1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your most sentimental things?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HM03, May 24, 2015.

1. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What things do you own that are sentimental to you? What do they remind you of?

2. Spacewalker

Sentimental in a positive or negative way? I'll just take the positive one:wink:
    I have a chain with a turquoise coloured gem. It's such a strong and deep colour everytime I look at it I know everything will be fine. And I get this weird dejavu bc I can't remember where I have it from... so frustrating!!
    I have collected many stones and gems the last years and well every songle one is unique and has its own story. I really like to look through them and remember where I have them from.
    I guess almost every thing I own has some sentimental worth to me bc I'm a very nostalgic person and I like to connect memories with things. So it's hard to choose.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always assumed that people threw stuff out that reminded them of negative memories :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But I guess either or :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Simple Thoughts

I moved back and forth a lot growing up and I typically don't keep many things on me.

I've never really had a 'sentimental' item.

I guess I recently got a stuffed puppy on Valentine's Day that I enjoy snuggling up with at night, but it doesn't really hold a sentimental value so much as a 'It's the closest I'll be for awhile to actually holding my bf" ^^"

5. CyanChachki

Positive: The smell of lilacs and laundry detergent while walking outside in the sun. It reminds me of being at my Aunt's house as a kid and those are the best memories. Being outside in her back yard with the wind blowing. Every time it did, I got a whiff of her lilacs and laundry detergent. It was a very peaceful place to be.

Negative: Walking into my old school. I haven't done it for awhile but I did do it a few times. The school was shut down and turned into a middle school. The only things that changed where the classrooms inside and the lockers where taken out.. so virtually everything else was intact. My niece would have her yearly christmas choir performances and I would go to them. The amount of flash backs I was having, put so much negativity into my life that I couldn't deal with it anymore and I eventually decided to stop going. I felt bad, because I couldn't really explain to my niece why I wasn't going.. she wouldn't understand. She wasn't alive at the time. As mean as it sounds, I value my sanity over a Christmas concert that happens every year.

6. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A zorua origami thing - my girlfriend made this for me before we were dating. It's adorable and reminds me of her, I always keep it on my bedside table.

A promise letter, with my group of friends when I was little. Now, they're all assholes and they're so mean to me...but it brings back good memories...now, it's really hard with them..except my girlfriend, the two of us are still good.

A box filled with notes - me and my (now) girlfriend pass letters during the school day since we rarely see each other. I love looking back on the notes. Actually, she did this code thing, "I really like you, be my girlfriend?" she underlined those words in order on notes for a few weeks. I never noticed it, till she pointed it out a month later while confessing her love to me..

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Gandalf sent me here...

I don't really have anything of tremendous sentimental value, not anymore at least. I used to have a stuffed raccoon that was lost in a move, which would come the closest to fitting this. Everything else I have, while I do like most of it, isn't something that would really affect me on a significant level.

But if I have to choose something, it would be a trapper-keeper (anybody remember these?) filled with various drawings and writings, over a course of several years. There isn't too many, since a lot of my stuff was typically confiscated by authority figures. But what I do have, is interesting and does allow me to remember, what was going on back then and how I was feeling.

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

A paper crane my friend made and gave me

A CD my cousin got me for my birthday, we saw the band in concert afterwards

My collection of games and movies

3 statues and a book given to me by shadowspirit26 :slight_smile:

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I used to have a toy raccoon as I was a kid, also lost in a move...

Right now I don't carry around anything except a few pics, a moderate amount of memories related to my deceased partner. There is maybe this little bag my grandmother gave me as I was 15. Honestly I wonder how this little money bag made it through all my moves... To keep it wasn't intentional, at least not conciously-intentional. We should ask Freud about it...

... The bag reminds me of my grandma, that she... Just exists I guess...

10. HugasaurusRex

I do not have much of sentimental value. Not any more at least. I got rid of most of it when I was a teenager. Past Bailey was a dick to present Bailey.
    The only thing I have left is a porcelain chess set my nan got me. And it was the last thing she got me before she died. And also a postcard from her when she was on her last holiday to Spain. I hold the postcard the most as it is the thing that keeps me on the right road. The family knew (I did not at this point) that she had cancer and all chipped in to pay for her and one of her daughters to go to Spain as a 'last holiday' sort of thing. She obviously knew she had cancer, and the type, so knowing she did not have much time left she wrote all her grandchildren letters and postcards. All personal to each of us. And in the last line of mine, she wrote "keep true to who you are and let no one sway the person you want to be." Only thing I wish is that I understood what she meant by it at the time. But now as I look back I understand perfectly what she was getting at. I was always super close to her and when I was about 13 I remember having a rather deep conversation about life. And during the conversation I told her I thought I might be bisexual (*sigh* the reason I never talk about this...:tears: joys). And her response was exactly what she wrote in that letter. So for that reason. The thing I hold most dear is a piece of paper. And a memory.

11. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I keep in my "Memory Drawer" a drawing of Drifloon in a sheet of ripped notebook paper that is drawn by my best friend. That is the first gift I got from anyone in high school.

12. Jellal

My stuffed dragon Dragony. I remember when I knocked out his eye by mistake from throwing him around, and then I was a lot more gentle from that point onward.

Also, I have a music box/mirror that plays "Puff the Magic Dragon" when you wind it up. Every time I hear it, I'm transported back to my life at roughly three or four years old. I checked the date it was made, and it was produced the same year I was born, so that music box and I actually share a good bit of history together. :grin:

13. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My diaries. I've been keeping diaries for eight years now. I like to go back and read some of the stuff I wrote when I was younger. Some of the entries I wrote in first and second grade are silly and random, while the ones I wrote less than five years ago bring old thoughts back to me and remind me of past events.

14. heandsheisme

My first one is my baby blanket, still sitting on the shelf. It is green, and I hope to one day pass it along to my child.

My second is a plushie that I bought at my very first convention: Anime and Gaming Ohio 2013. It is Konoka from Magical Teacher Negima. It is a little worn now, but that is because there were many nights where I would have it while I slept, cause I was depressed or lonely.

This last one is gonna sound really weird...

It is a pair of cotton hipsters. Yellow, with a pink elastic band holding it up. It has Fluttershy on it from the current version of MLP. I bought it in this three pack with a gift card for ThinkGeek I had won from a small convention in my hometown back in October. It was the first piece of women's clothing I had ever worn. It started me on the path where I am today: here on this forum, secure in the knowledge that I am bigender, and trying to figure out how to express myself as a woman.

15. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I have this old Moxie t-shirt that used to belong to my grandfather. Moxie is this type of soda mostly sold around where I live and very few people like it because it has a very unique taste, kind of like "licorice and cough syrup" as some people have described it, but my grandfather used to drink it a lot and I tried it a lot when I went over my grandparents' house and that's how I started liking Moxie and now it's my favorite soda:slight_smile:

16. heandsheisme

I have a friend who has brought Moxie and Inca Cola down here to Ohio from visiting his family in New York. Moxie is GOOD!

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Moxie! ^^ I got it while I was on vacation because I heard it was only available in the area. My parents hated it but I thought it was awesome. :lol: Mm, now I want some more, since you mentioned it...

18. guitar

My most sentimental things to be items I've taken part in creating - like CDs I've recorded, or pictures that mean a lot to me. Otherwise I have sentimental things that mean a lot to me, such as my first guitar or a favorite video game.

Other than that I tend not to be too attached to most items I own.

19. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm practically ready for the abbey, as I have no real attachment to my worldly possessions.
    [​IMG]

However, I used to. A couple of years ago (four?) an acquaintance of mine went on holiday with his mum to the Bahamas or Florida or something. We really only knew each other through a mutual friend, and didn't get along too well. When he came back from his trip, he gave all of his friends cool souvenirs and knick knacks. And weirdly enough, he gave me a rounded purple and white seashell.

Whether he gave it to me out of some strange sense of obligation, or for another reason, it always reminded me that people are full of surprises. Unfortunately, I lost it on a hike a while back :frowning2: Oh well.

20. The Wallflower

I keep nothing. No keepsakes, no pictures, no souvenirs of any kind. Do I doubt it? Not currently, but I'm pretty sure I will.

Don't bother giving me a baseball hat from NY or a snowglobe or any of the sort. It's not to be rude... I'm just not interested in having these things. I just see it as another item taking up space. Plus, I don't like reflecting on the past too much.

I do however get attached to some things such as my pillow, some movies... but they're not things I would cry over.

My only regret is not taking more pictures of my dog. I only had one picture of him as a puppy that I unfortunately erased. Once he got lost, I searched frantically for days, and he didn't show. He was gone, and I had no memories of him. I remember that a few days before I lost him, I just hugged him and said ''I don't know what I would do without you...''

That is the last thing I said to him. My only memory.