1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out strategy, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by europeanguy, May 24, 2015.

1. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    okay so here is the plan: i hate change, like really hate it... fear it even. so heres what i thought since i don't want my family to think of me differently, they will say they wont but they will! so i figured id wait till uni then tell them on skype... its not that they are homophobic its just that im a coward... since id be miles away id feel safer and more protected. what do you think? any possible backfires? anything wrong? id really appreciate the feedback.

2. HugasaurusRex

Kind of hard to say to be honest. Personally if I was in the parents shoes I would rather hear it directly. As it would show more respect. But then, I can also understand that that is not always possible. Have you tried to talk to them about LGBT topics to see how they respond? And it is not being a coward. Coming out can be a big thing for most people, it sure was for me. I also saw in your Bio that you live where being gay is mocked. I did not think Leeds was that bad? Or do you mean a specific area within Leeds?

3. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    i live in selby, here its common belief that being gay is a choice not a genetic possibility, that one can turn gay and so they take offense to anything gay. gay people are the but of every joke. if you are a known gay person you get called some very nasty words i wont repeat here. you can get mocked and stereotyped, they call everything that they dont like "gay" they constantly say "you better not be bent!" to other people as a threat. i have tried LGBT topics, they are very supportive of LGBT rights. however my dad makes gay jokes all the time to be funny...dont know whether he'd stop if he knew or he already knows and is doing it anyways

4. ThatGuyT

ThatGuyT Guest

I also think that doing it face to face would be better....but, skype is not a bad idea. The only way I ciuld see this backfiring is if you were very dependent on your parents for tuition fees or stuff like that, and they were homophobic. But since they are supportive I don't think that you have to worry about them refusing to pay your tuition or rent etc. :slight_smile: If you feel more comfortable coming out over skype so be it. People have come out via text messages which is waaay less personal than skype.
    Whatever you do I hope everything goes well. I can only hope that I muster up the courage to come out to someone some day...
    Good luck.

5. aidan

I was the exact age you were, and the exact situation you were in. I was really afraid of my dad finding out I was gay, because he made jokes all the time. I felt isolated and surrounded by homophobes. Whenever I came out, I discovered it was a problem of perception. I was not surrounded by homophobes, but I paid special attention to them. I always focused on the negative whenever I was in the closet, and always feared the worst. But nothing that I feared came true. Instead I felt relief, happiness and supported. I was still scared of what people thought, but over time I came to care so much less.

I have a lot of social anxiety, and I came out through fb messenger. My best friend who also has social anxiety came out through that too. We're not cowards. Neither are you. Coming out is your own personal journey and you need to do it on your own terms, in the way you feel best comfortable with. You shouldn't feel pressured to do it in any traditional way because the end result is always gonna be the same.