1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypocrisy a losing battle

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, May 26, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People always want to fight over hypocrisy on every issue and there are so many ways you can make someone a hypocrite. Do you think the fight over hypocrisy is ridiculous and in the end everybody loses. I think in life it is good to real and to mean what you say but at the same time you can be a hypocrite without really knowing it. You see it in politics often parties accusing each other of being hypocrites and and it also goes along with religion and reality tv I think when arguments get to the point where someone accuses you of being a hypocrite it is a losing battle and i am not talking about arguments on here in particular but in general. Like for example my mom and sister accused me of being a hypocrite for demonizing Josh Duggar because he accused me a homosexual of technically being a pervert. Which is stupid but it is sad they are so into the show they don't want to admit to people's wrongdoings.

2. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are all hypocrites to some extent. It is human nature to hold others to higher standards than we hold ourselves and our friends. We are quick to criticise, but act hurt if anyone critiseses us.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I call it the Vladimir Putin defense: calling hypocrisy ti deflect legitimate criticism, especially when used to invalidate the criticism, rather than creating a reciprocal demand.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Everyone is a hypocrite to some extent, however, I feel there's a huge difference in situations like you said; to outright HATE a whole group of people and yet have done far worse sins and crimes yourself.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I agree everyone is hypocritical to a certain extent but at the same time it does not make point about bad behavior unvalid. Such as Josh Duggar molesting young girls and accessing homosexuals of being perverts at the same time with no valid evidence to suggest that. We can all agree we have faults but at the same time this kind of behavior stated above needs to be called out.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone's a hypocrite even me.

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is yet another issue that people need to be more wary of.

First off, if you're going to call out hypocrisy, what is your point? Is hypocrisy part of the topic, or are you simply calling out hypocrisy to, as Pret pointed out, deflect criticism?

Next, I find that many people who call out hypocrisy don't know the stakes or truth of the situation at hand, and they call out those who are trying to get an equal voice hypocrites (see: reverse racism).

So before you call out hypocrisy, I think it's best to think twice before casting the first stone. If you're clear, go for it. If not, it's going to hurt you in the end.

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great point. I think i need to isolate myself from my sister and mother for awhile it might create stupid questions and thoughts also but what could be worse. They are not good for my sanity!