1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay men: Would you date a drag queen?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by scxred, May 30, 2015.

?

Gay men: Would you date a drag queen?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If no, why not?

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love individuality and respect anyone being themselves but it is not my personal preference. I like hairy bears young adult and old and they are not hard to find anymore so I cannot see myself dating one. Especially since I could care less about my clothes or my image.

3. Gen

Gen

Drag Queen is not an identity and very rarely is it a career. This is essentially asking whether I would choose not to date someone based on their hobbies. Of course, not.

All people who do drag are not naturally feminine nor normally present themselves as such either. I am not a avid follower of drag culture, but I would rather date someone who did drag than someone who was into drag than someone who was uncomfortable with the breaking of gender norms in general.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't now much about drag queens.... I mean, I assume guys can dress in drag on occasion for fun, and not have it be their entire persona, right? Are most drag queens always their persona in real life? I could date a guy who does drag occasionally, even if I find it a litte "wild" (it would be strange seeing a man in dating dressed up like a women with piles of makeup on). But, I don't know if I could date someone who lets their drag persona seep out of the occasional night at a gay club.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would I date a drag queen? Probably not. It would be like dating a cartoon character. Drag queens are larger than life, exaggerated, and basically a personality that's created for the stage. Nobody I know who does drag lives that way.

Would I date someone who does drag? Certainly. They can be some of the most amazing, open, and funny people you'll meet.

6. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have some lovely friends who do drag ( and I have to confess to doing a very bad drag act during our annual bear week in 2014) ...however, a friend of mine spent a few months in a relationship with a guy who did drag semiprofessionally... his experience put me off the idea of a relationship a bit. He said that he fell for Mark* but ended up spending more time with Marietta* . He would go out to dinner with Mark* and part way through the evening they would meet other people and Marietta* would surface. In the end he felt that the drag persona was taking over from the person he thought he was dating. He realised that it just wasn't working for him. In short, the fact that someone does drag wouldn't in itself put me off....but I'd want to be sure just who I was going to end up with.

* not their real names.

---------- Post added 31st May 2015 at 10:57 AM ----------

BTW , I really think the poll should have more options... I can't answer "Yes" or "No" with absolute certainty ...there should at least be a "Maybe" option :slight_smile:

7. PressPlay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No I would not...it's just not for me :slight_smile:

8. AlamoCity

I guess the best way to put it is that I feel I couldn't really date a person who does drag; "it's not you, it's me." I also don't feel like I could date a clown.

9. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Probably not, I'm not a fan.

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be fine with dating someone who did drag. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as they are able to separate their drag persona from themselves, which I haven't met anyone who is unable to do that. :slight_smile:

11. Formality

Depends. If I met someone who I liked really much and later found out they do drag, it's not like I'm gonna stop dating them.

12. PressPlay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [​IMG]

13. kingfisher

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    if they were a "drag king" i wouldn't mind or atleast think about it, you know :icon_wink

14. 741852963

I'm not massively au fait with drag culture, but from what I've seen from the limited glimpse in TV and documentaries the men involved usually are more stereotypically feminine outside of character.

Plus there are certain aesthetics I'd imagine would be carried over if the person did drag regularly: unless they were doing really subversive drag I'd imagine they'd stay well groomed/shaved and avoid putting on muscle mass. So naturally if someone has a preference for muscular or hairy men perhaps someone performing drag might not be their bag?

Myself? I don't think I would date a drag queen. A few reasons
    -a little of the above mentioned so might not be a preference. With exception, I tend to prefer masculine men.
    -I don't really have any interest in drag (I don't "get it") so I wouldn't share the passion with a partner. I do think it helps having a partner with at least somewhat matching interests.
    -I fear clowns (and no I would NEVER date a performing clown, EVER), so I guess this kind of follows suit! Drag queens are a bit like clowns to me.
    -I think seeing a man I loved in their drag form might kill the passion for me. I'd struggle separating the two characters in my mind, and as I have no major sexual interest in the female form this may be problematic. For the same reason I might struggle dating Jamie Dornan. He is very sexy....but Paul Spector though. I'd just keep thinking of the character!

---------- Post added 30th May 2015 at 02:37 PM ----------

We are on the same wavelength there!

15. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drag is an act and providing it remains as a stage performance, I see no problem with it. It would only be problematic for me if the stage persona crept into real life and began to negatively affect the balance of the relationship.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd probably date someone who did drag occasionally for fun (as I said), but I don't think people should feel bad about not wanting to date people with certain hobbies or careers. It's part of their personality, and you don't have to be attracted to every personality out there. I probably wouldn't date someone who hunted animals for fun, as an example. What someone likes says a lot about their personality!

17. Gen

Gen

This is because the people that you see in the media are attempting to make a career out of drag. Someone who swims or cycles as a hobby likely isn't going to care whether they gain significant muscle mass or happened to be very hairy. Someone who wishes to do those things professionally will have to make sacrifices. Rupaul wouldn't have had a chance to grace daytime television as an actor if his appearance wasn't significantly passable in comparison to his peers. Widespread media is not going to tolerate a rugged man in makeup and a dress regardless of how funny or talented he is at this point in time. It is no different than transgender individual who hope to become celebrities. There is no option to not be passable as the role or gender your present yourself in widespread media as such.

Most people who take up drag as a hobby don't jump through such hoops. They come up with a concept and have fun with it from time to time. Most drag queens do not pass and make no effort to erase all signs of being male. It would be logical to suggest that someone who enjoyed drag might be more likely to express more femininity in general life, but it is certainly not grounds to make a blanket statement, which is why my original point was valid. I have seen many DQs who were very masculine out of drag and I have always found them to be the cutest of the bunch.

You, however, are completely welcome to be apprehensive for your other personal reasons.

18. AlamoCity

I seriously don't even know what this means.

19. PressPlay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's best if you don't :icon_wink

20. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends what you mean by dating a drag queen. If you mean, "Would you date someone who dresses in drag as a hobby," the answer is yes. If you mean "Would you date someone who dresses in drag all the time," the answer is probably not.