1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any runners here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, Dec 2, 2008.

1. starfish

I decided that I want to start running. I went for run today, I ran about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile and walked about 1.5 miles. The problem is that something is off with my stride when I run. I notice that the landing on my right foot is heavy and after about 150 yards or so I start to feel like I am going to fall forward. I tried pushing through it but the feeling just gets worse. I'm not getting dizzy or anything like that if I stop running and keeps walking I'm ok.

It may just be that I am out of practice. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

2. Apocalypte

Have you got proper shoes? I find a massive difference in my stride between my 2 pairs of running shoes (New Balance 767s and Brooks Dyad 4's), so if you're in bad shoes then this could be part of the problem.

3. Nixon

not a runner sorry

4. starfish

Good point on the shoes. I have another pair of shoes I can try next time I go out. The shoes I wore tonight are more of a trail shoe and I did notice that the cushioning on the ball of the foot was not quite enough when I was on the sidewalk. I did part of my run on a trail and now that I think about it I did not get the falling sensation while I was on the trail.

I may just need to bite the bullet and go down to one of the running stores and get properly fitted.

5. myra

If you are planning on making this running a long term commitment, the first thing you need is a good pair of shoes that give you the proper support. If they have enough cushioning and the right arch support, the impact of your body weight on each step will be less painful. Also, i would visit a chiropractor once a month or as needed. Your joints will experience wear and tear from running and he can keep your hips in the right place. Make sure you run heal to toe for distances over a sprint. And try not to pronate as it will do damage to your feet, ankles, and knees. As a final note, step lightly when you run. The impact from each step on your joints and feet ( i believe this is what my cross country coach told me) is equal to 7X your body weight! Make sure your form is right and the running gets easier. But a good pair of shoes is a must. My shoes for practice were a pair of mizunos. Asic is also a good brand. I had a pair of those for my spikes for races.

6. sdc91

I run 2-3 miles per day.

When you run, make sure you do a warm-up and a cool-up. You can do ladders for that (Walk, jog, walk, run, walk, then start). Beware of stretching... contrary to popular belief, it's bad for you and actually leads to injury.

7. Amy

Amy

*snort*
    Not here.

8. kevinx519

well actually stretching is a good idea because it allows your muscles to relax a bit more before running. make sure not to stretch certain parts prone to spraining though such as your ankles etc etc. stretching your legs (calves, quads etc) should be fine though. in fact, i find it a great way to avoid the extreme soreness after a run. my crosscountry coach always reminds us to run with the middle of our foot which basically means when you land your foot on the pavement, make sure its midfoot and not with your heel. im pretty sure this allows for less of a jolt on your knees when running. be careful out there as running can be very hard on your joints as myra has stated! i once ran down a hill and tripped over a pothole which injured my knee. it kept me from improving during my junior year of crosscountry!

9. SlickyPants

Running? Not unless I'm in a hurry to get somewhere. I typically walk about 10 km roundtrip to/from work though.

10. Jim1454

I took up jogging a couple of years ago. I haven't been in a while, as I've taken to swimming instead. But what did I learn when I started?

Don't do too much too fast! There is a chain here in Canada (and I think they may be in the US) called The Running Room. The founder actually wrote a book on jogging - and it's pretty good. Plan on going out for 30 minutes or so. Walk for 2 or 3 minutes and jog for 1. When you can do that consistently and without being too out of breath, then cut back on the walking and increase the jogging. Eventually work yourself up to walking for a minute and jogging for 10. 2 or 3 sets of that is all the exercise the average person needs 3 or 4 times a week to maintain healthy cardio capacity. The fact is that I never got up to that - I walk for a minute and jog for 2 or 3, and that's enough for me. I'd rather be able to do that consistently than injure myself and have to quit completely.

Wear good shoes. Again, a store like The Running Room will check out how much arch support you require. There are MANY types of running shoes, and it depends on your foot which kind you need. Check with a professional.

Stretching IS important. But you have to do it properly. Throwing your foot up on the kitchen counter and bending over to feel the pain in the back of your thigh is NOT proper stretching. It should be VERY subtle, and done in a 'neutral' position - usually on the floor. There is book called 'The Stark Reality of Stretching' by a Dr. Stark. It explains the concepts and the critical stretching you should do if you're a runner.

I hope that helps. Those are the things I had to be aware of.

11. sdc91

For the debate about stretching:
    http://running.about.com/od/running101/a/stretching101.htm

If you're going to stretch, do it after doing a warmup jog, and 30-45 minutes after you finish. Otherwise, it does no good and will hurt the muscles. You don't really need to stretch unless you're REALLY going to put stress on your body.

12. Jim1454

When you're 37, walking out to your car puts stress on your body. :grin:

13. Blaz

Blaz Guest

I run about 3 a day(I really should get back up to my normal. . .:frowning2: ) and I agree. Don't be stupid about the stretching. Also, keep it to a medium. Unless your going for an easy run the day before a race/marathon, streching does not need to last for more than 10 minutes.

14. TriBi

A good, well cushioned pair of shoes is essential. If you are going to be running long distance (like I used to...marathons & more) you should probably go to someone who can look at the way you run, or the wear pattern on your running shoes, and assess if you need shoes with any particular pronation/supination control. If you are only running short distances, unless you have some serious postural or bio-mechanical problem, a good, neutral well fitting shoe should be OK.

When you are young, and more supple, you can get away with little stretching. When you get older, the muscles tighten and you do need to stretch more. Stretching should only be done when the muscles are warm - and you should always slowly and gently ease into a stretch. You need to be aware of how stretches should be done correctly to have a positive effect. "Straining" is not beneficial, nor is "bouncing" in a stretch. A stretch should not be painful - if it is you are doing it wrong and may be doing more harm than good. It should be eased into, gradually feeling the muscle relax and extend, and held for a sufficient length of time (probably 30 seconds once 'full' stretch has been achieved).

Good luck!

15. kevinx519

i agree about the streching thing. a warm up jog is always good before stretching.

16. MyStIcAl WoNdEr

yep distance runner