone on our block.

"Got "seduced" by another boy in very early childhood, convinced me to get naked together even tho there was no sex or anything this was very gay stuff waaay before my puberty."-I was 12 before I got interested in other guys except for a vague memory of a crush in the 1st grade, but I truly was confused. I grew up in a bubble where I didn't know anyone who was gay and I was sheltered.

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the youngest, and not that confident.

Are those reallllly statistics? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

arfff

So far only few theories that you mention applies to me...

but

i'm gay and that's me, i dont need any further explanation tho

because its kind of confusing to discuss the origin of my gay-ness

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Youngest male in family.
    Yep.

Over protecting mother.
    Not unless you have a REALLY liberal definition of "overprotective". She let me do my own thing. I still live in the same city as her (about 30 minutes away), and I maybe talk to her once every week to two weeks. That doesn't sound too clingy.

Father absent at birth and emotionally withdrawn.
    Nope. He's been there through it all. He wasn't the best at showing love and whatnot, but in retrospect, I can definitely see him fumbling around TRYING to do so. I certainly felt I could talk to him about whatever.

Parents hates each other, threats are commons, ends up divorcing.
    They're still together. I can recall maybe two "fights" (in a non-physical way) ever. They celebrate 48 years together in a few months.

Parents go back together for us after a while and ends up "divorcing" again after 1 or 2 years.
    Nope.

From a very young age (5-10yo), father always upset never satisfied with anything i do. Get mad easily and never EVER teach me anything so i ends up spending time with my mother, sitting next to her when she apply makeup, listening to her music, watching TV shows with her.
    I have a vague feeling that my father would've liked a sports-loving kid. But I also think when he was what I was like, he (metaphorically) dropped the football and picked up the books. :slight_smile: I never felt like he was disappointed in me.

Ironically, some years later, he got to watch as his child took the field to play professional football during a Denver Bronco-Seattle Seahawk NFL game. The irony? It was my sister - she was playing with her semi-pro women's team as the halftime activity.

Overly macho and scary older brother that always threaten with violence no matter how mundane the problem is.
    My brother bullied me a little while I grew up, but never as a regular thing. Whenever some other kid seemed like they were pushing me around, he'd be the first to step in and try to stop it. At least, he did until I grew taller than him in my high school years. :slight_smile:

I was always something of a misfit. But I never truly felt that that was a major problem. It was just more like "I like this other weird stuff more than the stuff other people like." So I ended up spending a lot of time alone.

I did find "girl stuff" interesting. Not to the exclusion of "boy stuff", but I liked jumprope roughly the same amount as kickball. I enjoyed playing "house" as much as I enjoyed playing superhero. Just different activities I liked for different reasons. No male-on-male experiences in my youth, though.

All of that aside, I learned early on to stop looking for a cause for my sexuality. Because it implies that there's a problem. People don't say "why am I left-handed", and look back at bad experiences with their right hand to figure out "where it all went wrong". They just learn to write without smudging their work, they get a set of green-handled scissors*, and life goes on, you know?

People rarely ask me these days, but whenever somebody DOES ask "Why are you gay?", I always give the same answer - "Because I'm lucky." Hopefully, eventually, you'll feel the same way. :slight_smile:

Lex

* - ...do they still make green-handled scissors for lefties?

[​IMG]

9. Foz

Foz Guest

Correlation doesn't prove causation, when you look at the normal population, then they gay one, childhood experiences were either going to be better or worse. So statistically it's 99% likely it was going to be different from the wider population and just so happens to be worse.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep. Some of these were present. The one about the mother is not applicable. Also, both parents were present and did not divorce. My mom always ran cool. My dad ran hot and cold, from being an ass to being funny and cool. Early sexual experimentation? Yes. Both with a friend from high school, who is a friend to this day and who had a distinctive way with both cigarettes and seduction, as well as the encounter he facilitated with an older guy he had had sex with and who he wanted to go smoke with again ... and I went along for the occasion since I was hanging out with him that day. What happened that day is not exactly easy to forget.

The thing is that, even if these situations happen, you have to have the underlying genetic disposition. There are lots of boys who were raised by single moms, had hostile dads, and/or were even sexually abused who are heterosexual.

I believe it's nature AND nurture. And what happens along the way.

11. Formality

I don't believe the environment is the cause of your sexuality or your gender identity. Rather the opposite. The way you view and interact with the environment is (partially) a product of your gender identity and sexuality. So to make the illusion that it would have anything to do with your environment.

Besides there's a lot more divorce, overprotecting mothers, emotionally withdrawn and absent fathers, youngest brothers, shy people and macho men in the world than there are homosexual people, just saying.

12. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Lets see. . .

Youngest male in family: Technically yes. Only son. Second oldest out of 5.

Over protecting mother: Overbearing if anything.

Father absent at birth and emotionally withdrawn: Nope

Parents hates each other, threats are commons, ends up divorcing. Nope.

Parents go back together for us after a while and ends up "divorcing" again after 1 or 2 years: N/A

From a very young age (5-10yo), father always upset never satisfied with anything i do: Nope

Overly macho and scary older brother that always threaten with violence no matter how mundane the problem is: N/A

Very shy, not very confidant got treated differently by peers in early childhood: Yep.

Not boyish enough to play dodgeball with the boy but no interest in girls activities: I played football/baseball for a while; but not because I was interested now that I think about it. Just something I did. . .

Got "seduced": Was never sexually abused.

13. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Low confidence would almost surely be a result of homosexuality and not the other way around. The rest are hit or miss. Still interesting though... Interesting enough for me to talk to strangers on the Internet about it! Nice thread!

14. guitar

Youngest male in family: Nope, oldest with one younger brother

Over protecting mother: Kind of. Protecting, but not overly protective to where I couldn't do anything fun. I guess a better term would be "involved?"

Father absent at birth and emotionally withdrawn: Nope

Parents hates each other, threats are commons, ends up divorcing. Nope.

From a very young age (5-10yo), father always upset never satisfied with anything i do: Nope

Very shy, not very confidant got treated differently by peers in early childhood: Not really. I was kind of a regular kid with friends and played sports and stuff. Certainly wasn't mr popular, but I wasn't lonely either.

Not boyish enough to play dodgeball with the boy but no interest in girls activities: I played hockey and soccer for a while; as a lad I was a fanatic about hockey - stats, players. Now I might catch the odd game but it's not something I actively seek out.

Got "seduced": Was never sexually abused.

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can check the last 2 but I wasn't "seduced" but I remember at a young age doing "some" other things naked.

16. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is true, Andrew. I do remember coming close to a dry orgasm when I was like 7 or 8. I was rubbing against the bath mat; it was more curiosity than anything.

17. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes to everything except that I'm the older brother of my parents' two kids and my brother's not overly macho. Everything else is about spot on.

18. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    None of these apply to me.

19. MetalRice

While I don't really believe that nature has a great deal to do with one's sexuality; I'll play along.

Youngest male in family
    I technically was until my nephew was born a few years back, but check.

Over protecting mother
    Check, but because of my health problems

I'm kind of shy, but I never went to school nor have I ever had friends; so no and yes

Uncheck for everything else.

20. Ogmig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow you guys are great. Nice posts.

I would agree homosexuality increase the odds of being insecure. Just like many things on my list.

It would also seems most of us felt a bit different from our peer at young age (or my whole life in my case :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) which i guess is pretty normal since i am pretty sure i had some kind of libido in elementary school.

Apparently the whole father/mother/siblings thing seems hit or miss. I am happy to learn that a lot of you had normal parents.

The idea that your environment could shape your sexuality is kind of new to me as i always assumed it was my basic instinct and not something i was shaped into.

So far the only thing i have in common with every gay men i met is being overly rational/critic and perfectionism. Not just about technical stuff but emotions and self-reflection as well. I guess this is the result of being very emphatic and being in a society that we're forced to challenge, else we would just hate ourselves. Maybe if being gay was socially superior i would had been shallow and less rational.

Anyway, i did not expect so many answers! Next time i feel like talking about human nature and philosophy i won't hesitate to ask you guys =p.