1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do drag shows make you feel uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, May 29, 2015.

?

Do drag shows make you feel uncomfortable?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2015.
  1. Yes.

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. No.

33 vote(s)
    63.5%
  3. It depends on the situation.

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. I am not really sure.

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all, it is a free country. People can do as they want, provided they don't hurt others. If you are into drag, that is fine. I am not making this post to say all drag shows should stop.

For me, it makes me feel uncomfortable. I also started to think how it could easily offend trans* people. Are you offended by drag queens and the whole scene? Perhaps, I have these feelings due to being new to the community, but it just bugs me. I have no problem with more feminine guys(just dated one for 3 months); it just seems over the top for me.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If people want to do this, that's fine.

But I'll admit, some people in these shows make me feel bad, because I can't exactly pass at the moment. However, that's my problem and not theirs. I don't go around telling cisgender women, "HEY! STOP LOOKING SO DAMN GOOD, IT MAKES ME HAVE DYSPHORIA, BITCH!"

Some men may have a problem with drag queens, because-- actually, no, I don't want to bring femininity into this, LOL. I'll leave it at there.

3. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love drag queens! They are so fierce and fabulous:slight_smile: I've always wanted to go to a show but the one in my city is always sold out:frowning2:

I secretly want to be a drag queen, for a day:slight_smile:

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your input and (*hug*).

5. twister692

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ive been to one show and thought it was quite interesting and vibrant. Maybe it was because it was my first and only time. I wasn't uncomfortable.

6. AlamoCity

Yeah, they make me uncomfortable. Can't really give reason(s) because it's more of an "icky" factor.

7. biggayguy

Overall, I love drag queens! Yes some are over the top but I enjoy the entertiain. One queen in particular I've kissed several times. (Yes, I know he's a man.) He's nice looking out of drag too. The movie "Sheeba,Queen of the Desert" might help you see them as just people.

#7 biggayguy, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  8. Jellal

They do make me uncomfortable, more for in terms of personality than looks. They "act loud" if you know what I mean. My personality is the serious and quiet type. If that makes me boring I'm okay with that, but I hate hanging around people who never shut up and are always seemingly determined to prove how "fierce" they are. If you think I'm too dull for you, then maybe you should realize I'm not here on this earth to fucking entertain you.

Maybe you can pick up on the fact that I've had to live with a guy like this as a roommate in the past ... yeah it made me uncomfortable. Again, it's not the looks. It's the stereotypical in-your-face personality, and I can't take the cattiness, even the fake banter stuff. I see this with a lot of drag and believe me I 100% know it is NOT my scene.

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that's really a big part of it for me. The fake drama part....I am quiet too.

10. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My feelings exactly^^
    It's not the crossdressing that bothers me. I've done that many times myself. It's just that my personality and the personality of most drag queens just don't mix well.
    If you wanna go to drag shows, then by all means, do! It seems like it could totally be fun for some people, but I'm more of a quiet and reserved person and can't personally see myself enjoying one.

11. MetalRice

Not really.

12. Sevan

It's a show. For most of the people there, it's just a show they put on to feel good about themselves. There's nothing wrong with doing things that make you happy, especially if it makes other people happy. They aren't mocking a gender, they're just having fun and loving themselves no matter what they like to do.

Plus, drag king shows, though more uncommon, are awesome to watch.

13. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    For me, it makes me feel uncomfortable
    Can't really give reason(s) because it's more of an "icky" factor
    more for in terms of personality than looks. They "act loud"

These are some of the same reasons I've heard homophobes use when explaining why they disliked gays in general.
    Its a show, its supposed to be loud, the way they act is the what the crowd is looking for.
    look at them like actors playing a part. Some are very good at it, and well, some are not..
    but, they have fun, the crowd has fun. so, who cares.
    If we as a community want to be accepted equally, then we first have to accept all of our own community equally. and as a Bi person, believe me, that does not always ring true.

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wasn't trying to reject them. Just saying how I felt. Believe me, I know what you mean.

15. AKTodd

It's been a while since I've been to one, but they've never bothered me. When done well, they can be great fun.

As others have said, it's a show and entertainment and the 'over the top' nature of it is part of the show and the genre.

When I lived in Tucson, my favorite gay bar was on 4th Ave., a sort of artsy/niche business district in the city (at least at that time). They did a street fair every year which brought in a lot of people from all over the city (and the state for all I know). While it was going on the bar would be open during the day and would do drag shows. I went with my BF and there were parents with kids in strollers going in and obviously having a fun time. Since it was day time and part of the street fair, I seem to recall that the performers kept the humor and raunchiness at the PG level (the shows at night could be quite a different animal and definitely adult humor).

Todd

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I voted yes, but not because they make me feel uncomfortable. They would just bore me to tears. I've been to one bar where that was the theme one night and I was not paying attention. I was paying attention to who was in the bar, who was in turn paying attention to the drag show. I figured that those who don't like them don't go to the bars that have them.

Very different situation than just discussing more feminine guys in general. Some can be very kind and loyal friends, while some can be bitchy and wicked, and I will stay as far away from them as possible.

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I don't get it, because it emphasizes things like fashion and acting like a diva which I find to be generally useless and annoying. It doesn't make me feel uncomfortable though, if thats what someone is into I say go for it. Crossdressing makes more sense to me because I think it's dumb that clothes arent gender neutral anyway.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Nobody is going to use 'They're a real drag'?

I am so sad...

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on the situation.

20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

@ kaiser They tend to drag on too... it can be a royal pain..

#20 kageshiro, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015