1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cemeteries

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, May 22, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok I admit it I love cemeteries. I love the history, reading the names, walking through my ancestral plots and this weekend I am probably going to to do it again. I have not done it in two years and I always find a new relative every time I go. So I want to hear your thoughts on cemeteries yeah cemeteries.

Also for the fun of it what would be your ideal gravesite, what would it say and where is a cool place you would want to be buried or cremated. I would want even though it is expensive be buried a mausoleum with the my last name in big stone letters on top but I will be happy with a simple grave marker that acknowledges my once presence on earth.

2. badluckfairy

I also like walking around cemeteries. They are really peaceful and I like the look of gravestones. I like to wonder who the people were and the lives they lived, what did they look like and what the world was like when they were alive.

3. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    No matter what people say they think of them, they are lying, everyone is just dying to get in.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't mind being buried in the cemetery in my hometown, as it overlooks a lake and is filled with Civil War vets. It even has Civil War cannons as a memorial to those from my hometown that died in war. It's so picturesque in the fall with all the colors.

5. Sevan

I love cemeteries! I actually grew up next to one when I was a kid, and used to go for walks. The fence that separated our property from the cemetery itself was down, so it was fun to go at night.

There was this one grave, Dr. Felix Hamburger. I will never forget.

One of my favorite things to see is how they treat the dead in other countries. For example, when I was in Portugal, I was stunned to see that the cemetery I went to (visiting a passed away relative) was completely made of stone. People are constantly keeping the graves clean and well tended. It's so different from in the states, where you've got grass plots.

*Badum tsss*

6. Psaurus918

You ever try shading? I think that's what it's called. Where you take a piece of paper and lay it over a gravestone and lightly go over it with a charcoal crayon.

I did it in art class in elementary school

7. Sevan

I think it was stone rubbing? I remember doing that forever ago in school. We used charcoal, though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. MORTAL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's refreshing to know that someone has a genuine interest in the history of the people who rest and not just a macabre fascination with the fact that there are decaying organisms in the ground.

---------- Post added 22nd May 2015 at 10:02 AM ----------

This guy lol :thumbsup:

9. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have always found cemeteries fascinating, too. Often they are peaceful refuges in the middle of cities. That said, some cemeteries (like the Brompton Cemetery in London) where well known cottaging locations back in the day. I remember walking through the Brompton Cemetery on a Saturday afternoon in the early 90s, and there were guys prowling round everywhere. It could not have been more blatant.

10. HugasaurusRex

I love walking in graveyards. I find them peaceful. And being someone who loves names and history, I find myself spending hours just walking around reading the headstones. Though I always end up leaving in tears as when I see a child's or baby's grave I always end up crying.

11. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always have mixed feelings about cemeteries.... they can be quite relaxing, but I think it's a shame that in most countries they inject toxic chemicals into corpses before burial.... that cannot be good for the environment. I understand some places now have eco friendly cemeteries where only natural corpses ( i.e. without embalming chemicals) can be buried. Personally, there is no way in hell I will be buried. Any recyclable organs can be harvested to give someone else a second chance, and the rest is being cremated and scattered in the wilderness.

12. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

I'm not particularly fond of them, but the bigger cemetery in the district I live has always been a peaceful place. I remember, sometimes I used to go there because it was always silent, and it emanated a mysterious, peaceful 'energy' that was comforting in a way. And of course it has always been full of stray cats, and sometimes they let me pet them. :slight_smile:

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like to do that too. :slight_smile: