1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think about this commentary/collection of stories?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, May 23, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

Let me start by saying I'd like to keep this civil, and I know it's a touchy subject ( as I've experienced backlash for simliar themed topics in the past ) but I think we're all capable of being mature adults :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrxEnQPgouc

^

So anyways this is a few stories ( and a youtube commentor ) who sorta neat and tidy sum up a good bit of how I feel about current things going on with gender equality movements in the first world ( The third world is a whole separate story ) so I'm curious about what you all think.

I'd also like to tack on that this is a general sweep ( or an attempt ) and I don't necessarily agree with everything stated by this youtuber so don't assume because I'm showing you this everything he says is law to me please :slight_smile:

2. LD579

Heaven forbid that women finally receive "preferential treatment" when men have been receiving it for thousands of years without facing the same scrutiny? Ideally it wouldn't be this way, but it's clear that whatever we're doing to promote gender equality hasn't been working as well as it could be. Women still make less than men, women are still turned down from jobs by virtue of being women, women still face "harmless, "in-the-name-of-lighthearted-fun" kitchen jokes and other terrible subservient stereotypes, still do not have full control over their body... I could go on.

We've made tons of progress towards gender equality (Voting, entrance into the workforce and education systems and professions, media representation), but tons of things are much harder to combat, and tons of things still need to be improved. Taking a definitive stand and theoretically giving them "preferential treatment" would be an interesting way to try to make things equal. I can't say whether it will work or not, but maybe women will finally earn as much as men for the same job? In short, I find it difficult to agree with this youtuber because systemic oppression is very hard to quantify in some aspects and many don't fully grasp the huge effects it can have on an individual, much less an entire group of people.

3. Simple Thoughts

Did you get to the end where 'preferrential treatment' was allowing an unqualified person to become a firefighter who is very likely going to be responsible for someone's death?

Also, the gender pay gap is not a real thing.

The statistic refers to earnings not pay, and when you account for the choices made by men vs. women in the workfield ( from career choice to amount of overtime worked ) the pay gap narrows to the point of vanishing. It's a stastic that's been twisted and molded to fit an agenda, nothing more.