1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feminism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sek, May 23, 2015.

?

Do you support feminism?

1. Yes

65 vote(s)
    82.3%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    17.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sek

Sek

I was recently having a discussion with a straight white male who criticised me for being a feminist. I support any opinion that one chooses as long as it is from a place of knowledge but I did not feel like his belief came from that.

However, it really raised issues for me. Not only do I support feminism for women, but I support it for men. I think there is an awful stigma attached with the word 'feminist' and the word is often incorrectly equated with misandrist.

After that discussion I've been asking around to try to discover a consensus on whether feminism is supported or not. So, do you support feminism? Bonus points to you for explaining why/why not. :thumbsup:

2. Simple Thoughts

Why is that relevant? Just curious.

To your question:

No, I don't support feminism. Why?

They have an off the wall fringe group of lunatic misandrist, and unlike Christianity who at least tries to denounce their crazies and call them out feminists accept their lunatics and just try to quietly sweep them under the rug ( and in some cases ) actively defend them when they are clearly just insane...Has a single feminist called out how terrible "National Castration Day" is? Seriously...any? I doubt it.

3. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

Before i answer i would like to ask a question,

I googled and

And i didn't quite understand your phrase that you support feminism for men?
    wasn't feminism supposed to promote equality for woman?? then what do you mean by support it for men???

4. Sek

Sek

What you have described are female supremacists. National Castration Day was a ridiculous idea that cannot be taken seriously and has been rejected by many feminists.

Men also benefit from feminism. Firstly, women receiving fairer treatment should be something all men care about since we have women that we care about. Secondly, part of feminism is about reducing the imposition of gender roles and expectations in society. Women should not be expected to be subservient homemakers, and men should not be expected to be emotionless breadwinners. Men are four to five times more likely than women to commit suicide because they aren't taught to be emotionally expressive - it's either lose masculinity or end your life, and unfortunately some still deem it better to end their lives.

Modern feminism is a gender equality movement, it is not just about women.

#4 Sek, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
  5. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Meh. This is just going to end up being a semantic debate about what "feminism" means. I feel like this has been asked many times before.

I support equal rights for both genders. If you want to call me a "feminist" because of that, then okay.

Supporting equal rights means: I don't think any gender deserves special treatment, I don't think "all men" are to blame for rape, I don't think Tumblr feminists are great people...blah blah. I just wish we could support equal rights without all the negative connotations, extremists, and overreactions.

6. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I support feminism, as I think women in general still have to face some disadvantages that men don't, but I find some factions of the movement extremely radical, hateful and unable to listen. Such attitude only makes people dislike the movement especially because moderate feminists rarely denounce the most radical ones, like Simple Thoughts said.

Recently in our Congress one distasteful congresswoman didn't let a congressman speak when it was his turn, shutting his mouth with her hand. The congressman then pushed her arm so he could finish speaking. Well that was enough for her and all her stupid fans to call him an opressive white male that doesn't wanna give voice to women. Ridiculous, really.

#6 MCairo, May 23, 2015
  7. candyjiru

I was raised that women and men were equal in different ways... if you've ever seen 50s/60s sitcoms, that was my family... really stuck in the past, but I liked it. I am the least likely person to be called a "feminist" and am usually told I am too conservative (despite my being the most liberal person in my immediate family, haha), but honestly...

feminism means women are equal to men... that's it. If someone doesn't believe this... well, that's awkward :/ It's not about who is better... we are all equal on a human level, and our actions determine our value from there, imho

8. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends. I tend not to like it very much because many of the members are really, really fanatic, but others have really nice ideas. So, it depends.

And, i agree with Simple Thoughts on...

9. Simple Thoughts

They call themselves feminists and no one seems to mind it much. That's kinda my point. I know most reasonable and level-headed people know it's a terrible idea and shouldn't be allowed to happen. I'm saying that just like the fringe elements of Christianity it needs to be addressed and dealt with because for a lot of people ( myself included ) it's a huge turn off to the movement. Especially when you get into the concepts of privilege and intersectionality theory which both boil down to "If they have a penis, aren't gay, and have white skin they are bad people"

If Modern Feminism is a gender equality movement now why keep the title? Personally I consider myself more of an egalitarian or a humanist. Also, why do we even need a label in the first place?

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Am I missing any well-published protest or lobbying actions of the egalitarians or humanists? I have the perception that they only exist on the internet, and I was hoping to be disabused of the notion.

11. HugasaurusRex

No I do not. I believe in equal rights for people. Race/gender/sexuality means nothings. Just treat everyone the same.
    But, if we are going to talk about women being equal to men, then I will ask: Why when a woman hits a man is there no big deal, yet when it is the other way around it is always jumped upon and the guy is a dick, an abuser, a woman beater ect?
    As for "feminist/ism" There is far too much negative stigma along with it now for it to be taken any other way than what the "stereotype" says it is.
    I for example do not give a damn what or who someone is. I will treat a male just the same as I will a female. And they ALL get called hun or sweetie. :grin:

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not any more.

I used to. I believe in the same pay for the same work and in similar treatment across the board. Same pay (for the same work ... at large companies, in the public sector, in the professions) has been largely accomplished. That's good. Maybe there's a ways to go in some nooks and crannies.

I no longer support its vigor because it has turned into shitting on men. I've been in the workforce long enough to see it. The schizophrenic manipulation that comes from being allowed to being a bitch on wheels and then turning on a dime to be a damsel in distress is sort of sickening. Make up your mind: shit or get off the pot. I absolutely do not support the direction in how elastic feminism has gotten and how, past the pay and equal job conditions, some more insidious dynamics have taken root.

If you asked me in 2000, I would have said yes.
    Today, in 2015, in its current form, I say no. I am not alone in this belief, either.

#12 Tightrope, May 23, 2015
  13. Simple Thoughts

I couldn't tell you I'm still waiting on #Morefemalesewerworkers and #Letsdosomethingaboutmalesuicide from feminists personally.

Plus just because you haven't heard about something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Did you hear about the feminist group in ( I wanna say it was Canda, but it's been awhile ) who actually lobbied to stop a Male domestic violence shelter from being built?

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's true, but until I can get a citation of it, I have to assume it's not very widespread at all. I've found a lot of humanists, egalitarians and equalists on the internet. I'm sure they have very earnest concerns about the political tactics of some feminists. But I'd like to see them active offline as well.

I would argue that feminists should support the creation of a domestic violence center for anyone.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

No.

And if she don't like it, I'll just shut the kitchen door. Problem solved!

But seriously, I'll just copy and paste this, which compliments TENNYSON's remarks:

16. Sienrar

I think that the word feminism should be abandoned because of the stigma attached to it.

I consider myself an egalitarian, because I think the word better describes my goals regarding gender equality better than feminism.

17. Simple Thoughts

Agreed, but 'should be' and 'are' they aren't exactly the same thing ^^"

Plus like I said earlier there are plenty of lobbies for more women in STEM fields and executive positions, but no push for Sewer workers or other 'gross' jobs that are overwhelming male. When Feminism first started the push was for all jobs ( even the dirty ones ) but now it's all about the cushy nice comfy jobs because feminism is more obsessed with benefits than equality.

Also no one ever mentions the strong lack of male nurses ever...

Feminism can't really say it's about gender equality for both men and women when they do absolutely nothing for men. That's a bad case of actions and words not lining up properly.

18. Gen

Gen

It is obviously a "Yes" from me.
    It is a heavily studied sociological fact that our experiences with prejudice differ based on the demographics we belong to. Naturally, the prejudice that one group might face is different than the prejudice another might face; that is the whole concept of prejudice and inequality. What we are talking about here goes much deeper than that and ties to a concept referred to as intersectionality.

Intersectionality is the way that prejudice manifests itself based on a mixture of factors (racial, sexual, economic, etc).

What this suggests is that a wealthy African American is likely to experience the same prejudice that a middle or lower class African American is.

A homosexual women is going to face misogyny to a different degree than a heterosexual women.

The list goes on. All of the members of a certain demographic might be affected by negative mindsets, but the type of issues that they face and the severity of them often differ based on other factors. Calling attention to intersectionalism is not a matter of saying that a straight Caucasian male cannot understand gender issues enough to have a valid opinion, but it is important to acknowledge the perspective that others are bring to the table rather than acting as though our individual identities do not affect the perspectives that we have on certain issues or our exposure and awareness of different forms of inequality and prejudice.

19. Sarcastic Luck

Nope.

I'm considered a gender traitor for wanting to transition and of course, there's also the "#killallmen" hashtag that's popped up. Many feminists aren't interested inequality. They're interested in spreading hatred, and if a woman doesn't agree with them? They try to shut down her arguements by citing "internalized misogyny".

Feminists want all the equal things that men get, but none of the positives. I've yet to see them want equal prison sentences. If a man gets thrown into jail for a few years for raping someone, a woman should not get a slap on the wrist, community service, and nine months of prison time. She should get the same several years.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you seriously telling me as a programmer who got a degree in computer science and has--for four years--seen what an unwelcoming atmosphere and a culture of patronization and harassment some men can make for women, that our focus on minimizing discrimination and harassment is misplaced?

If that's true, then you have to think that I am a complete and utter moron. If that's true, then I would never have become a feminist at 16, when I fully identified as male, before questioning my gender. You have to think that I was simply wrong about all the research I did, and you have to think I never noticed feminists were supportive of gay and bisexual men.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.