1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight women calling gay men misogynistic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 741852963, May 30, 2015.

1. 741852963

Apologies in advance for the long ranting post.

It seems increasingly common for women (in real life and online), and even gay men themselves to describe gay men as "misogynistic". We even have celebrities endorsing such statements, with Rose McGowan claiming gay men were "more misogynistic than straight men".

Firstly I'd like to point out the utter ridiculousness of that last statement. Straight men are responsible for the vast majority of violence, sexual harrassment and assaults that women endure. Whilst crimes like rape aren't always tied to sexuality, gay male on female rape is practically unheard of in society. Much more common are straight male on straight male rape, and straight male on lesbian female rape. It makes sense when you consider the dynamics of "dominant" rape: its about assertion of power and this is amplified in a scenario where the victim would not even consent to anyone of the perpetrator's sex (i.e. in the case of straight male or lesbian victims to male rape) - their "virginal" status is what motivates the rapist.

So how a group who aren't statistically likely to be involved in the worst crimes against women are deemed "more misogynistic" than a group who are is beyond me. And even discounting severity of the sexism and looking solely at prevelance. Are we really to believe that an estimated 3-5% of the population manages to commit more acts of sexism than found in 95-97% of the population? So theoretically gay men are 30x more likely to do/say something sexist than straight men? Really

Secondly, whenever such discussions come up it usually resorts around suspiciously similar tales of "my gay friend always gropes my boobs" or "my gay friends say vaginas are disgusting". Firstly I want to point out that making unwanted bodily contact is unacceptable and harassment...but is it necessarily "misogyny"? Particularly when you factor that it has no sexual motive it is debatable. Are women who grind on gay men in bars or grab their asses behaving in a "misandrist" way (and if not why the double standard?), or are they just being rude.

I think the problem in women claiming misogyny is a particular problem in the gay community is one of hypocrisy. Of all the claims of misogynistic behaviour (groping, statements of genital disgust etc) there are direct equivalents amongst women. Just as men call women "bitches", women call men "dicks". Plus it is super common to hear women discussing how they find penises (be they on gay men or straight!) disgusting or making jokes about them (case in point - pretty much any chick flick, female-orientated TV series or talk show). Comments like "penises just aren't nice to look at", or "vaginas are just so much prettier" are heard everywhere. Is that "unacceptable and problematic misdandry" or is it simply women expressing their (albeit puerile) point of view. Likewise you have women who demean gay men by treating them like accessories. My point is how can we single out gay men for disrespectful behaviour and even label it "misogyny" when women quite frequently behave in the exact same manner facing no repercussion. The behaviour is obviously wrong, but it is wrong on both sides. This is not a "gay male problem" caused by sexism, it is a widespread problem to do with a lack of respect and basic courtesy.

Another issue I have here is straight women discussing "gay male privilege" (as recently demonstrated with Madonna's comments). It is the argument that by virtue of being men, gay men typically have a better position in society than straight women. to be honest I find such statements quite appalling. Whilst both groups are discriminated against, there are certain important things that straight women simply have not had to deal with (i.e. repressing their very core identity and/or having there very existence criminalised, viewed as disgusting or morally frowned upon), people can unfortunately still be fired for disclosing that they are gay in many places; whilst women are certainly held back in the workplace, once employed a woman is unlikely to be fired based on her gender (and she would often have legal protection if she was), as her gender would already be disclosed.

Now I know this topic will likely cross into discussions on femme-bashing, but I think this actually highlights another double-standard at play. Women are free to express their sexuality, even when it plays into embracing traditional "patriarchal iconography". A woman is allowed to watch Magic Mike, the Chippendales etc, and discuss her appreciation for certain masculine ideals (be it firemen, rugby players, or even hunky gay men!). Despite this arguably having a negative affect on male body image we allow this to go unchecked. By contrast women and other gay men are essentially entitled to "police" any homosexual desire that has its roots in traditional male gender roles. Expressions of desire for masculinity in partners, or even displays of behaviour defined by society as masculine are often heavily criticised as being "misogynistic" (I actually think this is true some of the time, but not always) or psychoanalysed as being self-hating, or having internalised homophobia.

The point is a woman can wear lipstick and a dress without facing abuse for "supporting the patriarchy", having "internalised misogyny" or "reinforcing unrealistic standards of beauty". She can even do so whilst being a staunch feminist (and I think that freedom to self-express is absolutely fantastic). However gay men seemingly are not allowed the same right to free self-expression and self-determination.

To conclude this rambling essay: gay men can be misogynistic, obviously. But I feel a lot of the time negative behaviour is wrongly categorised as misogynistic. I also do not feel misogyny within the gay community is in anyway remarkable or worse than in society at large, in fact it is likely a symptom of society at large.

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Some people will make up anything they feel like about you and blame it on misogyny, I would just ignore them

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been called a misogynist by some women because I do not not fit their preconceived image of a gay guy - one who is likely to side with women and lambast their straight male companions as chauvinistic pigs. Some straight women seem to expect me to be more like them for whatever reason - always take great pleasure in them discovering that I'm not.

4. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard this claim before and I find it largely unfounded.

Yes, there are some gay misogynists out there. "I'm so glad I'm not attracted to women, because women are fucking stupid". That's an actual quote from a gay friend of mine. Lovely. But he's the only one like that I've met. And I think some of his bravado is for show and I question whether he really believes these things he says.

Saying genitals are gross does not make you a mis-whatever. Like you said, I hear it from men and women both. It might make you immature or overcompensating, but it doesn't make you a misogynist or misandrist. And likewise, harassing someone makes you a harasser and that's a separate issue, but it doesn't make you a misogynist or misandrist.

I see far more misogyny among straight men that I do among gay men. Sometimes I wonder if they're just jealous that we don't find them attractive lol.

I've met trans men who are misogynistic--does that mean I should label trans men as a whole as "internal misogynists" or some crap like that? Of course not. Bad apples don't kill the tree. They fall and rot lol.

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, and that thing about gay male privilege - make that gay white male privilege. Seems some people have objections to us being represented at all because the only thing putting us at a disadvantage is our sexuality. :rolleyes: Morons.

6. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard people claim that "gay white males" are "hijacking the LGBT community". :rolle:

It's like--do you want us with you or not?

7. Toblyawesome

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the generalization of any group in a negative light is just plain ignorance.
    Are there misgynistic gay men? Yeup, I am sure there are. Are they all that way? Nope. Gay men are people, not some random subspecies that come with a different set of morals. Just like anyone else you have a few bad apples, cause that's just how people are regardless of what they do with their junk.
    To say such a blanket statement is unfair to a community of people who have a better chance of understanding prejudice based upon uncontrollable variables(like gender, sexuality etc.) than most others.
    I don't understand why there are individuals that seem like they just want to make enemies. I dunno though, maybe I'm just a hippie when it comes to things like this haha.
    When you touched on the topic of Magic Mike and other such things I think you tapped into something I have been feeling for a while. Don't mind me just putting in my two cents about this.
    Is it just me, or has been become okay on the internet for women to sexualize gay men? Yet those same women will get angry when women are sexualized. It a strange double standard with women and gay men. I don't mean to say that this is the case every time, just that it happens more then I'd like it to.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your consideration.

I would argue that these straight women are simply wrong.

The only criticism I have heard is where some gay men get touchy and do inappropriate things like grope women's breasts, and think it's "okay" because "I would never have sex with her," and this behavior is rightly criticized.

So unless this behavior is a near universal from gay men (which I doubt), then it is inappropriate for these straight women to be making these specific claims.

~ Adrienne

9. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I've met a few fucking ridiculous feminine gay men who have said stupid shit about women.. Smart beautiful women I might add! I guess they were just jealous of them? I think misogynist fits their profile too though.

Let me tell you something though.. There are also gay men who stick up for women when noone else will! Just like there are misandrists in the lesbian community there are also lesbians who love guys. I know this because I fit the profile of a misandrist some days. It's really just distrust of guys :lol: so when I get to know them my dislike/suspicion usually dies down. I must not fit the profile of a misandrist entirely because there are a bunch of guys I like on a friendship/respectful level without really knowing them. I also hate some women sometimes too so?

It goes both ways but I'll admit I've met more gay who who dislike women then i have lesbians who dislike men. Also my distrust of guys started after I found out I was a lesbian? So that just adds to my confusion. I am not a lesbian because I don't trust guys. I simply adore women :lol:

#9 ChloeKiss, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I might take her more serious if she were a member of the LGBT community, actually sharing spaces and resources with misogynistic gay men, but as a straight woman? It makes her sound like a homophobic douche bag, painting every gay man with a broad brush.

Imagine if a white woman said "black men are misogynist". Sure, misogyny exists, but don't act like one group has a monopoly over it, because it sounds like you're going after the "easier" targets. Is it so wrong because it's misogyny, or because it's misogyny coming from gay men?

At some point it gets ridiculous, like when straight women say they're "ignored" at gay bars. Uhm, hello? You can't go somewhere and expect to be treated like royalty. Arguably, straight people have more places they can feel a sense of community and safety. Simply stop associating with obnoxious people.

11. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    While I have met some gay men who absolutely do hate women, they are so so so rare. Saying that gay men are more misogynistic that straight men is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While there are some gay men who do hold some very misogynistic views, I actually think that many more gay men are actually much more friendly to causes such as feminism.

It's not that non-white cis males don't want us in the movement, it's that they want some visibility to parts of the movement that aren't just gay white cisgender males. It has a lot to with intersectionality in the movement. People such as Harvey Milk and Alan Turing who were gay white cisgender males were important to the movement, but it's also important to include people such as Bayard Rustin, Ellen Degeneres, Laverne Cox, and others who do not fit that mold are also able to become more easily visible in the community.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Brilliant. I've seen this too. It's a convenient little weapon, as are the other current ones not related to gender - "you lack empathy" and "you have Asperger's," both diagnoses that lay people are not fully capable of making.

I use the 4 letter "c" word for women and the 5 letter "pr" word for men if the person is a detestable version of that gender. Equal opportunity is at work. It takes energy to dislike and harbor negativity toward people, but I've met women and men who have been fairly repugnant to me.

To call someone a misogynist or a misandrist would mean they dislike the entire gender, without exceptions. It is rather extreme. I'm sure there are a few here and there.

I've had more scrapes with women for the reasons mentioned above. I take a guy's side if a guy is right. I can't stand it when women who have the ability to be SAHMs think they can whine to me ad nauseam, nitpicking about some shortcomings and quirks of their husbands, and I'm not even talking abuse or communication that has broken down. I also don't like it when I am sideswiped just for the fun of taunting me or cutting me down to size, just like my broken record experience with a dental hygienist, because some women think they can do that. One friend said some women are frustrated by that because some good male specimens are out of the dating pool. Women bosses who are insecure and have to treat men more poorly while advancing other women is another insidious problem. Once you get past those groups, I communicate with women fairly well. The same is true with men. Once you get past the group that dismisses you because you don't share their interests, I probably get along with them slightly better.

---------- Post added 30th May 2015 at 03:51 PM ----------

I've met equal quantities. I've seen that more butch or militant lesbians tend to have more scrapes with guys. I've seen that the opposite ends of the spectrum among gay men - the severe looking leather guy who will mow down someone in his path and the highly flamboyant type tend to have more scrapes with women and make nastier comments.

#13 Tightrope, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  14. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Okay so I had a shit reply and felt like I needed to delete it.. I feel like the world just needs to light a giant bong and smoke it honestly. Because we can all admit that humans are not perfect.. And gender should not play a role in this. But unfortunately I do get more annoyed by guys then by women.. There are times I want to punch a girl so hard though.

I guess what i'm trying to say is.. noone has a good enough reason to hate an entire gender based on the few experiences they have with certain members of said gender.

Yes I have met more assholes then good guys in my lifetime but.. to even say I have met good guys is a good enough reason to not hate all of them? If you know what I mean? I have good friends who are guys.. and who I take side with sometimes over the stupid shit their ex girlfriends did to them. They aren't angels though and have made many mistakes. What human doesn't though?

15. Gen

Gen

After being on this forum for two years?

[​IMG]

But in all seriousness, I recognize that was meant to be strictly in comparison to heterosexual men.

~~~​

Misogyny is absolutely rampant in the LGBTQ community and homosexual men are without a doubt among the most guilty as a demographic; however, that has little to do with orientation and everything to do with the fact that sexism is simply a part of society and minorities are not immune.

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I was going to say, ever been on a forum dominated by straight men? It's a definite problem in queer men at times, certainly, but the magnitude is not remotely close to the same.

Now, if you want to talk about racism in queer men....

17. Gen

Gen

But that would require us to be able to admit its existence in any community...

[​IMG]

18. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

WHY do I find that gif cute?!

19. Gen

Gen

Because I specialize in cute gifs. :icon_cool

But not to derail the thread any further, it is Jeremy Renner.

20. Synthetik

Can we, though? Can we talk about how certain ethnicities are grossly fetishized and others are outright rejected? Can we talk about how people make clear and decisive statements like "I only date Asians" or "No latinos ever" or "Black men with at least 8-inch dicks only"?