1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as trans ftm

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Henry Oliver, May 29, 2015.

1. Henry Oliver

Henry Oliver Guest

Hi!

I'm thinking about coming out as trans ftm tomorrow to my family, but I'm terrified. When I came out as "lesbian", they were pretty accepting. I'm pretty sure that they do not support trans people, but I am not positive of their views.

This is really giving me anxiety. When I came out as "lesbian", I was scared. Now, though, I am terrified. Being lesbian and trans are two completely different things. I'm so scared right now that I feel ill.

Can anyone give me any advice? Do you have any stories or experiences of coming out as trans? Right now, I need all the support I can get.

Thanks.

2. EnviroLady

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey I think it is better to come out as trans than to hide. Maybe show them some YouTube videos of people coming out as trans and maybe the stories on their will help you. Sorry I'm not trans so the best I can do is direct you to trans content and say the community here is behind you.

3. Im Hazel

Firstly, this isn't really Chit Chat. In future serious content like this should be posted into the "Advice" section. (For this, it would probably go in "Coming Out Advice".) This allows more people to see it and just generally keeps things organized.

Right. So, have your parents ever said anything against transgender people? And I am not talking about crossdressers, or bathroom stuff or anything like that. Have your parents actually said that being transgender is awful, and that they would disown you (etc.). Because, transgender issues are under-publicised massively. When have you ever heard that kind of thing explained on TV? I mean, your parents probably don't know what transgender is, really. They probably know the tropes and stereotypes, but not the facts. And so you should explain the facts. Show them the NHS website, or the Mermaids. You can also check the information section of this website. That should help convince them that this issue is real, and actually has a massive effect. Explain about dysphoria (if you get it), and why they should use the right pronouns / name, and all the rest of it. Try to find allies first, if it helps. Do you have a liberal cousin, or aunt, or close friend? Try telling them first.

I don't know where you live, but if being transgender is illegal, then you should give it a miss. Also, if you are going to be disowned, back down and say it's a phase or whatever. Your safety is the most important thing, here. (I might post more later, but I need to go now.)

4. CyanChachki

Coming out as trans is really hard, especially if you don't really know where your family stands. As for mine, well.. my parents and sisters are a bit back and forth on the subject. I had told them many times before and my mother never wanted to discuss it and would even say things like "No one should get a sex change, it's unnatural" or something related to that statement KNOWING that I wanted to be a man.

To this day I still haven't officially came out, they just know that it's happening and they're still in my life, just not as much. I plan on moving away from my current location and starting over again. The idea of losing them hurt but I came to a decision which included me being who I am instead of waiting for them to come around. I would rather not keep transphobic people in my life and instead, replace them with people who are accepting of me in every way. This is something that I've always wanted and I'm not letting anyone tell me no or keep me from doing things that I want, just because they personally don't like it.

Granted, there have been people who are okay with who I am. I have a good support system and a good idea of where I want to go. I've also started my drag career as a drag queen and I absolutely love that as well. It takes a bit, I can't say that your journey will be the same but I hope that I've helped in some way.