1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tips on staying focused?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Magnemma, May 27, 2015.

1. Magnemma

Magnemma Guest

Earlier this year i started online school when school in argentina didn't work out very well. Although my brother was always on my back about working i never did. Now i have half a year of school work to do in like a month.

So how do i focus? how do i avoid procrastinating every time i sit down?

2. EnviroLady

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah online study, I hate it. Maybe find a study partner? Get out of the house to do work maybe take laptop of you have one to the local public library or university library. Break the work into small chunks as lots of work is overwhelming. Think about why you signed up in the first place. Talk to other students and the course coordinator if you are having any difficulties.

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a learning disability which makes it hard to focus. I have found focusing is better when I remind myself of the conciseness of what happens when I don't

4. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting and on time.
    I just started my first ever online college course, Its a summer class through the college and only offered that way, since I have to have it, I had no choice.
    right now Im actually sitting here with my next two assignments done and waiting for the right dates to submit them. I actually find that I am looking for more to do and that it seems to be moving too slow for me.
    I currently have a Masters degree in Computer Security, and a Masters in Business, Im shifting focus and going after a Psyc degree now because Im basically bored. current online class is an Ethics class.

ohhhh,, look,, a squirrel!!!!!

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do online school too but I'm way more caught up than you (no offense) hoe stay right when you get the classes in the first few days just do a ton of work and then you can do small amounts of work later on.

6. popcorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Set yourself a target. How much time do you want to spend studying at a given time and how much you want to get done.
    Reward yourself.
    Take breaks regularly. Go for a walk.

7. Magnemma

Magnemma Guest

Thank you for all the ideas. Ill definitely use them!

8. Tyrael

It's worth keeping in mind that there's no such thing as procrastination. There is only having your priorities out of line. Doing something else when you should be studying is putting that "other thing" above studying in terms of your priorities.

Perhaps make a list of things you like doing (tv, games, books, dvds etc). Studying is your top priority right now so should be at the top of this list. Of course there are things you have to do (chores, school, etc) but they won't eat into "free time" where you have a choice to study or not.

Then all you have to do is take this list and work it into a routine. Whenever you have free time where you can do what you like, look at your list and remember that studying is your highest priority. So you set time aside for studying, then fit your other stuff in after it. If you have two hours to kill after dinner for example, study for maybe 30 mins then watch some TV.

One thing I must say though. If you're going to study, do not have your tv on, music playing, facebook etc open. These will distract you and you will just be wasting precious study time. Dedicate the time to study and make sure to make time to relax as well. Just remember your priorities.