1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All gender clothing online?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sevan, May 22, 2015.

1. Sevan

Hi! I don't know if anyone has posted about this sort of thing, but here goes.

I was browsing online and reading some articles when I stumbled upon this online shop. It's called Future is the Future, and considers itself "secondhand and small-run for all genders". I thought this was interesting (and wonderful) and began to peer through the stock. Where possible, the owner of the shop uses multiple models of differing gender to display the same piece of clothing, giving you an idea of how it would look regardless of your gender or helping you with body type.
    It has it in the sizes it comes labeled in (men's M women's L) and can also be checked out via measurements.
    Personally, I think it's a very good idea. And I was curious if y'all thought this is something you'd want to see in more popular online shops.

What stores would you like to see it in? Do you think it should eliminate gender altogether, or should there be a neutral addition to gender-defined clothing? Do you think there's a way to do this in actual stores, not just online? What do you think about this in general? :eusa_danc

Here's the shop link if you want to check it out: FUTURE IS THE FUTURE

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoops, my hand slipped a lot and it looks like I bookmarked it.

3. Sarcastic Luck

...I have yet to understand why these specialty shops have to have such hideous clothing. Is it too much to ask for to have a shop that doesn't carry stuff that looks like it came out of the 70s/80s? I don't want "vintage".

4. Sevan

I know what you mean. But this shop isn't stocking clothes that look like they're from the era. They are from the era. They're someone that goes to thrift shops and picks the higher quality, good condition clothing to sell online.

But the idea is that this person is selling clothing regardless of the gender constraints against it. Where would you prefer to see that change?

5. Sarcastic Luck

Clothes don't have a gender. There's nothing stopping a man from wearing a dress except societal expectation and gender role norms.

6. Sevan

Yes, and it's great that you think that. I agree with you. Most retail stores, however, do not. I'm not saying clothes have a gender. The questions are:

Do you think more online stores should adopt this gender neutral approach?
    Do you think it would be easier to shop across gender boundaries if clothes weren't separated by gender?
    Do you think shops should show models of differing gender identity wearing the same piece of clothing?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying clothes are exclusive to the gender they are designed for, or that they have gender to begin with. But online shops separate the clothes by gender, and sometimes that makes it harder to shop for them. This shop I've put up is breaking that norm. This has nothing to do with what you choose to wear, but instead how you buy it.

7. Sarcastic Luck

I rarely, if ever, buy from online shops. Given my odd sizing, I need to try the clothes on. So, I'm honestly indifferent.
    It doesn't matter to me in the least bit what part of the store the clothes are in. If I like it, I'll buy it, regardless of which section it's in.
    I don't pay a lick of attention to who's modeling the clothes. 90% of the models don't have my build, so that's useless to me. I buy based on if I like the article of clothing, not based on the model.

8. Sevan

Well, that's good. It's great that you can do that, but some people are less comfortable shopping in clothing areas outside of the gender they identify. Like me, I don't feel very comfortable shopping in either the men's or women's section, even online.

I was just curious as to what people thought in regards to it. I guess if you're indifferent, you're indifferent.

9. ToneDef

ToneDef Guest

Well, having shopped at an unfamiliar, local Walmart early in the morning for makeup and girls clothes, noticing the looks I got was a little annoying. I'm sure they knew. I had a hand basket full of nothing but girls items. The only thing stopping me from leaving was the fact that no one knew me and I didn't know them, therefore it didn't matter. I couldn't try on the clothes I wanted to, but it was my first time in a pretty public place, so I didn't feel like doing that. Buying clothes blindly is hard, especially when you aren't familiar with other gender sizes. Men and women are made differently so perhaps keep different sections for literal genders separate but the material itself shouldn't be gender specific. Make all t-shirts, pants/dresses, undergarments, etc the same for everyone. I always see a lot of cute things in the ladies section I would prefer to wear but I don't feel comfortable trying it on because of looks and the amount of time it would take to find something that fit my body right that's made for another body type far off from mine. I'm all for wearing and being whoever you want to be, but for me personally, I can't just wear anything. I want it to compliment my body and style, so I want to feel like it was made for me.