1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kind of wondering. How many people are on anti anxiety and depressants?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by brainwashed, May 27, 2015.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm wondering how many people are on anti anxiety and depressant medication? If so do you think its because you are suppressing your sexuality?

2. tscott

Both - possibly

3. Foz

Foz Guest

I was on them for a while, but then I bought my car and I found my right foot was a much better anti-depressant :grin:

I wouldn't say they suppress you sexuality, that will exist independent of anything, but they can cause low libido, difficulty getting an erection etc. etc.

4. TheStormInside

I am. I think repressing my sexuality played a part, but it wasn't the entire cause. I couldn't really even address my sexuality until I dealt with other issues in my life. But I am starting to feel more confident socially, now that I am less worried about hiding this aspect of myself, or policing my own thoughts and feelings. I don't think I had any idea the level of energy and attention it was taking until I became aware of the fact that I was doing it.

5. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very good information Foz. Thanks.

---------- Post added 27th May 2015 at 08:58 AM ----------

Good info TheStormInside. Thanks. I feel you hit the nail on the head. I like your comment, ".....level of energy and attention......"

6. Blakeee

I'm on Lexapro for anxiety but I think that it doesn't have to do with my sexuality. I've had anxiety and depression before I realized I was queer. It's gotten a bit better since I accepted my sexuality though, so maybe it did slightly affect it.

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reason for thread. I know person x. They are not on ECs but I told them about ECs. I strongly believe said person is gay but cannot accept it. Thus they are on anti anxiety and depressant. (Yes I am fully aware, dealing with sexuality may not be full reason for medication.)

8. Miko

Miko Guest

I take anti depressants but not due to any depression caused by my sexuality/peoples reaction to my sexuality.

I take anti-depressants to help deal with bipolar, I have relatively minor bipolar, tried a few drugs and a fairly low does of anti-depressants seems to be what works best for me.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm on both, and I suspect sexuality/gender might have played a role, but not the only reason (upbringing, environment, genetics).

I've always suspected well over half the population is on some sort of medication. There seems to be a pill for just about everything.

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm on Lexapro. I started taking it after being out of the closet for five years.

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Used to take antidepressants. Came off them on my own accord.

12. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Im on medications for being Bi-polar.

13. TheStormInside

Well, there are a lot of reasons people go on medication, it may have to do with this person's sexuality, and it may not. Are you out to them yourself? If not, if you want to help them coming out to them yourself could help them open up, too.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Anti-depressants tend to make me more violent and pissed, so I've avoided them for several years. And this was after trying many.

Sexuality had very little to do with it, as I had other issues going on. They were prescribed as sort of a last resort, but failed by making things worse, and that was that.

15. nicodiangelo

Out Status:
    A few people
    On fluoxitine, and idk maybe

16. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm on medication for my anxiety but my anxiety is related to so many aspects of self esteem, confidence, genetics, and environmental. I grew up with anxious parents who raised four anxious people who comes from families who self medicated their anxiety. I see a pattern!

Unchecked anxiety is just something that is handed down my family line (both genetics and environmental if I had to guess).

As some people have stated above, excess anxiety has multiple causes and from my own experience has many out puts. In my case me being uncomfortable with my sexualtiy was one of the many outputs that my anxiety appeared but it was far from the only one.

17. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I am. I'm on something that helps with both anxiety and depression. Been on something for about 6 years. It could potentially have something to do with sexuality, but I doubt it. There's a history or depression in my family, and I've had anxiety for as long as I can remember.

18. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family has a deep history of anxiety and depression. My great great grandma actually ran out in front of a car and killed herself. I have anxiety and depression and am currently on wellbutrin. My brother and male cousin have the same type of anxiety and depression.

19. Zombi3

I guess its the majority...

20. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm currently the first person (that I'm aware of) of my family that has on my own seeked professional help with regards to my anxiety. I'm kind of proud of that.

I want to improve my life so that anxiety doesn't control my every action (or in many cases inaction).

I have also realized trying to convince others (my family) that they too can achieve benefits by seeking help does not always pan out because you really have to want to change to make a difference.

Its a long road to travel.