1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrating

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, May 27, 2015.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hi guys,

Want to know your opinions.

do you think its too old for a 35-40 yr old to have a desire to migrate to another country, find a new job there and settle down there?

This is not to hurt the feelings of the age group. I'm sorry if it did. Its just that I want to know your opinion whether is it possible to migrate at that age.

Thank you.

#1 potofsoup, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure why it should be. I would happily consider moving to another country and I am almost 47. Language and culture would matter most. I have lived in the US, and wouldn't really want to live there again, but would consider it if a job was involved. Most of Europe would be ok.

3. Decandyman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Your never to old to travel and settle down and it would be a fantastic experience to live within another culture and society and learn the way of life specific to that country.

I guess you should follow what you believe is right and what your heart and mind says.

4. randomly me

randomly me Guest

There are a lot of migrants living in my part of town (and some in that age group )all i can really say from experience is that it's a matter of attitude.Some really make an effort to learn the language etc. others don't understand a word and let their children translate for them.
    So if one really wants to and is interested it should be no problem.

5. lemons123

Sure, why not? You may google 'ageism' 0_0. It's like saying people over 60 shouldn't migrate...or people under 20...etc.

6. MORTAL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why would it be a problem? And yes, it's certainly possible! I think you should be more concerned about the language and culture of the assuming country than what people think of your age. Also consider employment prospects and if it's feasible financially and in the long term. English speaking countries would be ideal, assuming English is your first language.

All the best!

7. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It shouldn't matter, but you might end up in a trap where you won't be able to find a job that suits you. You should also have some savings and be ready to learn a new language and adapt to a new culture. You will most likely face some discrimination and xenophobia, so you should be mentally prepared to just shrug it off and continue with your day.

There is also the problem of getting a work visa, residence permit, etc. Many countries have very strict laws that basically forbid anyone from settling there on their own choice. Switzerland and Austria come to mind, their immigration policies are borderline nazi. If you have any chronic illness you might be refused medical insurance, this was the case in the US for everyone up until several years ago. Be careful about that.

My suggestion would be to research everything you can before taking the big step, but age doesn't matter very much if you're in the 35-40 age group.

8. tscott

I don't think it would be a problem. At 35 I was what was referred to as a "trailing spouse." When we moved from D.C. to Dallas...believe me it's a different country. You look for a new job or/are accommodated the company for which you worked. I gives a new perspective on things. If I had the opportunity at my age I'd take advantage of it.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not too old.

10. Foz

Foz Guest

No not at all. My family moved out to the US twice, in 1991 and 1997 and my dad was in that age range and my parents had a new baby both times! So I'm sure someone without kids can do it too!

I have a US passport as I was born there in '92 and have considered using it to move there a few times, I'm 90% sure I'm moving to North England before I'm 30 as I just don't feel any connection to Scotland since the referendum.

11. Lyana

Nah, course not. My father's over 50 and recently emigrated to a country he'd never been to and whose language he doesn't speak. It is possible. But he has lived abroad in the past, so it's not like it's a completely new experience for him.

I want to do that, too. I want to live all over the place, and I hope I won't be settled by the time I'm 40.

You just have to be realistic about job prospects. It's good to have an idea of what you're going to do!

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Age does not determine whether one should or should not migrate in my opinion.

13. Miko

Miko Guest

I have a very unique perspective on life, do whatever you want, whenever you want. Besides, looking at how stem cell and telemere science is going you never know when the cure for aging will come around the corner. :icon_wink

14. HugasaurusRex

You are never too old to move elsewhere and settle down! I would hope not at least. As I want to move to Germany but that won't be able to happen for many a year!