1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in hypnotism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Geek, May 30, 2015.

?

Do you believe in hypnotism

1. Yes, but I haven't been

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. Yes, but I have been

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Neutral

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. No, but haven't tried

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  5. No, they tried but failed

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I was watching America's Got Talent and they had a hypnotist on.

[YOUTUBE]f9dFLXV9hs0[/YOUTUBE]

In my mind, hypnotism is like Santa Clause. Everyone just plays around to mess with people. What do you think? Is hypnotism real or fake and have you been hypnotized?

2. 741852963

It is real, but with stage hypnosis the effects are often exaggerated for effect.

Despite what is shown in stage shows, hypnotism cannot make an ordinary person act against their free will. Now perhaps if a person is especially suggestible or perhaps very tired/weakened hypnosis would have a stronger effect?

Now if the person is willing to be hypnotised it can indeed make them more relaxed and open to ideas, which is why the technique is often used in therapy. This definitely has some effect as it is actually widely supported as an option for assisting with pain related conditions, depression and even bowel/bladder problems.

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ What he said, essentially.

It's entirely real. There's really no debate about it.

The stage acts are just for show, however.

4. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure, and I've seen a friend get hypnotized for a stage act. I know he wasn't faking it. Doesn't mean it would work on anyone, though.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stage hypnotism is, essentially, bullshit. the "hypnotist" uses a combination of shame and the power of groups to get people to do what they do.

The stage hypnotist will bring a whole bunch of people up on stage and then look for the most suggestible ones (or at least, the ones willing to act like they're the most suggestible.) They'll always politely thank and release the ones that don't show signs of responding to suggestion.

They also make comments to the effect that only the most intelligent people can be hypnotized (which, again, is complete bullshit.) This, of course, implies to the subject that if you don't follow the hypnotist's suggestions, you're stupid.

Finally, people want to "fit in", and want to be intelligent... so they go along with what the hypnotist says, and what others around them are doing. That doesn't necessarily mean that the people aren't under some light level of suggestibility, but basically there's a soclal contract where people can do stupid stuff and then claim it was because of the hypnosis... which is partially true, but as others have said, no one can be hypnotized to do something they would not do while fully conscious.

The whole thing is a scam.

Now... on the other hand, genuine clinical hypnosis is quite legitimate and has a great deal of value in helping people with psychological, and sometimes with physical problems. Milton Erickson MD is the father of modern clinical hypnosis. Unfortunately, his technique and methodology isn't easy to learn, requires a lot of practice and skill, and so there aren't a lot of people who use it.

Most of what passes for clinical hypnosis today is NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) which is a very reductionist and mechanical form of Erickson's work. It is of very limited utility and doesn't have the long-term results or effectiveness of Erickson's work, but it is often used with some benefit.

6. Miko

Miko Guest

I'm friends with a hypnotist, they've helped me out a few times with de-stressing and coming to terms with things.

They're not a performing hypnotist though, they're a clinical hypnotist. Stage Hypnotism is, as Chip said, bullshit.

Clinical Hypnotism is awesome though, it can really help and it can even be a lot of fun too. ^-^

7. HugasaurusRex

Eh, never tried being hypnotised so I could not comment on the realness/falseness. But either way I do not desire to be hypnotised...I have secrets no one must know!

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe it's dangerous to have someone take control over you

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually one of the most common misconceptions about hypnotism. A clinical hypnotherapist can't "take control", as your unconscious mind is always present during hypnosis. That's why you can't be hypnotized to do something that would be out of your nature to begin with.

And since stage hypnosis is bullshit, no one ever actually gives up control; they're well aware of what they're doing... there's just a social contract in place that gives them permission (and encouragement) to look stupid.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really only works if you don't know how it's done. That's my experience.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe in it.

It's not for me.

I don't like any form of mind alteration, so I stay away from substances. I didn't even like the notion of going under anesthesia.

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The same.

Although I don't know much about hypnotism, it doesn't seem to be very real (the once performed on stages and such). Whether the "calm" ones work, I don't know, but it depends on the person I guess.

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hypnotism is a very real altered state of consciousness, but the main catch is that the person being hypnotised has to 1) trust the hypnotist, 2) believe the hypnotism will work, and 3) they will not be able to do anything against their will. Hypnotism is all about being in a very highly suggestive state. Stage hypnotism however is a bit exaggerated.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trust impacts the effect of clinical hypnotism, but belief does not... at least, if the hypnotherapist is skilled.

15. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stage hypnotism, meh. I agree to whatever Chip says. But I believe in the clinical hypnotism

16. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Not sure if "believe" is the right word here as it is something that can be tested. I will know it when I try it for myself.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You obviously haven't looked into my eyes.

^.~

18. ToneDef

ToneDef Guest

It depends on the person. If you allow yourself to be hypnotized, chances are it will work. I don't believe in it as it doesnt work for me but, like i said, everyones different.

19. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might just start posting this on all threads :lol:

20. biggayguy

My driving instructor tried to teach me self-hypnotism so I would be less nervous driving. It didn't work but I did pass my driver's test. I was shaking like a leaf but passed.