1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Historical LGBT person you would champion to promote acceptance & understanding?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by brainwashed, May 30, 2015.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Follow up clarification. Civil rights in America did not just happen. They were fought for. Rosa Parks did not randomly sit on a bus in the white section. Her actions were calculated and planned by people coming together and working hard to right a wrong.

---------- Post added 30th May 2015 at 07:16 AM ----------

Ah cool. A person to read and learn about over morning coffee. Thanks.

4. Im Hazel

Alan Turing is one of my biggest heroes. Even before I realized that I was LGBT and stuff, I thought that he was just generally awesome. I liked him before he was cool! But, I guess I can't have him, so...

Oscar Wilde!

Probably one of my favourite authors of all time. Again, I didn't really know about his LGBT stuff, but I have read everything he's ever written. I have the Complete Works of Oscar Wilde on my bedside table, for if I ever get bored, and stuff. He was a brilliant writer, especially the Picture of Dorian Grey, and his plays like the Importance of Being Earnest.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think some key more liberal Republican figure. Chris Christie is the governor of a very blue state, NJ, sitting right next to New York. Of the Republicans out there, he is one of the few I can tolerate.

6. guitar

Turing is a great choice in terms of his impact on history.

Personally, as a metal fan, Rob Halford's coming out had a big impact on me. I was in 5th grade or so in love with Living After Midnight and seeing him come out on the news was so different for me. I didn't really know was gay even was then - obviously at that age human sexuality is new.

Freddie Mercury as well but I was way too young to know what that was. Ironically just a few years later Queen would become my favorite band as a kid.

The guys from Cynic coming out last year had a pretty big impact on me as well. By that time I had come out, but it was still nice to see that kind of solidarity in the metal community. "You're gay? Great, we don't give a shit. Keep writing killer songs."

7. Foz

Foz Guest

Samesies! I was obsessed with everything WW2 at the age of 9 and I thought he was an amazing person. It wasn't until about 7 years later when there was a documentary about him that I knew he was gay.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I made a mistake here because I don't think I understood the gist of the thread.

I picked Chris Christie as a STRAIGHT ALLY. He has some clout. His state is mostly progressive and I think he could make some inroads with some of the neanderthal minds in other GOP heavy red states. Or one would hope so.