1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you cope with sadness or anger?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by The Wallflower, May 24, 2015.

1. The Wallflower

How do you deal with life when you are just overwhelmed with these intense emotions? Do you punch a pillow, scream, get drunk, talk with a friend... or do you not deal with it at all? Do you just let it pass?

I personally need to hit something or someone whenever I feel anger. If I'm sad, I will usually do nothing but lay in bed or play videogames. (Which I realize is not the best way to deal with it, but it is what is is.)

2. Simple Thoughts

Bottle it up, bottle it up, bottle it up

That's how I deal with my problems.

Keep them all to myself and then wonder why my mind is always racing with thoughts instead of letting me sleep at night. X3

3. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Pretty much. Then I explode, either by crying or punching/destroying something.

4. BlueRam13

BlueRam13 Guest

Exercise & meditation

5. MrSkittles

I just cry it out

6. Simple Thoughts

Strangely enough I never have exploded and I haven't shed a tear in like 10 years X3

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This.

I also channel it into writing, providing some amusement/comfort for others, or to draw some humor from. Often times, I'm funniest when slightly annoyed.

I haven't been so sad I'm out for days, maybe a few hours, but not days, in years. And even then, I pushed through it.

As for anger, I haven't gone into a punch-everything-fit in a few years. By hitting sand/punching bags almost daily, I can release that, or by going for a walk or jogging I can physically vent.

It doesn't totally get rid of my feelings, but it makes them manageable, and keeps them useful instead of being weaknesses or ways to sabotage my life.

I use my emotions for my own means, instead of allowing my emotions to dictate my life. I stumble a time or two, but it is important I get right back up. Otherwise, I can only expect what I wallow in to be the remainder of my life.

Fuck misery and fuck rage, LOL.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the past, I would have thrown things - at the wall, at people, or wherever.

These days, I try and remove myself from the situation - go for a walk, a run, listen to music - I dunno. Anything that doesn't involve me flying into a fit of rage.

I do remember one occasion that I was so fucking infuriated, that I went into my bedroom and literally screamed. I felt a lot better after that - but people were starting to get the impression that I'm a psycopath.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You... need to box. I think it would do wonders for you.

10. The Wallflower

Sometimes, when I'm feeling really depressed, I go through a type a self harm-- let's call it emotional self harm-- to get myself to cry. It sounds weird, but I like to cry. It really helps me release all my stress.

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not the first person to suggest that - it's something I've considered.

As for sadness - I haven't properly cried in years. The last time was probably 9 years ago when my dog died.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I don't do it very often... in fact, I've done it three times in the past two years, and only because I was asked to.

It's a good way to let off some steam, but you need a cool partner. Otherwise, you start hitting harder, people let their pride come into play, they get mad, and everybody is actually trying to hurt one another, which only makes tensions flare and-- well, yeah.

The guy I sparred with was like that. Each time he'd say, he was fine. We'd jab at one another, but when he'd hit me harder, I'd hit back, and eventually he started going into that pissed off, rapid swinging nonsense... but he calms down when I knock him on his ass, LOL.

#12 Kaiser, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
  13. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

If I'm really upset then I'll have a good cry just to release all that pent up emotion because for some odd reason when I'm sad, I cry. When I'm angry, I cry...most of the time. Other times, I rant to a friend, go for a walk/do some form of activity, have some tea to calm down, cuss up a storm or just write it all down.

14. twister692

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Bottle it up mostly or just dwell on it 24/7. I'll talk only certain things out with my best friend, but most anger and sadness recesses deep into internal abyss.

15. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mostly just bottle it up. When I am sad, I would just sleep early rather than spending most of my time in front of the computer. And when I am angry, I would talk to myself as is I am talking to the person I am angry at. And of course, it all end up in me praying.

But I make artworks when the emotion is too much. For the last 3 months, I only made 2 artworks because of too much sadness (and that is a good sign). Tho I havent made an artwork yet because of too much anger.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bottle it up in an empty wine bottle. Jk. I'm not sure.

17. Gandee

Gandee Guest

By mixing alcohol and benzos, good thing that I don't get angry or sad often now.

18. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I cry very often.

19. White Knight

Depends more than situation than emotinos themselves.

A broken heart by a boyfriend... Tori Amos archieve.

A broken heart by losing someone I love... live every aching moment by trying to remember our moments together. As human brain usually brings out funny memories on times like that it helps me to smile.

Anger is similar... either I swear under my breath or punch reason of anger in the face. As I become more tolerant in years if someone can bring me punch in the face state they probably had it a long time coming.

20. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When I'm sad I cry my heart out and get over it.

When I'm angry I think a lot of things about how mad I am and then rationalized it without doing it for real. Sometimes I remind myself that those things that causes you anger is not worth it. I shouldn't let it consume me because in the end I'll be the one who'll suffer.