1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did opponents of interracial marriage think that same-sex marriage would ever happen?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, May 28, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So this just got me thinking...

Interracial marriage was illegal in some parts of the US until 1967. However, it was still looked down upon in the 1960s, 70s, and 80s but now the vast majority (like 90% or so) approve/support it nowadays.

Back then, were people who were against interracial marriage saying things like "We can't just change the definition of marriage. If we allow blacks and whites to marry each other, then that would open up a whole new world of problems. Next, people are going to want to marry their pets, children, their own brothers/sisters, people of the same sex, and for people to marry more than one person at a time." ?

I'm only bringing this up because people who are against same-sex couples from marrying each other like to bring up pedophilia, bestiality, incest, and polygamy (which I find is complete bulls***). I'm just curious if people who were against it at that time thought anything of gay people getting married. If they did think that allowing interracial marriage would also allow same-sex couples from wanting to marry each other, then do the opponents of gay marriage have a point when they claim that they think people would want to marry their dogs, children, etc. in the future? I honestly don't think that that will EVER happen, but I'm still curious what you guys think.

2. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Did opponents of interracial marriage think that same-sex marriage would ever hap

blacks were considered sub human when those laws were first enacted.
    as in, closer to animals than human. Its how slavery was justified.
    gays were never considered animals, the two do not really share a common bond.

3. lemons123

Re: Did opponents of interracial marriage think that same-sex marriage would ever hap

Answer:

Yes.

I totally see your line of reasoning...personally though: I am not against any of them. I'd approve both interracial and gay marriage, though saying you support "interracial marriage" sounds kinda silly these days, right? I mean as it's so obvious only people from KKK probably oppose it 0_0?

Though there's another "thin" reason that differs them: If I say I'd like to date any race over another I'd be labeled "racist" immediately by people who overreact. However if I say I am not into dating guys - then nobody will call me a homophobic...

So to summarize...saying you only date white or asian women someone calls you racist (happened to me more than once...) but saying you only find girls sexy you're OK. I think the logic is wrong here.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I don't really concern myself with what malicious people think.

5. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people

Me either, I have met more than my fair share of black women that I would have no problem calling my wife.
    saw one in the 7-11 this morning as a matter of fact.. LOL (although, I think her husband that was with her might have had objections to that)

6. ZenMusic

I see what you mean, but the reason people protested against interracial marriage was because of the idea that black people were animals who were not to be wed in the church. Gay people are seen as perverts who, once again, were trying to change the definition of marriage. They have this and the slippery slope arguments in common. Ironically enough, my Dad is married to a white woman yet is against marriage equality.

7. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people

funny how time changes things isnt it?
    who knows, 40 years ago if you and I were the age we are now, its possible we would have looked at interracial marriage differently.
    all I can say is that some of the most beautiful women on the face of this planet come from Mixed race marriages. ( that is only my opinion based on personal preference )