1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your style evolution

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by XenaxGabby, May 20, 2015.

1. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In what ways has your style changed in regards to clothing and accessories from when you were a kid/teen to now?

I was all about dresses: frilly dresses, buttoned dresses, sun dresses, jean dresses, you name it. I even wore them in the winter with pants underneath. I loved wearing earrings too having had my ears pierced at six months old. Anything pink was a must. I started wearing make up at twelve.

As a teenager I wore skirts sometimes but mainly pants, blouses, and shirts. I became very insecure about my body hence the covering clothes.

Now I mostly wear what I wore as a teenager except more skirts as I finally feel comfortable in my body. I stopped wearing makeup two years ago (except for lip gloss) and love it! It's so freeing. I always felt fake. I stopped wearing earrings around the same time I stopped the make up. I began thinking how weird it was to stick metal through my body for the sake of fashion.

The last time I wore a dress was three years ago and I felt really uncomfortable. I think it's because the majority of them are "sexy" and meant show a lot of skin, which I don't like. With skirts I always wear tights. I don't wear high heels because they are so uncomfortable! I wear nice flats for work and Sketchers the rest of the time. I really like wearing necklaces and can't leave the house without a shot of perfume.

What's your style story?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've dressed like a preteen boy pretty consistently throughout my life. Only way I've upgraded is to get into button-downs and V-necks when I need to look a bit nicer. Also I definitely had a waistcoats all the time phase.

3. AlamoCity

Was basically raised sort of "preppy" (God, I hate that term :lol:slight_smile:. I even have my seersucker jacket and navy pants from when I was a little bow, haha. I did wear a lot of tshirts in elementary school, though.

In middle and high school I was mostly again using khaki shorts and pants and polo shirts. There was a brief period in high school where I went and wore polos and cargos from Abercrombie/Hollister/American Eagle.

In college I did wear a bit more of jeans/pearl snap shirts/ and cowboy boots, along with khakis and polos. Now, I'm back again to khakis and polos and oxford shirts, but with a lot more color.

Also, for more formal clothes, I have switched from just regular ties to ties and bowties. My dad has worn bowties and regular ties his whole life, but I didn't like bowties because of the "nerdy-ness" and "Dr. Who" association, but I got over them.

Posted some pics of my closet, haha. I do have a small obsession with Vineyard Vines and Brooks Brothers ties :lol:. On the last pic, shorts are on the left, pants on the right.

Attached Files:

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's like Christmas in your closet, AlamoCity!

Lol.

5. ms24601

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It was and still is boring, style has never been my strongest suit and I don't think it will ever be as I don't really care about it. The only significant change I can think of happened when I started taking ballet lessons a few years ago and fell in love with tights (I never cared about them before), since then I'll find any excuse to wear them which caused me to wear dresses more often, I only like to wear them occasionally though.

6. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A rainbow Christmas:slight_smile:

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My style has been consistent, and I only looked ultra preppy because I was shit out of luck with my clothing options for school; which didn't take kindly to black on black--which makes up 60% of my wardrobe.

8. still ill

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Throughout high school I was obsessed with dressing like a 70's school girl and then an 80's school girl. I used to love colors, weird patterns/shapes and feminine style clothing.

Once I turned 15 I started wearing anything black and I continue to wear 90% black and some dark shades of purple, green, red, orange, etc. I feel less comfortable wearing skirts now and I just wear skinny jeans and usually t-shirts or button downs over blouses.

9. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Middle School: Skater kid, mixed in with occasional preppy clothing.
    Freshman year and Sophomore year of high school: American Eagle style preppy
    Junior year of high school to Freshman year of college: T shirt and Jeans kinda guy.
    Sophomore year of college-Current: Fraternity-style preppy/Southern preppy.

I've been all over the place, as you can see.

10. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    In my high school and college years I was a stupid scene kid with jet-black hair, black nail polish, way too much eyeliner, a nosering, etc. The ONLY things I still wear from that unfortunate era are the sexy black platform boots. I have one pair that I bought because it looked like the boots Kate Beckinsale wore in one of the Underworld movies, and I still love those boots. :slight_smile:

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Damn. Is it any wonder people consult with you? Just amazing.

I used to have more striped polo shirts, more checked shirts, and some brighter but not too bright colors.

I've even toned that down to blues, tans, dark greens, and dark reds. My casual apparel is almost boring and won't easily go out of my style. I'd say the few suits, shirts, and ties I own are also timeless. I am sorely lacking for any kind of in-between wardrobe.

I prefer to live in jeans, a colored or print t-shirt, and flip flops or tennis shoes. No fuss, no muss.

12. Jellal

I used to wear shorts almost exclusively. I prefer longer pants these days.

13. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arfff

Cant remember much of my style from my 1st to 6th grade... brobably because -again- my parents pick the clothes and i just wore them

from 7th grade to around 10th grade i usually wore baggy jeans with waist size 2 inch larger than my actual size, and oversize shirt and jacket . 7th grade : My size that time XS but i wore L and during my 10th grade my size was S but i still wore L. (Shoes preferences : Basketball Sneakers )

11th and 12th grade i start change my pants style to short rise regular fit denim or carpenter shorts, but still with waist size 1 inch larger than my actual size. Still using oversize shirt like when i was on my 10th grade but i stop using jackets. (Accessories : Sport Watch, Shoes preferences : Running Sneakers )

Pre-Med i switch the style(again) due to faculty regulation. I wore short rise slim fit chino's this time with my actual waist size with slightly larger button down or polo shirt ( actual size S, worn size M ).
    When i hang out i prefer slim fit denim with slightly larger shirt
    (Accessories : Military style Watch (left hand) and Chain Bracelets(right hand), Shoes preferences : Casual Shoes or Canvas Sneakers )

Med-School (last 10 weeks) this time i'm getting more confident due to i lost a lot of body fat. I wore exactly the same style like when i'm on pre-med except now i wear Slim Fit or Athletic Fit Button down or Polo shirt with my actual size to fit me better.
    When i hang out i prefer using shirt rise slim fit denim or chino shorts combined with Sleeveless undershirt or Tight shirt
    (Accessories : Military style watch (left hand), Chain dog collar with open padlock and leather bracelets (right hand), Shoes preferences : Casual Shoes or Canvas Sneakers )

14. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was all about dresses as a kid too xD and I loved pink and yellow things. This was until I was about 8, then I started getting really into jeans and strangely colourful pants and stuff. At 12 or so I was wearing pretty much just jeans, with this and that thrown in which my mother used to make me wear from time to time, sometimes skirts and things, but once I was 14 or so I started feeling really really insecure about my body and only wore jeans and XXXL tshirts (the size I normally wear now is medium) and I was really awkward about wearing anything that showed my body, really. And I was like that for quite a few years. Gradually I started wearing smaller shirts, though I usually wear just medium or large right now, small does fit me, kind of, but I still don't like shirts being too tight or showy so I never wear them. If I have to go to anything formal, I wear button-down shirts or else I wear ethnic clothes, which are actually quite nice on the not-too-tight-and-showy front. I've never pierced my ears though. My mother didn't do it to me as a baby, which is traditional, because she thought it should be my choice. And that is some scary shit.

15. TheStormInside

I've always been the type to pick one sort of thing, buy a lot of that thing, and wear it until it wore out. As a kid I had a rough time, I think I may have some sensory issues and would have a lot of issues wearing anything but stretch pants at that age. In Jr. High I graduated to jeans and baggy animal t-shirts (awful, but hey, it was the 90s). High School I went through a vaguely goth phase and wore a lot of dark t-shirts from Hot Topic. College sort of continued that trend, but I finally started buying pants that fit me properly, and branched out into Threadless t-shirts. Occasionally I'd dress up in a skirt or dress. Slowly I've been trying to improve my style, trying to buy more adult looking tops and less graphic tees, and wear skirts and dresses more often. It helps that I have a bit more confidence about my body now, and also that I'm able to find quirky but "grown up" clothes. I may have graduated from Threadless to Modcloth most recently, though budgetary restraints do slow my progress.

---------- Post added 21st May 2015 at 07:37 AM ----------

I was just the same at that age! I would buy baggy pants, or even go to the boy's section sometimes for looser fitting longer shorts. The t-shirts were always at least two sizes too big.

#15 TheStormInside, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  16. SilkySilhouette

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My style evolution?
    I used to not care about style, and now I do. This is my evolution, lol

17. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In primary school I wore sweatpants and hoodies a lot. When I got to secondary school it was more trousers and t shirts and still hoodies, later on in high school it was mainly black skinny jeans, band shirts, button ups and flannel, and boots.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Don't be modest now. You had to buy bigger clothes to hold all that swag, didn't you?

<3

19. TheStormInside

Ha, you got me, Kaiser. My level awesome could not be contained by the size of a small t-shirt :icon_razz .

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wore baggy, 2001 style jeans and khakis when I was 10-12, and long-sleeve shirts. Then I started wearing chinos during high school and switched to t shirts. Then around 16 I started wearing skinny jeans and t shirts that were tighter fighting to show off my raging pec development. Recently I've developed a fondness for leather jackets and plaid shirts.

More or less the same as Silky - never cared about fashion but now I do. Can't believe how badly I used to dress.

#20 imnotreallysure, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015