1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reincarnation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, May 22, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There's two parts to this.

Part I:
    Do you believe in reincarnation? If not, do you think it could be possible?

Part II:
    What is the best thing you could be reincarnated as?
    What is the worst thing you could be reincarnated as?

Answer both or the other.

As usual, witty and funny are welcomed.

2. CyanChachki

I believe in reincarnation. Part of me believes that we'll be reincarnated into something suiting our past life. So for example, if you where a really good person, you get to be a person again. If you where bad, you get to be something like a badger, something lower on the food chain.. I suppose I should say. The other part of me believes that we'll be reincarnated into the grass, water, trees or anything having to do with the Earth and we'll have to work our way up to the human gene again.

Best thing to be reincarnated as, would hope to be a human again.. that would be mine.

Worst thing to be reincarnated as would be a germ or a bug.. they have short lives.

3. HugasaurusRex

I am an optimist in life and a pessimist in death..When I die, that's it, end of. Gone.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You're no fun! =P

5. Yosia

But if you have a short life, then you will reincarnate again in less time than say, if you were born a turtle. ^^

6. Spacewalker

That's sth I've been thinking about for a long time but didn't really seem to find an answer for myself.
    My scientific side says no ofc not, how should that work.
    But then there's this other side that sometimes thinks that persons themselves can be reincarnated. That their spirit finds another, a new body after death.
    So I'm kind of torn.

7. Foz

Foz Guest

But what if you were the pneumonia who got to kill someone like Hitler? Surely you'd be in line for a good reincarnation then? :lol:

But no, I don't believe in any of that religious nonsense. It's a nice thought for the weak but just enjoy your time while you're here.

8. LD579

9. Spacewalker

Oh dear lord.
    I'm not religious but I don't think that 'for the weak' fits here.

10. Jellal

I don't believe in reincarnation. I do think that it's possible. I guess anything's possible, really. Exactly how it would work, that's anyone's guess. I personally would find it difficult to assign a moral standing to every possible life-form. Then again, I'm not a god.

The best thing to be reincarnated as would be a demigod, I believe. According to the principles of reincarnation that I've read about, the "best" possible outcome is to escape the cycle of reincarnation through enlightenment. Because reincarnation is cyclical, gods who stand at the top of the spectrum have nowhere to go but down when they "die." That's why being a demigod is best, in my opinion. As a semi-divine being you experience the world on a higher level than humanity, and you don't reap the penalty of reincarnation that affects the gods who stand at the top of the cycle. Personally I don't see much of a point in enlightenment if it's eternal nothingness, absence of experiencing the world—so the ideal position for someone like me would be existing on a higher level of humanity that's not quite god-like. Basically, being a demigod is how I'd play my cards right.

The worst thing to be reincarnated as? Probably as an animal being used as a test subject getting injected with all kinds of nasty shit for the sake of human science.

11. The Wallflower

Being the agnostic that I am, I don't reject nor accept the possibility of reincarnation.

However, I have thought about it for a while.

Best thing= A Panda. Fluffy as f*ck and I get to live such a simple life!

Worst thing= bugs/germs, as stated above.

''Yay! I'm alive!...

Nope dead.''

But when you think about it, There are lots of really horrible things you could be reincarnated as...

12. Foz

Foz Guest

Religion exists to provide metaphors to the weak and to distract them from the fact that life isn't very nice. I take the black and white approach to life.

---------- Post added 23rd May 2015 at 01:43 AM ----------

It's a well established Freudian concept whereby religion is explained as being based on the infantile need for a powerful father figure.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have as a kid, but that was when I thought everyone died at 100. Hey, I was six.

These days, not really. I do have moments where I feel like being trans is a punishment for something I may have done in a past life, but it's a neat concept regardless. My best outcome...I don't know. Maybe as a lion, a deadly strain of some bacteria, or a doppelganger of Macaulay Culkin. My worst outcome would be coming back as something like an insect who gets its head ripped off by a mate. The most ironic would be coming back as a sea creature or a bird, being terrified of water and flying.

#13 Daydreamer1, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
  14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But my mommy told me Jesus loves me

15. LD579

Did you not read what I had linked to? Here, let's try again.

Freud said many things. What you're talking about is a potential explanation for the existence of religion. It can't be proven and it should not, in a safe space, be used to dismissively quantify all religious people as weak.

16. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm on the fence about whether I believe in it but I think it sounds really cool. I would want to come back as a pink Quartz crystal, all pretty and shiny, and then I wouldn't have to worry about dying again because I'd be a rock! It's a win-win for me:slight_smile:

17. Foz

Foz Guest

Well Jesus was a zombie and zombie's aren't capable of love :lol:

18. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really believe in reincarnation but I don't really disbelieve in it either.

I would want to reincarnated as another person. (A person fairly well off, not like a homeless person or something.) I wouldn't want to be something like, perhaps, a housefly, because then everyone would be plotting to kill me. :lol:

19. Foz

Foz Guest

So can you give me one reason for the functional purpose of religion that no other body is capable of providing.

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I believe you go wherever you want.