1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A time machine inside another time machine...what would happen? :V

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Straight ally, May 22, 2015.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    This a semi serious semi fun question

What would happen if you where i side a time machine, and that time machine was inside another time machine in this scenarios? :

A) the inner time machine is set to travel to the past, and the outer one to the future
    B) inner to future, outer to past
    C) both to future
    D) both to past

Note: they are activated at the same time.

2. confuseddreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm scratching my head at the moment.

....or would you just stay where you are, cancelling each other out?

....or would it create a paradox?

:confused:

3. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Time machines travel forward and backward in time. But if you simply replace the word "time" with "space", then it's easy to imagine the answer. An example of a space machine is a car or a boat. What happens when you drive a car (forwards or backwards) on a moving boat? The car will fall off the boat, meaning the two space machines will eventually move apart unless there is something (a wall, for example), that prevents this. Their respective speeds will depend on which machine has greater inertia and conservation of momentum will determine the final speeds of the two machines after they separate or collide and stick together.

4. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Straight ally

Now im having some difficulties visualizing how would they separate.

6. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that the one inside would go back in time to a point either before it was inside the other, or at least inside but before it went back.
    the other would go forward but would end up in a place without the one inside of it because the one inside would have left at the point that it jumped forward.

7. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In a word... SHENANIGANS!! ;D

But honestly, if they both had different destinations in time I'd guess they'd end up separating from each other, as long as the machines aren't directly linked to each other they shouldn't disrupt one another. It's true that initially the inner machine would be the passenger to the outer however once it went to a different time it would no longer be bound to it... Theoretically that is~ xD

8. Sevan

It's near impossible to legitimately start something at the exact same time. But either way, I think that no matter what you did, the same result would occur.

Let's assume that the time machine (each one) is independent of temporal law. It has to be, right? In order to travel back or forth in time and remain intact. Time doesn't affect the machine the same way. So, for now, I'll call the outer machine M1 and the inner machine M2.

Each one is independent of time and space, correct? So, for scenario A, M1 is a machine altering the time of the surroundings it is in, which in this case means the future. So, M1 is now a machine in the future. M2, however, is a machine that is set to travel to the past. My theory is that M2 would affect M1, but not the exterior surroundings.
    M2 is attempting to change its surroundings as well, but with the idea that time machines are independent to time and space means that anything outside of M1 would be unaffected. M2's surroundings are M1, if this makes any sense to anyone.

Basically, as M1 travels to the future, M2 attempts to change its surroundings (which is M1) and send it to the past. As a result, you will wind up somewhere in the future with no time machine, because M1's time was reversed back to a certain year (and the interior of M1 is independent of the exterior) when, perhaps, M1 was still in construction or not even built.

For scenario B, you would wind up in the past because of M1 with no time machine because M2 accelerated the decay of M1 and is independent of the exterior of the machine.

For scenario C, in the future by M1, decayed by M2.

For scenario D, in the past by M1, nonexistent by M2.

As a general rule, if you have to put a time machine in your time machine, don't use it.

9. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice theory but,
    I watched all of the Netflix reruns of Quantum leap AND Sliders.
    I think this pretty much makes me an expert on time/space continuence and since I threw in some extra credit courses with Star Trek, the original and Voyager, I am also qualified to speak on the temporal laws regarding the impacts of sucn anomolies

I suspect that after considering my vast qualifications in this matter you will certainly agree that my assumptions are without a doubt the closest to be correct that we can come to.

10. Sevan

Now now, I watched Quantum Leap as well, have seen Looper and Inception more times than I can count and have watched the Star Trek movies (at least, lol) and every Doctor Who episode available. I believe this makes me not only an expert in temporal law, but also in paradoxes. As a matter of fact, I have a Doctorate in Time and Relative Dimension in Space.

As such, I say my qualifications match yours, and that our theories are equally credible. :thumbsup:

11. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Very impressive
    I would entertain the thought of joining our combined knowlege and working on a project I have come up with, You see, I have also studied extensivly under Robert Zemeckis, I completed two of his complex courses, Back to the Future, and Back to the Future 2,
    My thoughts are to convert a Yugo into a time machine.
    I want to use the Yugo so you can actually move slow enough through time to see where you are at during the trip instead of just popping up in your new location.

12. Foz

Foz Guest

Time machines (in theory) operate outwith what we know of space/time and as such would not be fixed objects. So each would arrive at their chosen destinations.

13. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Time travel to the past is problematic because it introduces paradoxes. So, it's not clear how to visualize these scenarios unless you make some assumption on how the time travel paradoxes are resolved. For example, we would need to know whether time travel would involve parallel universes or not. However, for scenario C, in which both time machines travel to the future, the answer is already known.

Since time naturally has a forward direction and flow, any object can be considered to be a future-travelling time machine. To simplify the visualization, take the outer time machine to be a large cardboard box that is at rest with respect to the earth. And suppose that inside the cardboard box is a machine that oscillates back and forth at relativistic speeds. This rapidly accelerating machine follows a shorter path through space-time, and its clock will run slower than a clock in the reference frame of the cardboard box. This phenomenon is described by the "Twin Paradox". In a sense, the oscillating machine is also a forward-moving time machine, but it moves through time at a much faster rate with respect to the reference frame of the earth. The result is that the two machines become separated in time, which can be measured by bringing their clocks to the same location and then comparing the difference in times.

#13 Blackbirdz, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
  14. Sevan

An interesting quandary indeed, I remember taking Zemeckis primary course you have listed there. Perhaps we can put together a think tank? Propose ideas? No matter where this goes, it can be assured it will be an Excellent Adventure.

I do prefer sightseeing rather than immediate time travel. I agree with your proposal to use a Yugo in this sense. Though I think we may require back-up machines. It's clear ours won't last long.

15. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They did this in Primer. Ever seen that movie?

16. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    May I recommend a Trabant as the vehicle of choice? It may be slightly more reliable than the humble Yugo, and spare parts are much more readily available.

17. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A paradox would happen, because we don't have physics that can deal with time travel.

18. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    The physics are there, we just have yet to discover them.
    Just like the physics required for space flight. Not there in the 1500s.

19. Straight ally

Interesting analysis!

I made some drawings to better vidualize what would happen. I also made the following assumptions:

Inside m1 there is a acalendar
    Outside m1 but inside m2 there is anothe rcalendar and outside m2 there is a third calendar.

The inner machine (m2) is activsted on january 1 of the. 2015. At this point all calendards are set at january 1.

M2 is set to travel 1 year into the future, but this will take 2 days inside m2, this mean that when the calendar inside M2 is on january 3 of 2015, a year will pass outside(jaunary 1 2016). If m1 where to be left off this would mean both the calendar on m1 and the outsid one will be on january 1 of 2016 after the calendar on m2 has reached january 3 of. 2015.

But this is not what happens, there is a guy inside m2 , piloitng it, but there is also a guy on m1. Half a year after(june 1 of2015 on m1 and its surroundings, january 2 of. 2015 inside m2) the m2 guy begun his travel into the future, the guy on m1 decided to activate m1, setting it to travel into the past at the rate of half a year to the past outside m1 per each day inside m1, he also decides that he will stop travelling on january 1 of 2016, with is the day in which he will see m2 guy coming outside m2. This means is half a year of him traveling with is approximately 180 days, this at a rate of 0.5 years per day equals. 90 years to the past.

The result of all this is that by the moments both machine are off, the calendar inside m2 will be on january. 3 of the 2015, the one on m1 will be on january 1 of thr 2016 and the one outside m1 and all calendards on the world will be set on january 1 of 1925 (approximately).

20. MORTAL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just for fun...

The inner time machine would move towards point x in the future parallel to moving towards point y in the past because it responds to the surrounding time, i.e. as the outer time machine is progressing to the future, the inner time machine is reacting and counteracting the progressed time by travelling in to its respective time in the past. So when they reach their respective times, they'll be one in two times, i.e. in the past but in the future lol